WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

58 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

I go to that Specs and Half Price Books a lot and have used that emergency care spot too. This would look good in that spot but I wouldn't mind seeing the spot where Burger Kind was redeveloped first. Not sure how much people will love staying at such a nice hotel with the crowd that is always at the Valero and bus stop out front. Even the Valero locks it's doors at night thanks to the addicts using the bathroom.

If given the choice to stay at the BW on West Dallas, with no Valero across the street, for $150/nt or hotel with a view of Valero at Westheimer and Montrose for $200/nt...I would choose the view of Valero option...no question.  Location, Location, Location. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

2020 is just around the corner, what spurred me to remember this site that PMRG owns was a "For Lease Short Term" sign. Hate to lose Half Price and Specs, but progress doesn't care.

Uu3qLvZ.jpg

From 11/20/2013

APARTMENTS AND RETAIL FOR WESTHEIMER AND MONTROSE CORNER? NOT UNTIL HALF PRICE BOOKS AND SPEC’S SCOOT

Half Price Books in Westmont Shopping Center, 1011 Westheimer Rd., Montrose, Houston

The owner of the once-Art Deco but now slathered-with-stucco shopping center at the southwest corner of Westheimer and Montrose says it’s willing to wait 7 to 10 years for the center’s leases to run out before building something new on the site. Unless, of course, they can negotiate an early exit (or time-out while construction takes place) for the Half Price Books, Spec’s, Papa Johns, 3-6-9 China Bistro and Jack in the Box currently on the site. If they can’t buy out the tenants, PM Realty’s Wade Bolin tells Shaina Zucker, they’ll start leasing out the still-vacant spaces in the former Tower Community Center, which the company calls the Westmont Shopping Center. “PM Realty Group did not share early design plans,” Zucker adds, “but several sources confirmed the mixed-use structure could include residential with retail on the ground floor.” [Houston Business Journal; previously on Swamplot] Photo: PM Realty

Edited by hindesky
PMRG is now Madison Marquette, merger effective 1/2019
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, hindesky said:

2020 is just around the corner, what spurred me to remember this site that PMRG owns was a "Foe Lease Short Term" sign. Hate to lose Half Price and Specs, but progress doesn't care.

Uu3qLvZ.jpg

From 11/20/2013

APARTMENTS AND RETAIL FOR WESTHEIMER AND MONTROSE CORNER? NOT UNTIL HALF PRICE BOOKS AND SPEC’S SCOOT

Half Price Books in Westmont Shopping Center, 1011 Westheimer Rd., Montrose, Houston

The owner of the once-Art Deco but now slathered-with-stucco shopping center at the southwest corner of Westheimer and Montrose says it’s willing to wait 7 to 10 years for the center’s leases to run out before building something new on the site. Unless, of course, they can negotiate an early exit (or time-out while construction takes place) for the Half Price Books, Spec’s, Papa Johns, 3-6-9 China Bistro and Jack in the Box currently on the site. If they can’t buy out the tenants, PM Realty’s Wade Bolin tells Shaina Zucker, they’ll start leasing out the still-vacant spaces in the former Tower Community Center, which the company calls the Westmont Shopping Center. “PM Realty Group did not share early design plans,” Zucker adds, “but several sources confirmed the mixed-use structure could include residential with retail on the ground floor.” [Houston Business Journal; previously on Swamplot] Photo: PM Realty

If that was from 2013 than, if its the minimum years, most the leases should be running up by next year. At which time they could just buy out the rest.

• Like 2

wow that's exciting to see that short term lease sign...that means they mean business! cannot wait to see this redeveloped! i DO love that Half Price Books though...maybe they can move to that weird white 2 story building that changes occupants often next to Snooze? maybe not big enough but just hoping they keep one in that area in a cool and convenient location (I miss the other montrose location that was in that house off montrose! that place was awesome!)

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, crock said:

we desperately need to keep a halfprice books in that part of town. maybe they'll end up as one of the mid-sized boxstores in the area between Target and Krogers? 

I'm sure they'll find a place. I frequent that place a decent amount. Will miss it, if it finally goes. 

• Like 4

I can't imagine Montrose without a Half Price Books. If they are not able to land another location in the area with a lease that makes economic sense for them, it will be a clear indication that gentrification has finally succeeded in eviscerating almost everything that once made Montrose Montrose. 

