Lockmat discovered this development from a link that TheNiche posted in the "Dome over Houston" thread.
Europa at Houstonian Lakes, a 500-acre master planned community. LandQuest development group (or L Star, they've recently partnered with Starwood development) is the developer.
Europa features a variety of new homes, upscale midrise
condominiums and town homes available at affordable
prices surrounded by pristine lakes with a European-style village
center.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/YahTrickYah57/22.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/YahTrickYah57/23.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm99/YahTrickYah57/25.jpg

http://www.enzoinv.com/brochure/brochure.htm (pg. 20-23)

Edit: TMC BioPort:

r8fk1gS.png

• Like 1

gah!! these names make me crazy. But then I guess no one wants to live on a piece of barren, frozen rock in an atmosphere that cannot support human life. The Towne Centre would not be very pedestrian-friendly there.

I wish developers would think bigger when it comes to names. Europa was just a minor goddess, and only got a moon named after her. I'd prefer to see something a little more majestic, like, "Uranus at SugarLandian Shores".

• Like 1

I wish developers would think bigger when it comes to names.

I wish they wouldn't create "Master Planned Communities" centered around some stupid phony theme. To me, this looks like you'd be living at Epcot Center. Pretty soon Houston will have it's own "Master Planned" Japan, China, Morocco, France, and Norway neighborhoods. I wonder if the "European" feel of Europa means they'll have fake statues like "The Thinker" lining each street.

• Like 1

This does not look very credible. I think most people are starting to see right through these so called Master Planned Communities. What will they call the biggest strip mall in this project? Town Centre? Ugh.

• Like 1

I wish they wouldn't create "Master Planned Communities" centered around some stupid phony theme. To me, this looks like you'd be living at Epcot Center. Pretty soon Houston will have it's own "Master Planned" Japan, China, Morocco, France, and Norway neighborhoods. I wonder if the "European" feel of Europa means they'll have fake statues like "The Thinker" lining each street.

There's always going to be a cheesy, phony theme. Less predictably cheesy would be a good start. I saw 'Europa' and was hoping to see them step up the game with an astronomical/greek mythology theme, but alas. The European village thing is so overdone.

• Like 1

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!

No more themed garbage this close to town...ech.

Right, because in-town is authentic, like the river in River Oaks, the foothills in the Heights for the mountain in the Montrose, the completely pretentious practice of naming streets for bits of English literature and Ivy League colleges so the price tag can be larger, etc. An old method of theming, and to exactly the same purpose.

• Like 1

I emailed and asked them this:

I am interested to know if Europa has been put on hold or cancelled. If not, what quarter do you expect to break ground?

Her response:

The timing will be dependent on market conditions and we do not have a definite target date at the moment.
  • Like 1

I think the names are cheesy too, but have you ever tried to name streets?

If you haven't, try making up a few names, then look in the index of the Key Map to see if someone else hasn't already thought of it before.

That being said, just when you think every possible combination of "River", "Prairie", "Hills", "Stone", "Green", and "Park" has been done before, here comes a bigger and better combination.

Sincerely,

The Original Timmy Chan

12321 Northwest Green River Prairie Hills Park Circle

Houston, Texas 77021

• Like 1

I've known about this concept for some time, and personally, I'm convinced that it'd work. ...if and only if they market it adequately and with an air of exclusivity, build high walls around the entire perimeter, implement plenty of architectural status symbols at the points of entry, and form a special district to finance private schools exclusively serving the development. If they can make this as much like a master planned community as possible, and just as cheesy and boring, they'll succeed beyond their wildest hopes. Large-scale developments like this one have to have broad appeal, after all, and mass marketing doesn't go well with original or experimental design motifs.

It's definitely going to take a long time to get this under way, though. The economy probably won't allow the project to move forward beyond the conceptualization stage for at least another several years. I recognize that the alignment of Buffalo Speedway and the pipeline easements already on the property are a major limiting factor, but hopefully they've got a better land plan by that time.

• 1 year later...

Not sure what part of town this is actually located, so this is my best guess.

Dear Friends,

These are exciting times at Main Street Theater! Faced with the threat of losing our lease, we are turning crisis into opportunity by taking the long-awaited step toward establishing a permanent home at the Times Boulevard location that we’ve known and (mostly) loved for all these years!

When the renovation process is complete the Times theater will be transformed into a beautiful, efficient “jewel box”. Fear not, dedicated patrons: you will still be able to enjoy our quality, cutting-edge productions in an intimate setting. But the poles that now obstruct your view will be gone, state-of-the-art sound and lighting equipment will enable you to see and hear every word, our lobby and restrooms will be bigger and more efficient, and we’ll have more usable space backstage. We’ll have room to grow, too: the 99-seat theater will be built for expansion to 150 seats as MST grows and as more parking in Rice Village becomes available.

