Uptown Dallas Density

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you object to phrase "urine soaked hell hole"?  I guess I could have said "pee pee soaked heckhole".

I spent three years up there and had a good time.

For those of you out of the Loop, that's a Sideshow Bob quote.

I got it the first time, no really I did. Ha, ha ,ha. I thought it was funny.

He was joking people.

I'm not sure how I like the idea of Uptown Dallas being so close to downtown. I know everybody loves density but I personally like the way Houston is setup with so much space in between DT and UT. Theres so many green spaces, parks and absolutely fantastic trees. I was driving down Memorial from UT yesterday (looking for the Orion condos) and love the way all the green spaces have been preserved. I hope the city never builds on these areas.

The drive from downtown on Memorial is great. I love going thru Memorial Park to Uptown. It's really "Uptown"! At any rate, Dallas and Houston are great cities. Love 'em both. It's us (Texans) against them (outstaters).

I believe that - but I also believe Austin won't be losing its appeal anytime soon.

Actually, Austin's population has started to decline in the last couple years. The dot com bust and downturn in technology companies has hit Austin very, very hard... Austin is a popular/cool city, but it's not booming like it was a few years ago... they've hit a plateau.

Well this is another project set for uptown. The retail/residential tower I posted was intended for this thread but got moved. This is another project announced today that will add to "uptown density." A 20 story office tower in uptown. It will be a couple blocks from the Cresent, one block from the new Ritz Carlton (under construction), across the street from 1999 Mckinney Ave (20 story residential tower and next to Sambuca. McKinney Ave is becoming another "main street" district for Dallas, but this time with tenants unlike downtown's main street.

Link to Dallas Morning News Story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n.d9ab8648.html

In Uptown, it's back to the office

Lincoln seeks tenants for area's biggest tower since 1999

10:50 PM CDT on Monday, May 23, 2005

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

"So far, the Uptown building boom has focused on residential and retail.

But that may soon change.

Developer Lincoln Property Co. is seeking tenants for the biggest office tower to be built in the area in more than a decade. Lincoln's building will have 400,000 square feet of space in 20 stories......"

"......"Supply presently is tight," said Jon Altschuler, managing director of Stream Realty Partners. "While demand currently is not exceptionally deep, there are several tenants floating around of size that could certainly serve as the impetus to jump-start a new development." ...."

I'm assuming that Uptown's zoned for both residential and commercial highrises but is it zoned in a way where the commercial highrises are noticeably seperated from the residential towers?

Thanks in advance.

Not too sure what you are asking here. If you are asking if there is a setback requirement between an office building and a residential tower, I would not think so. But only restrictions on the buildings themselves. If this where a neighborhood of homes, then this would be different.

I do not know what the restrictions are in this part of uptown, it really depends on where you are building. There are at least 3 planned districts within uptown. You have the St. Thomas PD, Oak Lawn which covers a large amount of Uptown (PD 193), and where the Ritz and the new office building are going, it is probably yet another. I know some of the building codes inparticular are being revisted for by the city council for the Arts District which is just on the other side of the Freeway where these buildings are going. There they have a set back requirement of for the building it reaches a certain height. (I belive 60ft or about 5 stories) Then the building is required to set back an additional amount from the property line and can go on for ever. Most of this has to do with daylight allowances.

Now in many building codes there are compatible building types allowed. So to answer your question, an office building is allowed to go adjacent to a residential tower and vice versa, but do not know of anything that will cause them to be seperated other then when you get into the heights.

Actually, Austin's population has started to decline in the last couple years. The dot com bust and downturn in technology companies has hit Austin very, very hard... Austin is a popular/cool city, but it's not booming like it was a few years ago... they've hit a plateau.

True, it took a hit, but it is rebounding nicely. Startups are booming again and I also just read this yesterday where Austin ranks #3 for starting a business or career.

• 1 month later...

This one is a stone's throw from my apartment and across the street from where Gables is currently finishing out a 7 story apartment building.

Uptown center's lot sold

Quadrangle parking area destined to be apartments or condos

11:41 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 19, 2005

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...le.1ff67f0.html

"A parking lot at the Quadrangle in Uptown is set to become apartments or condominiums....Fairfield Residential, one of the companies building housing in the Victory project, has bought 2.5 acres of the Quadrangle complex.....With its location just a block off McKinney Avenue, the Quadrangle property is a likely candidate for mid-rise or high-rise apartments or condos...."We are planning to do a residential development there," said Fairfield Residential's Barry Howard. "Right now, we are working to decide what is most appropriate for the neighborhood....The developer will replace all of the parking now on the open lot....."

