HAIF - Houston's original social media

Heights House Hotel

10 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Crappy drive by photo
ey9ez2r.jpg

This is wonderful. These kind of renovations keep the fabric of the neighborhood.

I know someone mentioned 'Gentrification'... but to me there is a difference - a BIG difference - when in an area that all the old / original houses are demolished for expensive and unaffordable things in short order... and when the original buildings being fixed up / renovated that keeps the fabric of the neighborhood similar to what it was.

Edited by Avossos
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Avossos said:

This is wonderful. These kind of renovations keep the fabric of the neighborhood.

I know someone mentioned 'Gentrification'... but to me there is a difference - a BIG difference - when in an area that all the old / original houses are demolished for expensive and unaffordable things in short order... and when the original buildings being fixed up / renovated that keeps the fabric of the neighborhood similar to what it was.

I am a card carrying historic preservationist with a yellow yard sign in my closet ready for immediate deployment.  I do appreciate keeping the original architecture, but not as passionate about a fairly pedestrian mid century HoJos next to the highway.  Whether you demo and build new or lovingly restore a historic building at great expense, when you go from a $35 a night flop house and murder scene to a boutique hotel with a hip restaurant and bar, you are doing some big time gentrification.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, s3mh said:

I am a card carrying historic preservationist with a yellow yard sign in my closet ready for immediate deployment.  I do appreciate keeping the original architecture, but not as passionate about a fairly pedestrian mid century HoJos next to the highway.  Whether you demo and build new or lovingly restore a historic building at great expense, when you go from a $35 a night flop house and murder scene to a boutique hotel with a hip restaurant and bar, you are doing some big time gentrification.

And I do not disagree with you. But I’m focusing on the  psychology of it... if things are going to change (in Houston this is almost a certainty) I prefer they change this way than wide spread demolition and new construction. I am suggesting that a long time resident would feel less pressure of this change than they would if the building was torn down and a new fancy hotel was built from the ground up.

its clear that the March of gentrification is going East. I hope little gems like lawndale don’t get too disturbed in the process.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...