We’re delighted to share this exciting news with you and hope you’ll agree with us that there is indeed “No Place Like Home”. Stay tuned for more information on how you can become involved. Thank you, as always, for your dedicated patronage and support of Main Street Theater.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Greene Udden

Founder and Executive Artistic Director

http://www.mainstreettheater.com/info/capitalcampaign.html

BuildingRendering_f.jpg

http://www.mainstreettheater.com/info/images/BuildingRendering_f.jpg

• 5 months later...

I wonder if anyone has noticed that Bellfort is complete all the way now. A small section from Buffalo Speedway to South Main was recently opened. I actually found it quite useful for work as a way to get around the South Main traffic jams at 610. I had a work project in the area and just happened to notice it was there. One interesting thing is that there are barricades where Old Main St. Loop Road once ran. Glad to see someone remembered that road.

With Bellfort complete, I can now realize that those old dashed lines on the map can now be filled in. Looks like Buffalo Speedway is also under construction. What other dashed roads of the old maps of 50 years ago are now under construction?

• 2 months later...

I would like to see Buffalo Speedway go through to Holmes Rd. Maybe the city would then finally improve/widen that road. That would take a lot of pressure off the highway 90 commute.

Buffalo Speedway will eventually go through past Holmes Road, so that it connect with a mile-long road-to-nowhere that the City has built in 2006 or 2007. Check it out on Google Earth, and then feel free to complain to City Council and the Mayor. You should also complain to to the Attorney General, since the premature construction of this road was a misappropriation of funds indicative of gross negligence on the part of Bill White and/or Andy Icken.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There is a pie shaped piece of property stranded on the corner of Fannin and Old Main that has had a pile of debris on it since Hurricane Ike. I was hoping that with construction of the new Bank of America Motor Drive Up that this pile of trash would be disposed of, but oh! no!, the contractor just put his construction fence up around it.

Attached is a poor photo.

This is also the location of the only two or three free street parking spaces in the entire area. (notice the mispelled Holcome Blvd street sign....Ha!).

post-3141-0-74677500-1419348425_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I am a dental hygiene student who is currently looking for new patients to have their teeth cleaned. Adult cleanings are $19.95 and include x-rays, exam by dentist, and a thorough and gentle cleaning! I also am looking for children ages 5-17 ( $14.95). I also offer services such as custom bleaching trays, custom sports mouth guards, night guards, and deep cleanings all at an extremely discounted price...a fantastic deal! If you would like more information or to schedule an appointment you can contact Chelsea at ccole10222@my.pmi.edu or 281-620-2287  All new patients welcome!!!

Thank you

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Previously the Texas Medical Center had the Favrot Apartments, http://web.archive.org/web/20100624063945/http://www.texmedctr.tmc.edu/root/en/TMCServices/Housing/Parking+at+Favrot.htm but they closed in 2012 http://web.archive.org/web/20120729225051/http://texasmedicalcenter.org/housing/ and were demo'ed in 2014. https://www.emporis.com/buildings/203699/laurence-h-favrot-tower-apartments-houston-tx-usa

I understand that the TMC probably wants/wanted a building of higher utility at 6540 Bellows. Also, I never lived there nor knew anybody who did, so I don't know what the housing quality/atmosphere was like. However I like the idea of the TMC building a new tower for employee housing. Perhaps some people want to be very close to work, or have the institution take care of their housing. Therefore I wonder if the TMC could build a new housing tower.

A few things:

• If possible have it be placed in the Pershing Middle School zone - Favrot was zoned to Cullen Middle, which wasn't attractive. Yes, people building institutional housing need to take school zoning into account. Florida State University's report on its former graduate school housing compound, Alumni Village, described the statuses of the schools that served that complex. http://its.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/imported/storage/original/application/a336fded2ae81ac62d958743b870d2c7.pdf (see PDF pages 154 and 155)
  • Having a playground and/or a rooftop/similar swimming pool would make it more attractive to families.
  • I wonder how the complex could attract singles and childless couples; I wouldn't suggest going whole Michael Pollack Colonial Park Apartments style, but taking cues from swanky Midtown/Montrose complexes could help.
  • Since the Medical Center Kroger was demo'ed, it would be good to have ground floor and/or second floor space for a new supermarket and/or an attached parking garage with guest spaces. That way things would be super-convenient for tenants.
Edited by VicMan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, htownbro said:

Yes build a 40 plus floor housing high rise with units for singles, couples and families on different floors.  Family units occupy lower floors, singles and couples occupy higher floors.  :D

That sounds like a cool idea! A bit ambitious since the old Favrot tower was only 13 stories tall. Also if it's in the Pershing attendance zone TMC might have to have a talk with area homeowner associations so the building doesn't infringe too much on the neighborhood.

They could put more 2 and 3 bedroom units in the lower floors and more 1 bedroom units on upper floors. I heard from a poster on city-data that the old Favrot had a higher proportion of nursing students from Texas Woman's University and Baylor College of medicine compared to employees. Under your arrangement the lower floors could be a mix of families and unrelated nursing students who have roommates.

Edited by VicMan
  • Like 1