Uptown Dallas Density

Typically, a vacancy rate below 14% is when developers/investors feel a CBD can withstand a new tower, especially in a market the size of Houston's CBD. I figure there'll be a freeze on all of that until we're around 13.5% or lower. Houston's vacancy rate was as low as 12% before the most recent towers went up at the start of the millennium.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A resuscitation for Old Parkland

Crow Holdings to fill hospital's early buildings

11:36 PM CDT on Thursday, August 17, 2006

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...nd.31b0714.html

"When Dallas' historic Parkland Hospital opened its doors in 1913, the location on the edge of town was described as "rolling meadows on all sides."...Today, the landmark complex of vacant buildings is surrounded by urban development...And starting next year

• 3 weeks later...

New Uptown landmark to neighbor Crescent

Rosewood Court to break ground next month on office-retail project

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...od.2f04af1.html

11:16 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 6, 2006

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

0907rosewood.jpg

"Rosewood Property Co. defined Uptown in the 1980s when it built the $400 million Crescent complex...

Now the company founded by Caroline Rose Hunt plans to build a second landmark across the street."

"...Rosewood Court, going up at Cedar Springs Road and Pearl Street, is designed to complement the Crescent complex, which is across the street. Rosewood and CarrAmerica Realty will break ground next month at the vacant corner of Cedar Springs Road and Pearl Street.....At 19 stories, Rosewood Court will be the same height as the Crescent and will share some of its building materials

• 4 weeks later...

Uptown: Harwood Residential Tower

Going up in Uptown

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ol.30226d8.html

"....Developer Harwood International has plenty on its plate with the construction of the Azure condominium tower and plans for the Saint Ann Court office high-rise.

But the developer recently filed for approval with the city to build yet another project in Uptown. The vacant corner of Harwood and Hunt streets is being eyed for another residential tower.

"We going to do a pencil high-rise," said developer Gabriel Barbier-Mueller. "The site is only 5,000 square feet."

The developer is studying plans for a residential tower with a small number of units that would each occupy about a floor...."

Uptown: Harwood Residential Tower

Going up in Uptown

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ol.30226d8.html

"....Developer Harwood International has plenty on its plate with the construction of the Azure condominium tower and plans for the Saint Ann Court office high-rise.

But the developer recently filed for approval with the city to build yet another project in Uptown. The vacant corner of Harwood and Hunt streets is being eyed for another residential tower.

"We going to do a pencil high-rise," said developer Gabriel Barbier-Mueller. "The site is only 5,000 square feet."

The developer is studying plans for a residential tower with a small number of units that would each occupy about a floor...."

And this one will be on the other side of the Jones Day Building. :D

I can remember when Crescent was almost all alone. Gotta give it to Dallas, Uptown Dallas is moving right along. That might be why a city of 379 sq miles (or whatever) can focus on a particular project more realistically than the sprawling neighbor to the south of 600 sq. miles. We have 5 or 6 skylines going on, but they aren't together. All in all, though, unlike Chicago and Cook County, our metro Texas counties are not losing population, but gaining all the time. ;)

Houston builds taller, however. We have the Endeavor at 34 stories, twin towers Mosaic at 30 stories each and Hermann Memorial 30+ stories in TMC. I guess some cities are short and some are tall. Our Uptown is tall: 64 stories and downward to the smaller ones, twin 40-story condos. Our Downtown is well, y'all know that we have the tallest tower outside L.A. (thanks to their flagpole or whatever) and Houston will continue to build with "taller" is better. Rather, we'd be Washington, D.C. which I think is more clusters of 12 story buildings than I'd ever want to see again. Give me a view. Just my 2-cents and nothing more. 28 stories????? pleeez.... that's my house :lol::blush:

I do get jealous of the height of the buildings going up in Atlanta and Houston, but for now, 20 - 30 story buildings make sense for Dallas. It provides the right amount of density for what we need right now. It also provides infill for some of the parking lots downtown. Quite a few cranes are mixed in with the highrises right now. It suprises me and my coworkers, some of which have work downtown for 25 yrs. We all see the changes.

I do work downtown and have for 10 yrs now. Most of the horrible vacancies are for absolutely out of date, unusable buildings for modern offices. These are being converted to residential now or will never be used as offices again. (Either convert 'em or tear 'em down, I guess).

Uptown and Downtown are changing at an unbelievable pace. I hope it's not some other 80's boom cycle ready to go bust!

I haven't been to Houston since 1998, but would love to see the changes. The cities feel so similar yet so different at the same time.

I do get jealous of the height of the buildings going up in Atlanta and Houston, but for now, 20 - 30 story buildings make sense for Dallas. It provides the right amount of density for what we need right now. It also provides infill for some of the parking lots downtown. Quite a few cranes are mixed in with the highrises right now. It suprises me and my coworkers, some of which have work downtown for 25 yrs. We all see the changes.

