Shepherd Dr. And Durham Dr. Reconstruction

Along with this City-funded portion between Dickson and Washington, TIRZ #5 is planning the reconstruction of Durham and Shepherd between North Loop and 11th. Based on their current budget document, Shepherd is scheduled for construction in 2020 and Durham in 2022. That would leave the heavily traveled portion between 11th and Washington unplanned.

https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirzdocs/budgetsfy18/tirz5.pdf

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Angostura said:

Funded.

The project would include re-construction of Shepherd and Durham from the bayou to 610, reducing the number of travel lanes from 4 to 3, adding high-comfort bike lanes, 6-ft sidewalks and Metro shelters. Would also include reconstruction of 11th, 14th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 24th between Shepherd and Durham to facilitate turns and accommodate future Houston Bike Plan improvements.

From buffalo bayou or white oak bayou?

3 hours ago, Angostura said:

Funded.

The project would include re-construction of Shepherd and Durham from the bayou to 610, reducing the number of travel lanes from 4 to 3, adding high-comfort bike lanes, 6-ft sidewalks and Metro shelters. Would also include reconstruction of 11th, 14th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 24th between Shepherd and Durham to facilitate turns and accommodate future Houston Bike Plan improvements.

THANK GOD!!! This is one area that will look great after these improvements! With all the new development going on this is great! Do we have a start date?

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Angostura said:

Funded.

Only partially funded. Grant was for $25 million and construction costs are estimated at $65-$70 😕

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wilcal said:

Only partially funded. Grant was for $25 million and construction costs are estimated at $65-$70 😕

Turns out it's $25M Fed, matched with $25M from the TIRZ. Funds Phase I, 15th to 610. A lot of the cost is sub-surface (stormwater and sanitary sewer upgrades).

More info here.

H/T @HOUstreets on twitter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This looks genuinely great. Trees are shown on both sides of the (sidewalk-level!) bike lanes which will create a neat allee effect, clear separation from the sidewalk, and a much safer separated feel from traffic. I'm just curious to see how phasing is going to work on this. In the mediumish term there's going to be big gap between Phase 1 here and the City-funded portion, which will be ...interesting.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Triton said:

Really impressive if this starts so soon. RTP 2045 roadmap didn't have this starting until fiscal year 2035.

They do a great job in this document of detailing why this is the case and look no further than Table 4 on Page 5, line 1 "Facility = IH610,IH10 ; Connection Type = National Highway System (NHS) facility - general mobility ; Relation To Project = Improve travel time reliability for all auto and freight users by reducing crash incidence to and from this connection". Its why this project gets funding and pushed to the front of the line while Lower Westheimer lingers is primarily due to this reason. This is one of the Most important North-South connectors in the entire city and is in a district which is exploding in residential and commercial activity. Was probably an easy sell.

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

This looks genuinely great. Trees are shown on both sides of the (sidewalk-level!) bike lanes which will create a neat allee effect, clear separation from the sidewalk, and a much safer separated feel from traffic. I'm just curious to see how phasing is going to work on this. In the mediumish term there's going to be big gap between Phase 1 here and the City-funded portion, which will be ...interesting.

What is even more impressive is what we are getting out of this even though its primarily getting funding because of the line which I give above. Normally, we wouldn't get such a significant upgrade for this, but it seems like the right people were around when they were install particular design guidelines for this. Looking at the schematic this should upgrade this entire corridor to what it is destined to be which is a proper North-South Boulevard and gateway into the inner city from the North.

I can't wait to see the final results. This area has always had a kind of apocalyptic/post-nuclear feel to it. Its just a strange area in general. In a way its what makes it unique, but with how rapid the city and area is changing its time for it to grow-up and mature to what it should be. I've walked this entire stretch multiple times both day and night, and to say this will be a revolution for this area would an understatement. Its had so little and care put into it, probably not since the drives inception.

• Like 5

I will won't miss the used car lots when the last one disappears. This looks like such a big improvement overall, I'm not going to complain about the loss of a travel lane, since I don't think there will be any noticeable impact on travel time. Shepherd and Durham are in pretty awful shape, and my whole neighborhood, other than a few whiny types, are looking forward to this.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 5:45 AM, Angostura said:

Turns out it's $25M Fed, matched with $25M from the TIRZ. Funds Phase I, 15th to 610. A lot of the cost is sub-surface (stormwater and sanitary sewer upgrades).

More info here.

H/T @HOUstreets on twitter.

HOUStreets is run by my btw ;) Thanks for the follow. I would have posted the update here, but couldn't find the thread. 

A few interesting additional notes:

Design work planned through 1q22, so 3ish years of construction for phase 1. That's pretty rough. So annoying to think that we won't see a completed phase I until 2025. 

Also, they specifically mention integration with the planned BRT. Metronext mentioned a BRT stop at Shepherd @ I-10, so will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I still have no idea how they're gonna fund phase II of the plan :( I wish they had started with Phase II to be honest because that would have connected the White Oak Trail to the shopping center. 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 7:38 AM, Texasota said:

If you look through the application it says they're planning on working with HGAC for Phase 2. So federal funding for Phase 1, regional for Phase 2, and municipal for Phase 3.

Yeah, got bad news on that front. H-GAC basically laughed in their face.

They applied last year and the project got ranked 91st http://www.h-gac.com/2018-call-for-projects/documents/2018-call-for-project-tpc-rankings.pdf

Only the top 34 were funded, and it would only have been the top 15ish but TxDOT pulled their $175 million hempstead highway project on CoH request because it looks like HSR station is going to actually happen. 

They could apply again the next time H-GAC has an open call for projects, so that could be awhile.