WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

I don't know how much character is left to be derived from the gas station, fast food joints and the abandoned Blockbuster. Anything of sentimental value - Ruggles, the Greek place, Mary's...is actually a fair distance away from the actual intersection. I think there's a lot that could be done here, not all of it necessarily bad.

Edit: just re-read subdude's post - yes it certainly "used to" have character.

Edited by sidegate

I don't know how much character is left to be derived from the gas station, fast food joints and the abandoned Blockbuster. Anything of sentimental value - Ruggles, the Greek place, Mary's...is actually a fair distance away from the actual intersection. I think there's a lot that could be done here, not all of it necessarily bad.

Edit: just re-read subdude's post - yes it certainly "used to" have character.

I have a sentimental attachment to Felix (cue the Tex-Mex tangent) and a sentimental, if not culinary, attachment to the Taco Cabana. The neighborhood is going to hell in a handbasket these days. I drove by Diner's News awhile back and saw it was being gutted. Is it just a matter of time until Numbers becomes a Restoration Hardware?

I drove through that intersection yesterday and was appalled. The tattoo parlor is gone, the sex toy shop is gone, it's just all falling apart. What's worse, there seems to have been no effort made to save these historic landmarks of my middle age.

That was not just any "sex toy shop." That was Condoms Galore!

That was not just any "sex toy shop." That was Condoms Galore!

They're all a blur at this point. All I remember is they had The Rabbit when that was hot, and I think they had some realistic items under the counter when those were banned.

I should think it's a vital public service to have a source for the latest *cough* epicurean tools conveniently located at the intersection of Westheimer and Montrose.

.....cool. I'm derailing a thread with talk of The Rabbit while listeneing to my CEO talk of eventual layoffs and the potential new structure of our company. The internet rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

The pan-Montrose Management District that's in the works will probably play a big role in what this looks like. This from today's Chronicle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took about six years to create the East Montrose Management District, but there

The pan-Montrose Management District that's in the works will probably play a big role in what this looks like. This from today's Chronicle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ItAll directors are volunteers and either property owners or agents of property owners.

One of the "director" slots is reserved for the current president of Neartown--it happens he is not a resident of "east Montrose" but is a resident of general area "montrose"

And by pointing out NEARTOWN--any questions concerning the blueprinthouston "charette" can be asked and answered at their monthly meeting--March 25 7pm Cherryhurst Park Center 1700 Missouri

• 4 months later...

urban land institute architect renderings

post-1-12488817423439_thumb.jpg

the charrette was sponsored by the Neartown Asso and ULI the community leaders, businesses, residents and interested parties were asked to gather and tell what should be "in the Mix" for the "buckle" of Montrose-- the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer-- Walkability, multi-use -less traffic-- more parking--public art

were all elements--this is just one possibility

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like something out of a late 80's or early 90's cartoon or something. Come on, people!

• Haha 1

urban land institute architect renderings

post-1-12488817423439_thumb.jpg

the charrette was sponsored by the Neartown Asso and ULI the community leaders, businesses, residents and interested parties were asked to gather and tell what should be "in the Mix" for the "buckle" of Montrose-- the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer-- Walkability, multi-use -less traffic-- more parking--public art

were all elements--this is just one possibility

The sky is all purple, but I don't see people running everywhere.

I give this an A+ for ambition and/or sarcasm. I have to believe the illustrator realized that the only thing that is ever really going to happen here is maybe repaving of the sidewalks to make them squiggly, some flower beds, and purple or pink street signs. But hey, if you're asked to draw an idea I guess this works.

• Like 1

The rendering doesn't take into consideration the current traffic volume through that intersection. Actually, it doesn't appear to take anything about the intersection or neighborhood into consideration. It's just looks like a random street rendering based on someone's imagination without regard to the real world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The rendering doesn't take into consideration the current traffic volume through that intersection. Actually, it doesn't appear to take anything about the intersection or neighborhood into consideration. It's just looks like a random street rendering based on someone's imagination without regard to the real world.

So, you're suggesting that citykid drew this?

• Like 3

It does have a "Simpson's" quality about it. Maybe it's the cheap colors or the mundane sky. I say we build it. I'm sure citykid could add about 20 more floors to one of those towers. I would definitely approve of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1