• 2 weeks later...

Turtle Creek high-rise

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...l.1c8019ca.html

"Plans for a Turtle Creek high-rise project are moving ahead....Classic Residence by Hyatt has completed its purchase of a 5.85-acre development site on Turtle Creek at Bowen Street.....the development would have about 270 residences for independent living and an assisted living and skilled nursing care center. The building is scheduled to open in 2008...."

Its just a few weeks before a couple more skycranes are added to that picture. The bases for the Ritz Carlton in front of the Crescent are in place. I would estimate another two sky cranes for the Azure will be in place in about 6wks. That will be to the left of the of the Ashton (Redish/Pink Brick with the top two floors in white stone) to the left of the Crescent.

I'm not sure how I like the idea of Uptown Dallas being so close to downtown. I know everybody loves density but I personally like the way Houston is setup with so much space in between DT and UT. Theres so many green spaces, parks and absolutely fantastic trees. I was driving down Memorial from UT yesterday (looking for the Orion condos) and love the way all the green spaces have been preserved. I hope the city never builds on these areas.

I travel to New York and when I think of density, that's density. I don't want Houston to ever get like that. Nothing against a Midtown concept, but bigger isn't always better. I like Dallas' Uptown (quite a showpiece). But we've got quite an Uptown down here on the Bayou as well. Keep buildin' Texas!

• 1 month later...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...1.1df26242.html

Steve Brown:

08:55 AM CDT on Friday, September 16, 2005

Uptown tower planned

".....................Lincoln Property Co. is finalizing plans for its Uptown office tower.

The 20-story, 445,000-square-foot building is set for the McKinney Avenue block between Olive and Harwood streets.

HKS Inc. designed the tower, which is supposed to open in early 2008.

The developer is quoting rents of $29.50 per square foot annually for the tower, which is to be built south of the new Ritz-Carlton Hotel..........."

A couple others.

Know of a new 20 story tower that will be going up at West Village. Not formerly announced at this time. But Hank Haney's Golf is closing in October at the corner of Blackburn and McKinney where the new tower will be. Believe WDG architects is designing the building for Gables.

Could not find the story on Globe St., but a developer outside of Dallas has moved in and bought property in Uptown at the corner of Fairmont and McKinney. Currently Oak Bank and a small walk-up strip center is there. This will be a new residential building with a height restriction of 240 ft.

Off of Cole Avenue heading from West Village towards downtown. Gables has bought two properties for future development. One has currently been raised from the landscape and they are in the beginning stages of excavation.

Another Cailfornia developer has snatched up an office building off of Katy Trail (low rise) and has announced plans of a highrise residential tower. Not much other than an announcement.

• 1 month later...

Plans for Cityplace towers take shape

20-story buildings at golf center site will have residential and retail space

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n2.339080c.html

12:00 AM CDT on Friday, October 28, 2005

"Developers have unveiled architectural plans for two residential towers in Dallas' Cityplace project."

"Fairfield Residential LLC and Cityplace Co. will build a 20-story building at McKinney Avenue and Blackburn Street, across the street from the popular West Village complex."

"WDG Habib Architecture designed the masonry, metal and glass tower, which will have retail space on the lower floors."

"Next door, between Cityplace West Boulevard and Blackburn, Trammell Crow Residential and Cityplace Co. will build another 20-story condominium building with retail and office space. That tower is designed by Good, Fulton & Farrell Inc."

"Plans for the buildings were unveiled Thursday night at a closing party for the Hank Haney Golf Center at Cityplace. "

"The popular Uptown driving range and practice facility is shutting down to make way for the developments. Cityplace Co. owns the land under the practice facility."

• 3 months later...

Byrne to build condos

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...1.1db2fc24.html

"Fort Worth-based general contractor Thos. S. Byrne Ltd. has been hired to build the Cresta Bella condominium high-rise on Turtle Creek....Construction is scheduled to begin on the $100 million project this spring....The building will contain 55 residences ranging from 2,600 to more than 13,000 square feet....Contractor Byrne has worked on projects including Dallas' Latino Cultural Center and the Kimbell Art Museum and Pier One Imports' corporate office in Fort Worth."

• 3 months later...

It's an Uptown whirl

11:39 PM CDT on Thursday, May 11, 2006

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...n.220fab60.html

KYE R. LEE/DMN

Harwood International of Dallas and Westbank Project Corp. of Vancouver are building the 31-story Azure tower. The Dallas real estate market is going Uptown.

