Chinese Consulate Offices In Houston

yay, we're the center of something in the world. Now those city leaders who have an inferiority complex because they don't think we're a world-class city because we don't have enough commuter trains have something god to tout at Houston.
/sarcasm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

yay, we're the center of something in the world. Now those city leaders who have an inferiority complex because they don't think we're a world-class city because we don't have enough commuter trains have something god to tout at Houston.
/sarcasm

If ONLY we had this weapon back during the great SSC, SSP, and City-Data wars.

• Like 3

Under this administration, it will definitely be permanent. But if China truly is doing this though, I don't see any political will from either side to get this eventually reopened. Could be part of a negotiation tactic on trade though to get this reopened... but I highly doubt the Houston consulate is that significant to a trillion dollar economy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Triton said:

Under this administration, it will definitely be permanent. But if China truly is doing this though, I don't see any political will from either side to get this eventually reopened. Could be part of a negotiation tactic on trade though to get this reopened... but I highly doubt the Houston consulate is that significant to a trillion dollar economy.

According to Vox, it was used by China to spy on the U.S. oil industry. I read somewhere it also had some links to Chinese researchers at M.D. Anderson. Remember that China wants badly to compete with us in medical research and innovation, and they also have a pretty weak oil industry for an aspiring superpower. We have the strongest oil industry in the world, and a decisive advantage for us in World War II was Japan and Germany's lack of access to oil. China wants what Houston has.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

According to Vox, it was used by China to spy on the U.S. oil industry. I read somewhere it also had some links to Chinese researchers at M.D. Anderson. Remember that China wants badly to compete with us in medical research and innovation, and they also have a pretty weak oil industry for an aspiring superpower. We have the strongest oil industry in the world, and a decisive advantage for us in World War II was Japan and Germany's lack of access to oil. China wants what Houston has.

Yea, I'm just saying that in the 21st century, I am not sure how essential a physical location is to continue spying on anything we have here in Houston.

41 minutes ago, Triton said:

Yea, I'm just saying that in the 21st century, I am not sure how essential a physical location is to continue spying on anything we have here in Houston.

You have a physical site and building where you can store documents, people, whatever, that is beyond the jurisdiction of police or anyone else and viewed as China's sovereign territory. The next nearest such site is in Chicago. It's not essential but it's nice to have. Otherwise, why would countries still have consulates?

• Like 2

I NEVER liked or trusted the PRC from the get-go! Not shocked about the developments that they were SPYING on people, businesses, etc., in the Houston Metroplex.

Might be a good time to restart diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

Might be a good time to restart diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

We send hundreds of millions of dollars in arm sales alone to Taiwan. Pretty sure we already have diplomatic relations with them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Triton said:

We send hundreds of millions of dollars in arm sales alone to Taiwan. Pretty sure we already have diplomatic relations with them.

We don't recognize them as an independent country, though. We stopped recognizing them in 1979 in order to appease China.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

We don't recognize them as an independent country, though. We stopped recognizing them in 1979 in order to appease China.

True.

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So how does this hurt us in the long run? Is this permanent? 

Does hurt the Chinese community here. I know a few that are worried because there's no longer any close location for them any longer. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/chinese-consulate-politics-effects-houston-close-15430426.php

Beyond politics, effects of Chinese consulate’s closing ‘will be a setback’ for Houston

Paul Takahashi and Nicole Hensley July 24, 2020 Updated: July 24, 2020 9:04 a.m

A delivery driver carries a box from the Consulate General of China Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Houston.
1of101A delivery driver carries a box from the Consulate General of China Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Houston.Photo: Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer
People walk into staff entrance of the Consulate General of China Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Houston.
2of101People walk into staff entrance of the Consulate General of China Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Houston.Photo: Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer
Demonstrators protest across the street from the Consulate General of China Friday, July 24, 2020, in Houston. U.S.government has ordered the Houston consulate to close by Friday.
3of101Demonstrators protest across the street from the Consulate General of China Friday, July 24, 2020, in Houston. U.S.government has ordered the Houston consulate to close by Friday.Photo: Brett Coomer/Staff photographerFor more than 40 years, the Chinese Consulate General in Montrose has served as a symbolic bridge, facilitating travel, trade and cultural ties between Houston and China.

The Trump administration’s decision this week to force the consulate in Houston to close by Friday “to protect American intellectual property” will have wide-reaching consequences for Houston residents and companies with significant ties to China.

Chinese expats in Houston will find it more difficult to renew passports. Houstonians traveling to China to close a business deal or walk the Great Wall can’t get a visa as easily. Chinese travelers and college students who fill the coffers of Galleria retailers and Texas universities may find it less attractive to visit Houston without a consulate nearby if they need assistance.

All of this will hurt travel, trade and the longstanding relationship between Houston and China, said Bob Harvey, CEO of the Greater Houston Partnership, a business-backed economic development group.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Chinese Consulate Offices In Houston
  • 2 years later...