WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

If you can find a picture of this plaza as it appeared soon after it was constructed, that would be great, too.

I've seen 'real' vintage photos, but nothing online. Prior to its 1970s 'update' :angry2: it was really quite attractive. Does anyone know what name (if any) this strip center had when built?

The current facade was installed sometime in the mid 1980s.

Check my post right above yours

There are also some cool pics of the theater and the center mixed in here

the houston deco and bailey photos were taken soon after it was built

here are direct links to the bailey photos:

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/image_lg....iable=e_bb_1781

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/db/dmr/image_lg....iable=e_bb_1782

inside of Half Price Books, in the buy-back area, there is some exposed wall and a window that weren't covered. i wonder what era it is from (wasn't HEB in there somewhere, too?)

You know, I'm starting to wonder if A-oaks is in charge of the Rail on Westheimer thing?

I guarantee you, we at RailOnWestheimer.org have no association with Afton Oaks. The people who are anti-rail are unwilling to support rail on any street whatsoever. We are a group of midtown residents who believe that ridership will be greater if the rail traverses Lower Westheimer through the heart of The Montrose. For those who believe in Montrose and Lower Westheimer, who live within walking distance of that intersection, they know what rail karma is and how it just fits there.

It's not too late to ask METRO to reconsider Westheimer, when it never got a fair vetting. Join the cause!

Check my post right above yours

There are also some cool pics of the theater and the center mixed in here

inside of Half Price Books, in the buy-back area, there is some exposed wall and a window that weren't covered. i wonder what era it is from (wasn't HEB in there somewhere, too?)

Thanks for the great links.

And yes, HEB was located on the west end of the building briefly in the mid to late 90's.

• 5 weeks later...
Let's bring the lightrail to Westheimer and Montrose. See

www.RailOnWestheimer.org

west_at_montrose_taco.jpg

What a mess that would be. I'm all about mass transit and trains, but Westheimer would be ridiculous.

Just look where it came from:

Tower Community Center

This is extremely depressing. Who thought it would be a good idea to cover this up? They need to restore the building and turn the Tower back into a theatre, that'd revitalize this intersection more than another wave of chain stores.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I've never posted here (I'm a lurker) but I just want to say that I don't mind the kids hanging out at all. I've lived in Montrose (On Dunlavy) for some years now and I hope the street funk doesn't go away. Clean and sanitized is not how I want my neighborhood. I actually enjoy the live entertainment at the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer and occasionally I fill my car up at that gas station (Valero?) just because I never know what I'm gonna see. Runaway kids will always go SOMEPLACE. Why not the Montrose? 30 years from now when all Montrose has is McMansions there won't be any runaway kids to worry about, anyway.

Seconded... since when have inner cities ever been the clean nice paradises that people want. Believe it or not, Houston has more than just steers, queers, and evangelicals.

the intersection is picking up new business

we just recently completed CD's for a new 24hour dinner where Alfredo's was located

3-6-9 chinese food is THE BEST. And they deliver. If you eat inside, its white linen service for a cheeseburger price. Everytime we go we wonder why its not packed.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Possibly but it's been vacant for years.

Charlie's is on the bend on Westheimer just west of Waugh, opposite the Hollywood Video store.

That is Chance's bar now. Charlie's has been gone for years, but they left the "eat here" sign (funny...or not).

Fences go up for concerts/events there.

Is there any news on getting that old Blockbuster leased out? This is one of the busiest intersections in town and it feels like Flint, Michigan, with that huge abandoned space there.

I agree. There's a lot about that whole intersection that could be radically improved.

HEB was in the back, where Spec's Wholesale is now.

Man, I love the original design by Finger. Just an example of a bad, more modern makeover.

I've heard it said that the trains can't make those turns on the curvey parts. Not sure if that true or not.

It's no more curvy than the part of the Red Line when it switches over from Fannin to Main, is it?

I don't think it's going to happen, but rail on Westheimer all the way down would be awesome.

I wish they'd close that Valero and tear it down. It's like Skank City in there. I remember when a Prince's Hamburger's drive-in was there. It was much like Sonic today, but had a retractible canvas covering. There was another one over by Sears at Main & Wheeler. Back in the day, they had car hops on skates I'm told.

WOW. I had no idea that center at the corner of Westheimer and Montrose was that old, and used to look so good. What a disaster the modernization of the center's architecture was. If it still had the original art deco design, I'd be all for restoring it and keeping it as is, with the current parking lot between the center and Westheimer. But now that it's long been a generic, soulless shopping center, I'm all for tearing it down and rebuilding with no parking on the Westheimer and Montrose sides (but parking accessible from Lovett). It is such a great location for a mix of restaurants and shops. Even some of the existing places would be a great mix to fill some of the spaces in a redeveloped center (Half Price Books, 3-6-9, even Spec's and Papa John's), with the rest filled in by better retail than currently exists in the center.

I still believe that the Montrose and Lower Westheimer corridors are primed for street-scape improvements to make the area more pedestrian friendly, considering the concentration of great retail, gallery, and dining options that exists in the area, and the general lack of parking. This is the type of neighborhood that draws a lot of people who live in other parts of the city, and all of the businesses would benefit greatly by making it easier for people to park in one location and walk to a variety of places in the neighborhood. MetroRail entering the area on Richmond, plus the current frequent Westheimer bus service, and hopefully increased Montrose bus service connecting to the Montrose/Richmond MetroRail station, would also enhance the neighborhood, making it easier to just leave the car at home, or use Metro after parking to get around the area.

• 10 months later...

last oct-- Neartown-- along with other organizations gathered for a "community forum" on what should/could/would be possible for montrose---along the lines of a "master plan" there was lots of conversation about "doing" something to the intersection of montrose and westheimer-- on april 23 a meeting is to be held at st stephans to give the results of "input" gathered from residents,business, developers, civic, charities, community advocates etcetcetc ---blue print houston is heading up the info gathering plus Houston Endowment,gulfcoast institute as well as Urban Land institute are participating, along with city council, metro etcetcetc-- i know there is a thread similar to this and thought it might be good to revisit it--

I drove through that intersection yesterday and was appalled. The tattoo parlor is gone, the sex toy shop is gone, it's just all falling apart. What's worse, there seems to have been no effort made to save these historic landmarks of my middle age.

I drove through that intersection yesterday and was appalled. The tattoo parlor is gone, the sex toy shop is gone, it's just all falling apart. What's worse, there seems to have been no effort made to save these historic landmarks of my middle age.

Sounds as if someone is not exhibiting the appropriate level of excitement over the new "sliders" joint. Philistine! :)

Only in Montrose could this be a bad thing.