I do work downtown and have for 10 yrs now. Most of the horrible vacancies are for absolutely out of date, unusable buildings for modern offices. These are being converted to residential now or will never be used as offices again. (Either convert 'em or tear 'em down, I guess).

Uptown and Downtown are changing at an unbelievable pace. I hope it's not some other 80's boom cycle ready to go bust!

I haven't been to Houston since 1998, but would love to see the changes. The cities feel so similar yet so different at the same time.

There's an opinion held by some that building a neighborhood of smaller buildings--mid-rises and near-highrises--does a better job of providing infill. Maybe that's the effect that the smaller residential towers/buildings in Uptown Dallas will do over time, especially given its headstart relative to Houston's Midtown/Fourth Ward or Atlanta's Atlantic Station area.

I can remember when Crescent was almost all alone. Gotta give it to Dallas, Uptown Dallas is moving right along. That might be why a city of 379 sq miles (or whatever) can focus on a particular project more realistically than the sprawling neighbor to the south of 600 sq. miles. We have 5 or 6 skylines going on, but they aren't together. All in all, though, unlike Chicago and Cook County, our metro Texas counties are not losing population, but gaining all the time. ;)

Chicago's metro is not losing population. In fact, in the past few years, it has been speeding up. They are very close to 10 million now if they haven't passed it already.

Chicago's metro is not losing population. In fact, in the past few years, it has been speeding up. They are very close to 10 million now if they haven't passed it already.

I stand corrected. Cook County and Chicago are experiencing white flight. The metro is getting the population growth, not the city proper or Cook County. Fortunately, Houston and Harris County still are growing and we haven't had an out-migration of that magnitude. This probably could be said about most large Texas cities.

From the pics, Uptown Dallas is really booming. And with style. W Hotel is awesome. I don't see Downtown Dallas getting any new building since Uptown is taking the front seat. That is an interesting situation up there. It may turn out all good. Hopefully.

Uhhh....I think we are getting a new Tall building downtown.Here are some of the plans for 1900 Pacific Ave.(downtown) http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showpost...mp;postcount=65

Uhhh....I think we are getting a new Tall building downtown.Here are some of the plans for 1900 Pacific Ave.(downtown) http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showpost...mp;postcount=65

That's the building design that did not get picked. Here's a link to the design the developers propose for 1900 Pacific:

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showpost...p;postcount=151

Nothing about this project is certain:

Fate of tower projects linked with violence at troubled nightspot

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ue.237c2aa.html

09:50 PM CDT on Saturday, September 30, 2006

By DAVE LEVINTHAL / The Dallas Morning News

Under way on the streets of downtown Dallas is a multimillion dollar game of chicken the likes of which the center city has never seen.

Rita Sweeney envisions a gleaming condominium tower soaring higher than many of Dallas' tallest buildings in a section of downtown still reeling from last decade's real estate bust.

And the Dallas investor wants $12 million in public tax incentives to help develop the proposed 52-story high-rise and renovate the adjacent Tower Petroleum Building into a hotel. E-mail dlevinthal@dallasnews.com

Sweeney's $12 million request would go toward demolition of the vacant Corrigan Tower (1950's design) and renovation of the vacant 1920s(?) art deco Tower Petroleum Building into a boutique hotel. Sweeney got $1 million to renovate another vacant downtown building which now houses Club Blue. The patrons of Blue are blamed for elevated criminal activity downtown, and the city says the Sweeney's violated the conditions of the $1 million TIF contribution because Clue Blue was supposed to be an upscale venue but now attracts a gangster type of crowd - the city says this violates the $1 million TIF agreement and promises to deny any futher requests from Sweeney until Club Blue changes. Club Blue owners recently filed a $12 million lawsuit against the city on gounds of constitutional violations, slander and stuff like that.

It's a political mess, and I'm doubtful 1900 Pacific will be redeveloped any time soon.

Ugly????????............. hater.

One opinion on one building. Have I not been complimentary on others being built up there? You need to stop thinking that everything that happens in little d is all that and a bag of chips. I think that is one butt ass ugly building. However, I happen to think the W and lots of others in Victory are gorgeous. Deal with it.

One opinion on one building. Have I not been complimentary on others being built up there? You need to stop thinking that everything that happens in little d is all that and a bag of chips. I think that is one butt ass ugly building. However, I happen to think the W and lots of others in Victory are gorgeous. Deal with it.

