Uptown Dallas Density

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're referring to North Park Mall. If so, the answer is, that's not Uptown. That mall sits between the Glen Lakes and Park Cities at NW Highway and Central Expressway. Uptown runs from Woodall Rodgers (northern border of CBD/Arts District) up to Haskell/Blackburn(Cityplace building). It contains Victory, Crescent Complex, International Centre, State-Thomas, LoMac, and the West Village/Cityplace development.

This pic gives a good location perspective

105_0595.jpg

As for Uptown not being that dense, I'd agree that tall building-wise its not, but street level and actual stats tell a different story. I'd say in ten years though, it will be very dense in taller buildings. There are 8 here alone that are either in pre-leasing or under construction. Very hot market for developers.

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php?t=1935

from the northern end. Endless sea of apts, condos and townhomes. The townhomes continue up north in Knox Park as well.

downtown%20from%2017de.jpg

I can see Midtown Houston becoming this dense, or slightly more dense. OF COURSE, Midtown would also have the standard issue Houston renegades ( CVS, etc ) this is a good example of what zoning/deed restrictions can do.

No not CVS. There are building another one on the Grand Parkway at Kingsland Blvd. There is already one 2 miles down Grand Parkway next to the SuperTarget at my aparment complex in Cinco Ranch. There are to many of these popping up in my area. Many others on the East side of the Grand Parkway in Katy and West of South Fry Road in Katy.

Virtually all of the recent (within 10 years) low, mid & high rise development in this part of Dallas - uptown - has brought residential units to vacant or unoccupied lots, and the affluence associated a Turtle Creek Blvd address blankets uptown's new addresses. It seems very likely that as soon as the last empty lot is prepared for mid/highrise construction, the remaining garden apartments from the 50's and 60's will be ready to fall. Some of the most desirable locations in uptown are occupied by aging apartment buildings with a very short life expectancy. This area should not be expected to slow down.

From what I gather, Dallas' uptown is comaprable to Houston's midtown, when considering location and general neighborhood character. Both of these areas are going to be the "hottest" spots in the state during the coming decades of anticipated population and economic growth. I'm inclined to think joining the short list of Texas highrise urban residential destinations will be downtown San Antonio and Austin immediately south of Town Lake. The sooner Austin and San Antonio make the jump to offgrade public transportation (trains) the sooner development will have a fixed public transportation route to stabalize some development speculation.

• 3 months later...

This is an article from Dallas morning news with compiled list of current projects. Most of these are in the Victory, downtown, and uptown (turtle creek, west village, McKinney Ave). If they are not under construction they will be within the next year. There many more in the planning stages that have been announced but not as far a long as the ones listed below.

Urban renewed

Retail, hotels are joining Uptown neighborhoods

09:46 PM CST on Thursday, November 25, 2004

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

Uptown is ground zero for the North Texas building boom.

More than a dozen major developments are in the works north of downtown Dallas, and construction is under way on more than 900 apartments, condos and townhouses.

Demand for sites is so strong that land prices are topping $70 per square foot, even higher than downtown.

That's not bad for a neighborhood that in the early 1980s was a collection of vacant car lots, rundown houses and old warehouses. And if developers can find enough land to build on, the next 20 years should see even more construction.

Part of Uptown's appeal is its personality

Not yet but they are supposed to soon.

713 to 214...did you get my PM?

Well I just drove by today on my way to lunch. I do not know if it is One Victory, but they have starting digging (probably for peers) on the site at Houston and Victory Ave. This is on the Woodall Rogers side next to Hooters. So looks like Hillwood is keeping their word and have broken ground on another building.

If done right, Midtown Houston could be even greater than Uptown Dallas.

The potential of Midtown is huge, especially the area from Louisiana to San Jacinto and Pierce to Elgin. But it must not be developed as a bunch of isolated compounds, rather it should be a number of open properties, interconnected with the neighborhood.

The potential of Midtown is huge, especially the area from Louisiana to San Jacinto and Pierce to Elgin.  But it must not be developed as a bunch of isolated compounds, rather it should be a number of open properties, interconnected with the neighborhood.

What are the light rail plans through Midtown? Developments in Dallas along the DART lines should give general idea what will come along the train lines in Houston.

In my previous post I had not even considered the rail component.

While DART is having great success in Dallas, the rail line generally bypasses Uptown (aside from Cityplace which is kind of on the fringe). Sure, the M-Line trolly passes through, but that is more novelty than practical.

Meanwhile, back to Midtown Houston - the Main Street Metro line runs right through Midtown with several stops. Hopefully that will help to fuel Midtown's development.

In my previous post I had not even considered the rail component. 

While DART is having great success in Dallas, the rail line generally bypasses Uptown (aside from Cityplace which is kind of on the fringe).  Sure, the M-Line trolly passes through, but that is more novelty than practical.

Meanwhile, back to Midtown Houston - the Main Street Metro line runs right through Midtown with several stops.  Hopefully that will help to fuel Midtown's development.

Citiplace (West Village) and Victory both are generally considered part of uptown, and represent the bookends of Dallas hip, new & upscale urban area. [Personally, I'm hoping uptown will successfully drain the pretentious encroachment out of Deep Ellum so Dallas' hip, grungy urban area will get its soul back.]

Additionally, both Citiplace and Victory are served by DART rail, but your right that the impact of Transit Oriented Development has had little to do with the growth of uptown, it's kinda weird. The Trolly is working out plans to upgrade/update the system and plans significant expand within the Central Business District to be functional for commuters rather than just a novelty. With a turn-around at the Citiplace DART Station, the trolly should have a good life funneling commuters from the northern suburbs into uptown and giving uptown residents a convenient connection to the North-South spine of DART as well as the CBD. I'm unaware of official plans to run the Trolly into the Victory development and create a transfer to the DART line serving Las Colinas, DFW Airport, and NW satellite cities, but that has to be on the minds of DART, Trolly and Victory planners.

Future Midtown Houston will benefit from preexisting rail transportation into the CBD. As long as the same line runs from downtown through midtown then to uptown, the prospect of a carless existance in Houston is very promising.

Archived