Paco Jones

So I’m guessing EDI will design the apartments as they build for Alexan and Broadstone and the retail goes to Hsu.  

Hsu’s portfolio is quite impressive .

https://hsuoffice.com

He has a lot of buildings in Austin and his work in Houston is good as well. Here’s hoping we get a P Terry’s and a Home Slice in the East End.

Additionally, I’m happy the building is only 7 stories because this lot is one of the last spots that can block my view of downtown. I’m a little worried about it blocking Minute Maid, but hopefully I get lucky and they build it in a way where it doesn’t.

the parking lot seems big, which actually, in my opinion is a good sign that they are planning on building some attractive retail, maybe akin to Heights Mercantile. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

If I remember correctly this land once belong to Midway, but then they sold it if I'm not mistaken. Could be wrong about that part.

Your memory serves you well. There was a Midway sign on that property up until very recently.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2020 at 6:23 PM, Texasota said:

Site plan could be better, but I don't mind the building.

I wish the building masses were up against Navigation and Runnels, defining the streetscape at that intersection with an urban feel. I feel like Hsu overstresses creativity instead of meat-and-potatoes urbanism. The best urban environments tend to have a lot of buildings that do things simple, with zero setback, ground floor retail, and parking hidden as much as possible. It is the streetscape itself that provides the space. Hsu's non-conventional site plans scream "Look at me!"

• Like 2

Don't forget the pizza place next to the  liquor store, it's pretty good!

Also, don't know if this has been talked about in the forum, but the big warehouse that got updated down the road (2339 Canal St.) is supposed to have a coworking space (Common Desk) and a cidery/arcade (Bishop) both from Dallas based companies in the near future. 

https://www.cidercade.com/houston

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/10/28/dallas-coworking-company-heading-to-houstons-east.html

I'm excited!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 8:03 AM, coolman said:

Don't forget the pizza place next to the  liquor store, it's pretty good!

Also, don't know if this has been talked about in the forum, but the big warehouse that got updated down the road (2339 Canal St.) is supposed to have a coworking space (Common Desk) and a cidery/arcade (Bishop) both from Dallas based companies in the near future. 

https://www.cidercade.com/houston

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/10/28/dallas-coworking-company-heading-to-houstons-east.html

I'm excited!

Your post made me seek out what Pizza place you could be talking about. Southside, right? I got it on Thursday and it was really good!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

"He said the project is funded, but the company is still working through the final budget and design scheme as the commercial real estate market goes through changes due to the pandemic.

“We’re soldering on,” Arnoldy said. “We think it’s still a viable plan.”

Looks like this project has some legs. 

It says that they are requesting setback variances to maintain a pedestrian feel along Canal Street. What about Navigation??? Can we get rid of the parking lot on Navigation?!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Phase II is a 20-story mixed-use high-rise consisting of multifamily, office and retail. Corner of Canal and Navigation 

This is a misleading quote then. 

"Arnoldy said he was working the city to assure the project will not overwhelm existing traffic patterns. Rather it will have a “low-rise feel” that better blends into the area."

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

"Arnoldy said he was working the city to assure the project will not overwhelm existing traffic patterns. Rather it will have a “low-rise feel” that better blends into the area."

Existing traffic patterns being the pattern of having no traffic at all lol... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Existing traffic patterns being the pattern of having no traffic at all lol... 

I dunno, there is a lot of traffic. Mostly concrete trucks and other trucks roaring down Navigation daily. Maybe "not overwhelm" means "swap work trucks for passenger vehicles."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JBTX said:

I dunno, there is a lot of traffic. Mostly concrete trucks and other trucks roaring down Navigation daily. Maybe "not overwhelm" means "swap work trucks for passenger vehicles."

This area could use some traffic instead of people going 60 MPH down Jensen next to a school. 

• Like 3

This aesthetic is going to look so dated in 10-15 years, in which case it will be an eyesore. Like all of the mansard-roofed lowrise developments from the late 70's and early 80's.

However, I love that we keep seeing more and more mixed-use development in this city. 

Edited by aachor
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

The current planning commission agenda has a building elevation of a 20-story high-rise (in which the chron article fails to make note of). Cant make much out of it as it says “facade details TBD”.

I take “low rise feel” as the development having a nice interaction with pedestrians by having wide sidewalks, retail and a design similar to existing structures in the area.

• Like 6