Road Construction In West University On Buffalo Spdwy.

• 2 months later...

West University roundup: Council approves Buffalo Speedway MOU

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/government/2020/09/30/west-university-roundup-council-approves-buffalo-speedway-mou-appoints-it-director-hires-attorney/

The West University Place City Council unanimously approved additional items Sept. 28, including the appointment of a new IT director, hiring an attorney and approval of a memorandum of understanding with the city of Houston for the Buffalo Speedway rebuild project.

A memorandum of understanding with the city of Houston was approved, outlining the responsibilities of each city for the Buffalo Speedway Rehabilitation Project.

West University Place will be responsible for roadway construction and drainage work within Houston’s right of way, while Houston will support and assist as necessary.

The $32.56 million project, which seeks to provide drainage improvements and a complete road surface replacement on Buffalo Speedway, has been in development since October 2018, paid for through a combination of city of West University Place and Texas Department of Transportation funds as well as grants worth about $14.5 million. Construction is slated to begin in 2021.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I drive from 59 to Holcombe on buffalo speedway everyday and I can't believe it's going to get rebuilt. That portion of buffalo speedway is in EXCELLENT condition. Its so strange to me that this excellent portion is getting rebuilt, yet the portion of buffalo speedway from Holcombe to Main is an absolute nightmare and isn't planned for reconstruction anytime soon. This scenario is similar to Westheimer being in excellent condition in Upper Kirby and 3rd world condition in Lower Westheimer 😕

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Amlaham said:

I drive from 59 to Holcombe on buffalo speedway everyday and I can't believe it's going to get rebuilt. That portion of buffalo speedway is in EXCELLENT condition. Its so strange to me that this excellent portion is getting rebuilt, yet the portion of buffalo speedway from Holcombe to Main is an absolute nightmare and isn't planned for reconstruction anytime soon. This scenario is similar to Westheimer being in excellent condition in Upper Kirby and 3rd world condition in Lower Westheimer 😕

You are so right, Amlaham. Actually Buffalo Speedway between Holcombe and N. Braeswood is a fairly recent rebuild and in good shape though you can see (and feel) some subsidence of the pavement already. South of the bayou to S. Main is terrible though. I don't even drive the speed limit (35 mph) along that stretch for fear of hitting my head on the roof of the car. 😟

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

West University Buffalo Speedway project breaks ground

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bellaire-meyerland-west-university/transportation/2021/04/29/west-university-buffalo-speedway-project-breaks-ground/

It has been a five-year planning endeavor, but the contractor for a project targeting drainage improvements and a road surface replacement on Buffalo Speedway in West University Place has officially broken ground.

Work began April 29 at the outfall located at Poor Farm Ditch behind St. Vincent’s de Paul Catholic Church, aiming to replace underground drainage pipes that have been in place since the early 1940s with large box culverts, the city of West University Place announced April 29.

The $23 million project was awarded to contractor SER Construction Partners in November with an estimated duration of 2 1/2 years. Both the city of West University Place and the Texas Department of Transportation will jointly oversee the project’s construction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, por favor gracias said:

I always wondered why we place pipes under the streets themselves, as opposed to the sidewalks or just anywhere parallel to them.

The storm sewers they put under streets these days are huge, 7feet by 7 feet, or larger. You can't really put those outside the right of way. And, in many areas, the water mains run a few feet from the street, so those would have to be moved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Road Construction In West University On Buffalo Spdwy.