The trendy neighborhood between downtown and Turtle Creek is sprouting construction cranes like weeds. Even more projects are planned to start in the coming months than are currently under construction.

More than a dozen major developments are under construction and 16 are in the works.

The latest building census includes 14 condo and townhouse projects, nine apartment complexes and five office towers.

And don't forget the retail

• 4 weeks later...
appropriate for the thread title

uptown16000fm.jpg

This picture shows something very interesting... The long, low building in front of the red brick West End buildings was demolished a couple of weeks ago. It looks like a lot of garage doors, but was actually an old railroad warehouse built almost 100 years ago.

Apparently the building, in the designated West End historic district, was torn down without the City's final consent. The City now expects the owner/developer to rebuild the exact structure as it was - which is within their rights according to the Historic Designation of the area.

The building itself was no jewel (no one knew what to do with it), but the city is trying to make a point: Regardless of the structure itself - if you tear down a building in a historic district without authorization, you will not be able to simply get your wrist slapped to let "bygones be bygones". You will have to pay significantly to restore the destruction you created.

Personally I do not think the warehouse needs to be recreated exactly, but the developer should have to create something in the same spirit as to what was there prior. In addition, the city should make them fund a number of other improvements in the West End Historic District.

In the end, the message should get out that the city will not tolerate the improper destruction of Dallas' few remaining protected historic structures.

• 2 months later...

Renovations Planned for Historic TX Hotels

By Nellie Day Email this story | Printer-friendly | Reprints

http://www.globest.com/news/672_672/dallas/148158-1.html

"....St. Anthony HotelDALLAS-The historic St. Anthony Hotel in Downtown San Antonio and the Stoneleigh Hotel in Uptown Dallas will undergo more than $50 million of renovations......"

"....The 171-unit Stoneleigh Hotel will undergo $25 million worth of improvements that will include adding a 5,200-sf spa and refurbishing guest rooms and restaurant, bar and lobby areas. Construction will begin this summer and include a 110-unit, 22-story luxury condominium component called The Tower Residences, to be built adjacent to the hotel. A grand re-opening is scheduled for summer of 2007....."

Question. With all the vacant office space in downtown Dallas, does that mean they have given up on filling downtown Dallas and are focusing on Uptown? I see, kinda, like that happens in Houston, in that Energy Corridor can't get enough space, but downtown still has like 19 percent vacancy or something. Probably just the way we do it down here in Texas. ? :unsure:

Question. With all the vacant office space in downtown Dallas, does that mean they have given up on filling downtown Dallas and are focusing on Uptown? I see, kinda, like that happens in Houston, in that Energy Corridor can't get enough space, but downtown still has like 19 percent vacancy or something. Probably just the way we do it down here in Texas. ? :unsure:

No... The cranes you are seeing are for Cirque (residential tower), Azure (residential tower), Ritz Carloton hotel, Hunt Oil new home office tower (inside the downtown loop not uptown). You also have One Arts Plaza which is in the downtown loop which is not shown. The Employeers Insurance Building is adding a new addition near the city hall (downtown) and Corgan architects is building a new home office (low rise building) in the West End. There are a couple office towers in the planning stages for uptown, but they have not started construction.

This topic has been discussed many times before in other threads. Only seeming to go round in circles. All you have to do is look around downtown and main street and see no one has or is given up on downtown. There is new construction in all parts of the CBD.

Downtown Houston's Class A vacancy rate has dropped to approximately 17.0%. Since 2000, Downtown Houston's added four highrise office buildings plus two government highrises, and yet despite a brief downturn in the oil industry from 2000 - 2004, the vacancy rate has dropped fairly significantly over the last two years, despite the addition of this new office space. Enron alone directly and indirectly had a 2.0%-plus impact on DT Houston's vacancy rate. A healthy rate for a CBD is roughly 14% to 15%. In fact, it appears DT AND the Energy Corridor are two of the markets hottest sub-markets.

Downtown Houston's Class A vacancy rate has dropped to approximately 17.0%. Since 2000, Downtown Houston's added four highrise office buildings plus two government highrises, and yet despite a brief downturn in the oil industry from 2000 - 2004, the vacancy rate has dropped fairly significantly over the last two years, despite the addition of this new office space. Enron alone directly and indirectly had a 2.0%-plus impact on DT Houston's vacancy rate. A healthy rate for a CBD is roughly 14% to 15%. In fact, it appears DT AND the Energy Corridor are two of the markets hottest sub-markets.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Didn't know downtown Houston was down to 17%. Perhaps some new towers on the horizon for downtown?

Archived