WestMont: Mixed-Use Development Coming To Montrose

groovehouse

Covenant House is nothing but trouble. They enable kids to stay on the streets. 99% of those kids deserve a good beating.

That intersection is a good place to watch a fight, that's for sure. I've seen many over the years.

Actually, it's the opposite. Covenant House takes in kids that nobody else wants. They are VERY strict with their rules. They have curfews and a code of ethics that residents must abide by.

Additionally, you have NO IDEA what many of the kids who use this facility have lived through. The majority have faced sexual and physical violence and mostly from their parents/guardians. Many were tossed aside for being gay, lesbian, or transgendered. Don't judge them just because you were a punk (and still are) at their age and up to no good in the Montrose.

Edited by KinkaidAlum

Being 2,000 miles away I think you may have lost touch with your old environs.

Maybe the groups who hang out in the street are not part of Covenant House, but that intersection is now ground zero for street kids.

Just curious - what makes you such an expert? I live in the neighborhood (you don't) and I haven't noticed any such thing.

Street kids are not a priority to me.

Don't judge them just because you were a punk (and still are) at their age and up to no good in the Montrose.

Amen.

come on senor dbig........it's not getting better.

I agree, have you lived or been in the area recently, or are you relying on your magical remote viewing powers for your take on the area.

yes, there are street kids, but I think that as the area gets more developed, they will still be there, but more heavily monitored.

Maybe they can start doing more tricks near the gay bars.

I've never posted here (I'm a lurker) but I just want to say that I don't mind the kids hanging out at all. I've lived in Montrose (On Dunlavy) for some years now and I hope the street funk doesn't go away. Clean and sanitized is not how I want my neighborhood. I actually enjoy the live entertainment at the intersection of Montrose and Westheimer and occasionally I fill my car up at that gas station (Valero?) just because I never know what I'm gonna see. Runaway kids will always go SOMEPLACE. Why not the Montrose? 30 years from now when all Montrose has is McMansions there won't be any runaway kids to worry about, anyway.

Maybe the groups who hang out in the street are not part of Covenant House, but that intersection is now ground zero for street kids.

So what do you do? Do you contribute to and/or volunteer for "Stand up for Kids" or Covenant House? Or do you just perform your usual schtick of delicate flower and moan while the rest of us do the heavy lifting?

I do have to admit Coog, you are a ready source of endless entertainment.

This part of lower Westheimer has been like this even when we were kiddies! Everyone thought the environment would change when the place went condo then town homes and yuppies made atempts to better the place. However, lower Westheimer is always going to be a magnet for street life. It is the equivalent of streetwalkers on Hollwood Blvd and Time Square. No matter what society tries to change steet people will be nearby. End of story. and thats the positive part! Not knocking just get along with them! :P We all have a little punk or slam dancing in us!

250px-Punks.jpg

It's been that way for a long time, at least 15 years. Most of those "kids" are actually adults who have just been living that lifestyle for a long time. I see lots of people that look around 25-45 who just hang out as if they were teenagers after school lets out. I really don't know where they live or how they get an income, because the entire area on all sides of that intersection is high dollar.

Covenant House is nothing but trouble. They enable kids to stay on the streets. 99% of those kids deserve a good beating.

That intersection is a good place to watch a fight, that's for sure. I've seen many over the years.

I also wondered where the crack hookers that hang out on Crocker street get there food from...

• 4 months later...
I'd really like to something a little more interesting done with that grimey Blockbuster Video shopping center...and Hollywood Video, of course. Surely there's a better use for it than as a toilet.. The best part was it I walked back a little while later I had to watch my step

Is that ministry building back behind the hollywood video complex? I've been to mo mong's a couple of times and have noticed a lot of people milling about back there

I heard that blockbuster on Westheimer is closing.... Does anyone know if this is true?

I wonder why. Not enough business? That plaza is kind of skanky already. I hope it doesn't sit vacant too long, or it'll get even skankier. I'd rather see that whole plaza replaced with something closer to the street with parking in the back, or something like that. Kinda like the Westheimer/Dunlavy area but put some apartments on top. I can dream, can't I?

blockbuster is closing many locations around town. there was an article about it some time ago in the chronicle.

personally, i'd like to the strip center demolished and a new development with storefronts pushed to the street; parking remaining in the back. that's practically cliche around here, i know.

about the street kids/street people: a few of the people lurking around lower westheimer and the curve, in the late eighties early nineties, were my friends. i can't speak for the current group of misfits, but i like having them around.

Those dudes have never really bothered me, or even asked me for money so I'm not really complaining about them. I just don't want to see a large portion of that plaza sit empty and decay, with the windows boarded up and all that. I love Half Priced Books, but that's about all the use I have for that plaza. I also like Cocos Sushi across the street. Mmmmm sushi!

Coog, if fights occur, you should videotape them and post them on Youtube. Try to get the faces of the fighters so that the world can see who is trouble.

Anyway, if you feel that the people that the Convent House is feeding are contributing in a negative manner, write to them. See if you can get the city involved if it is clear that they do not care about what the kids do in the neighborhood.

the spec's wholesale store in that strip typifies so much that's wrong with a lot of retail development here. it's in a strip set back from the street to start with but then add in a blank stucco wall, totally shutting it off from pedestrian traffic. Nasty. Is that some sort of city ordinance for liquor stores? I agree, push the buildings up to the curb on Montrose & Westhemer, then parking above or in the back. I guess parking above would require some higher end, browsable stores - people aren't going to drive three levels to park their cars just to return a movie. Would that area support higher end retail?

Has anybody got a good photo of that strip center ? It would really help in this discussion.
i might have something at home (finding it - that's the issue)

If you can find a picture of this plaza as it appeared soon after it was constructed, that would be great, too.

I've seen 'real' vintage photos, but nothing online. Prior to its 1970s 'update' :angry2: it was really quite attractive. Does anyone know what name (if any) this strip center had when built?

The current facade was installed sometime in the mid 1980s.