(Edit: I added "almost" when I remembered that the real "last domino to fall" will probably be Rudz)

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think we’re fixated on the idea of losing something so precious to us but in reality, if this space is redeveloped in to a nice mixed use site, then landing another Half Priced Books shouldn’t be an issue, along with landing some other cool businesses. Let’s assume the development becomes another Heights Central Station type with multiple mid rise buildings and more pedestrian amenities, then we could really draw some nice retail in the heart of Montrose. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 8

• 7 months later...

Saw a thread on Nextdoor that was talking about it possible being torn down and I assumed that it was Montrose Collective, but someone else posted some links to some older articles when it was purchased back in 2012. 

HBJ articles from 2013: https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/11/happy-retail-tenants-could-slow.html

The owner of a partially vacant strip center at the high-profile corner of Westheimer and Montrose will have to wait until at least 2020 to redevelop the property because the remaining tenants refuse to leave.

The property's longest existing lease will expire in about 6 1/2 years, Gregory said.

Note: that article is from Nov 2013, so 6.5 years would be May 2020.

This article from May 2018: https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/05/29/pmrgs-ceo-rick-kirk-on-merger-i-couldnt-shoot-any.html

“The company's also working on development plans for its land at the corner of Montrose Boulevard and Westheimer Road, which currently houses a Half Price Books, a Spec's, a Mattress Firm and a 24-hour emergency clinic. By 2020, Kirk said that all the tenants' leases in the shopping center will have expired. Though specifics are light, he said the company will likely develop a mixed-use project with restaurants, multifamily and maybe even a hotel. ‘It needs to be a little different to fit that neighborhood," Kirk said. "We don’t want to build something that’s totally out of step with the vibe in that area.’”

So, does anyone have the tea?

Lots of commiserating about the loss of HPB, but that lot is like 60-70% surface parking and the appraisal in  2019 was $9 million. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Toopicky said:

I chatted with the owner of 3-6-9 this a.m. and he said his lease isn't up till 01-January-2021. At that time he plans to retire as he will have been in business at that location for 40 years.

Thanks for the reporting! Interesting info to hear. 

• Like 2

@Triton @Urbannizer @ekdrm2d1 @Subdude

Merely a suggestion. Combine the one in "Going Up" with this one in the Montrose sub-forum. Then if anything actually happens with this then it can go back on "Going-Up". I also suggest we keep the title of this one. Its more specific and not as ambiguous as the other one. Then again its whatever y'all decide!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Merged

Just now, Urbannizer said:

I want keep this one in going up. PMRG (now Marquette) has mentioned on numerous accounts that they plan to build mixed-use once the last tenant is out the door..

Appreciate it! I can get on board with that!

On 6/9/2019 at 2:36 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I think we’re fixated on the idea of losing something so precious to us but in reality, if this space is redeveloped in to a nice mixed use site, then landing another Half Priced Books shouldn’t be an issue, along with landing some other cool businesses. Let’s assume the development becomes another Heights Central Station type with multiple mid rise buildings and more pedestrian amenities, then we could really draw some nice retail in the heart of Montrose. 

I doubt a new mixed-use development here will feature Half-Price Books. Rents in new construction are typically much higher than in older buildings and mixed-use developments tend to like small retail spaces where they can get even higher rents. Used book stores seldom can pay high rent. HPB pays higher than most but their ideal is a large suite in an older shopping center in a visible location with lots of parking in front.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I doubt a new mixed-use development here will feature Half-Price Books. Rents in new construction are typically much higher than in older buildings and mixed-use developments tend to like small retail spaces where they can get even higher rents. Used book stores seldom can pay high rent. HPB pays higher than most but their ideal is a large suite in an older shopping center in a visible location with lots of parking in front.

Ok? Lol Well something else then

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Mixed-Use Development Coming to Montrose (1001 Westheimer)

There's a sign posted saying 'Short Term Lease Available', with a phone #.
I suppose if people are curious, they could call and ask how long a lease is available, which might give an indication as to when this project is slated to begin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Mixed-Use Development Coming to Montrose (1001 Westheimer)

Here's a better shot of the SF totals:

978370496_Screenshot(4).png.de0beb3c8e3eed3e8e342428057dd9f7.png

This is probably something like 700+ total residential units, between MF and condo, plus maybe 150-200 hotel rooms

The 3D diagram would also seem to indicate 3 levels of underground parking 😲  

Very ambitious. Probably something like a quarter-billion dollar build, on top of the land cost (which is prob worth low-8-figures).

• Like 7