No I called you a hater because maybe I thought you said it's ugly because I showed you that they are considering tall buildings in downtown and you wanted the joy of saying that we wont be building anything in downtown anytime soon.So if I'm wrong I apologize :D

No I called you a hater because maybe I thought you said it's ugly because I showed you that they are considering tall buildings in downtown and you wanted the joy of saying that we wont be building anything in downtown anytime soon.So if I'm wrong I apologize :D

Thank you. It is only the design of that one particular building that (just my opinion) I didn't like. Uptown D is beautiful, well thought-out and my friends who were up there over the past weekend were very impressed with all the construction. Perhaps they need more Class A office space, but the vacancy rates concern me. Do they just leave buildings empty? Can the people who run those office buildings without tenants make money? Food for thought.

Perhaps they need more Class A office space, but the vacancy rates concern me. Do they just leave buildings empty? Can the people who run those office buildings without tenants make money? Food for thought.

I find statements like this a little curious. Why does it concern you that an older office building may be left vacant by the construction of a newer one? Last time I checked, this is a free market economy. Are you suggesting that a developer who is absolutely certain a market exists for his product should voluntarily refrain from providing it because it may hurt the leasing prospects of a competitor down the street? That sounds a bit like those irritating auto radio ads where the obnoxious announcer says that they can't disclose our low, low prices because it may hurt the business of our competitors.

Entities that lease office space operate in a competitive market, just like anyone else. If that market is no longer interested in your product. (ie. your building) then like any other manager, you make the changes you need in order to compete, or you go out of business. (Demolition, conversion, abandonment).

This process works perfectly, whether you're talking about widgets or office space.

Welcome to America!

Hubba, hubba!

I find statements like this a little curious. Why does it concern you that an older office building may be left vacant by the construction of a newer one? Last time I checked, this is a free market economy. Are you suggesting that a developer who is absolutely certain a market exists for his product should voluntarily refrain from providing it because it may hurt the leasing prospects of a competitor down the street? That sounds a bit like those irritating auto radio ads where the obnoxious announcer says that they can't disclose our low, low prices because it may hurt the business of our competitors.

Entities that lease office space operate in a competitive market, just like anyone else. If that market is no longer interested in your product. (ie. your building) then like any other manager, you make the changes you need in order to compete, or you go out of business. (Demolition, conversion, abandonment).

This process works perfectly, whether you're talking about widgets or office space.

Welcome to America!

Hubba, hubba!

Well said.. B)

Actually, you guys are right. I found a link that is very positive regarding Dallas office vacancy. It isn't as bad as it looks on paper. In fact, this article shows significant improvement in the Dallas market with over 4 million sq. ft. going up. I'll provide you with that link:

Dallas Construction

B)

The article you posted is a summary of the METROPLEX office market. The questions raised in this thread concerned the Dallas CBD, and whether Uptown construction would negatively affect it. As such, a market summary that includes Fort Worth, Irving, and the northern suburbs adds nothing to the dialogue.

As for TexasStar's question why one would care if Dallas CBD's older buildings are vacated for new digs, anyone who actually cares if their CBD is alive and well would be concerned, as well as those of us who actually enjoy debating the effects of new development on the existing landscape. Those who prefer to merely drive down I-30 and admire the pretty buildings, oblivious to whether anyone actually WORKS in them, well, they might not be concerned with these questions.

The article you posted is a summary of the METROPLEX office market. The questions raised in this thread concerned the Dallas CBD, and whether Uptown construction would negatively affect it. As such, a market summary that includes Fort Worth, Irving, and the northern suburbs adds nothing to the dialogue.

As for TexasStar's question why one would care if Dallas CBD's older buildings are vacated for new digs, anyone who actually cares if their CBD is alive and well would be concerned, as well as those of us who actually enjoy debating the effects of new development on the existing landscape. Those who prefer to merely drive down I-30 and admire the pretty buildings, oblivious to whether anyone actually WORKS in them, well, they might not be concerned with these questions.

Naturally, that is one of the issues I raised on another thread. Who will grab those listless properties? But we have those in downtown Houston as well. I think lady luck will play her hand and we'll wait and see. I do think Houston and Dallas are two sunbelt cities that are prospering. It would be hard to say which has reaped the most rewards. However, I can say, "Dallas and Houston are duking it out" and that's the Texas way. :ph34r::ph34r:

Naturally, that is one of the issues I raised on another thread. Who will grab those listless properties? But we have those in downtown Houston as well. I think lady luck will play her hand and we'll wait and see. I do think Houston and Dallas are two sunbelt cities that are prospering. It would be hard to say which has reaped the most rewards. However, I can say, "Dallas and Houston are duking it out" and that's the Texas way. :ph34r::ph34r:

I agree. So many of Dallas' empty buildings are being converted to other uses, and that will probably continue to happen. It's just the evolution of the city. Downtown Fort Worth has a low office vancany rate, but in well over twenty years there's been very little new speculative office space built downtown. The city is excited now because a sixteen story spec building has been announced. I would rather live in a city the offers companies good, state of the art office space and plenty of it. Thus leaving the older buildings for other uses.

Archived