Auditorium Grocery Building At 1011 McGowen St.

DrLan34

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Welcome to midtown hopefully it will expand west... How bad does the far west section of midtown need a great bar? hAif'ers with money this is my only free tip of the night - put a relaxed beer focused bar west of main in the middle of all the condos $$$

there's always 13 Celsius.

Welcome to midtown hopefully it will expand west... How bad does the far west section of midtown need a great bar? hAif'ers with money this is my only free tip of the night - put a relaxed beer focused bar west of main in the middle of all the condos $$$

Double Trouble's pretty good.

• 8 years later...

https://houston.eater.com/2020/7/27/21340254/red-dwarf-midtown-houston-mongoose-versus-cobra-open

A New Coffee Shop and Bar Is Opening In the Former Mongoose Versus Cobra Space

Red Dwarf will serve up fair trade coffee, craft cocktails, and live music

by Brittanie Shey@brittanieshey  Jul 27, 2020, 11:29am CDT

a vine-covered brick building seen at sunset

The historic building at 1011 McGowen is now red Dwarf  Mongoose Versus Cobra/Facebook

Red Dwarf, a new coffee shop, bar and arts and music venue, is opening in the spot formerly occupied by beloved Midtown hangout Mongoose Versus Cobra.

Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission records indicate that the new spot, located at 1011 McGowen Street, received a late night mixed beverage permit last week. According to the bar’s Instagram account, Red Dwarf’s debut, which was originally scheduled for July 1, was postponedseveral times due to the coronavirus pandemic. The bar plans to offer to-go cocktails and small bites starting on August 1, with a more formal opening is scheduled for later this year. 

The venue is a collaboration between Sarina Pasha, co-owner of Black Hole Coffee, who will run the coffee program; James Koby Boren, who will oversee bar operations; and Sarnia’s brother Shan Pasha; booking manager, according to Houston Food Finder. The trio took over the spot from 13 Celsius co-owner Mike Sammons, who opened Mongoose Vs Cobra in 2012 as a craft cocktail- and beer-focused bar. The building, which was built in 1915, was originally a grocery store but sat vacant for several decades until Sammons took it over.

Red Dwarf will eventually be open from 6:30 a.m. to 2 a.m., Shan Pasha told the Houston Press. The idea behind the bar was to create a spot that offered something for everyone, from coffee lovers to art aficionados to music fans, he told the paper. In addition to craft beer and fair trade coffee, Red Dwarf is keeping some of Mongoose Versus Cobra’s more popular cocktails on the menu, and will pair up with chef Grant Keaton to offer breakfast pastries and a full lunch and dinner menu daily.

Pasha told The Press he is currently hosting an open call for musicians and artists who want to display their talents at the bar when it eventually opens to the public — Red Dwarf does not plan to charge creatives a booking fee, he said. Houstonians can tune in to Red Dwarf’s Instagram and Facebook for information on future offerings and opening plans.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

A new bar or bar & grill business named The Garden is replacing Red Dwarf at 1011 McGowen St. It's opening in March. I don't know if the owners of Red Dwarf are involved with it or not, but this looks like it's from the owner of Bar 2200.

Here is a video of renovations posted in early February:

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Midtown Craft Beer Bar
  • 6 months later...
11 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Has this bar closed?
Chairs are stacked, and a sign directs people to a different location for a planned event.

Recent Google reviews of The Garden in Midtown would point to closure. I saw someone installing what looked like a barricade to the parking lot last weekend, but haven't been in the area to confirm what it was.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, at least in my part of town, the December 2022 hard freeze was just as cold as the February 2021 hard freeze (16.7 degrees F).  All my vines were killed above ground in 2021, and what had grown back (not even 10% in some places -- it takes many years to fully cover a building) was killed again last month.  I can understand their frustration, if this kind of extreme weather is the new normal meaning vines are no longer practical in our climate, but I'll admit the artificial turf looks terrible.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, rechlin said:

Unfortunately, at least in my part of town, the December 2022 hard freeze was just as cold as the February 2021 hard freeze (16.7 degrees F).  All my vines were killed above ground in 2021, and what had grown back (not even 10% in some places -- it takes many years to fully cover a building) was killed again last month.  I can understand their frustration, if this kind of extreme weather is the new normal meaning vines are no longer practical in our climate, but I'll admit the artificial turf looks terrible.

yep just tore mine down to the last 2 feet or so this afternoon. Here's to 2023...

• The title was changed to The Garden HTX At 1011 McGowen St.
  • 1 month later...

I don't understand why a certain moderator changed the title of this topic in April to The Garden at 1011 McGowen. The Garden closed around late March.

I'm probably in the minority, but stand-alone places - the ones usually leased to restaurants, bar, and retail - could probably have the address only in the title. These places usually have a high turnover. Plus, it takes the hassle out of constantly updating the title of the topic. 

Anyway, replacing The Garden is a new bar named Rhythm Bar. According the bar's Instagram, it's shooting for a summer opening.

https://www.instagram.com/rhythmbarhtx/

• Like 3

On 6/12/2023 at 11:06 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't understand why a certain moderator changed the title of this topic in April to The Garden at 1011 McGowen. The Garden closed around late March.

I'm probably in the minority, but stand-alone places - the ones usually leased to restaurants, bar, and retail - could probably have the address only in the title. These places usually have a high turnover. Plus, it takes the hassle out of constantly updating the title of the topic. 

Anyway, replacing The Garden is a new bar named Rhythm Bar. According the bar's Instagram, it's shooting for a summer opening.

I'm ok with the named in the titles because people know names more than they know addresses, so it makes it easier for people who aren't regulars to find things. I'd rather have the additional overhead of changing the titles than make it harder for someone to find something they're interested in. 

• The title was changed to Auditorium Grocery Building At 1011 McGowen St.
  • 1 month later...
On 6/12/2023 at 11:06 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Rhythm Bar is closed at 1011 McGowen St. I'm not sure then the bar closed. Moving into the space is a new bar (or maybe a club or lounge) called Parlay. 

I don't know if Parlay is from the same operators who ran the bar of the same name at 1901 Taft St.

Based on Parlay's recent Instagram story, the bar appears to be open. 

https://www.instagram.com/parlay.htx

• Like 1