Luby's to liquidate all operations and assets

• 3 years later...

Sold to Calvin Gin in 2021.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/lubys-32-texas-locations-restaurants-food-16262553.php

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/lubys-cafeteria-new-owner-calvin-gin/

While there still have been multiple closures of locations, I'm glad to see the majority discussed at the time of the sale are still open. 

I was able to take my kids to one of them for their first time a few weeks ago - specifically the one in Stafford on Murphy Road at West Airport. I used the excuse of "wanting to show my oldest daughter a cafeteria" since she's going to kindergarten soon and hadn't been to one yet... and my wife isn't that big on cafeterias or buffets. Bringing my mom helped moved it into the personal win column. 

We went at about 7 in the evening and it was a little busier than I had expected but nothing terribly overwhelming. Good mix of ages as there were a couple of large groups having events mixed in with our family and other patrons.

The food was fresh and made well, the service was exemplary and it was just generally a good, filling meal with a nice and relaxed atmosphere.

May they continue to see success.

I did not realize about 63 locations were still open.      Looks like about 1/2 will close.    

That was a staple growing up - (actually Wyatt's was before Luby's bought them) - but it's been years since I have been.   

The fried cod with a strawberry shortcake dessert.     Something about that liquid red sugar.  Yum!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pleak said:

I did not realize about 63 locations were still open.      Looks like about 1/2 will close.    

That was a staple growing up - (actually Wyatt's was before Luby's bought them) - but it's been years since I have been.   

The fried cod with a strawberry shortcake dessert.     Something about that liquid red sugar.  Yum!

I wonder if the downtown location will stay open. I understand it does good business. 

On 6/30/2023 at 11:49 AM, Pleak said:

The closures already occurred back in 2020-21. There's 32 locations left now.

On 6/30/2023 at 4:42 PM, editor said:

I wonder if the downtown location will stay open. I understand it does good business. 

The only Luby's downtown I'm aware of is the Luby's Etc. in the basement of the Civil Courthouse at 201 Caroline. It's only open from like 7am to 3pm M-F, and they serve smaller portions at concession prices. I'm not even sure it's under the Luby's umbrella since Luby's sold its Culinary Contract Services Business to Pappas in 2021. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 7:30 PM, JLWM8609 said:

The closures already occurred back in 2020-21. There's 32 locations left now.

The only Luby's downtown I'm aware of is the Luby's Etc. in the basement of the Civil Courthouse at 201 Caroline. It's only open from like 7am to 3pm M-F, and they serve smaller portions at concession prices. I'm not even sure it's under the Luby's umbrella since Luby's sold its Culinary Contract Services Business to Pappas in 2021. 

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking about. I haven't been there, but they put a sandwich sign on the sidewalk some days. 

• Like 1