Memories Of Kingwood

VicMan

Kingwood is a suburban community which is within the Houston city limits. Kingwoodians have Houston city services yet also do not consider themselves to be Houstonians.

Kingwood was annexed by Houston in 1994. The aftermath was messy: there was a large group of people who wanted to disannex from Houston. The measure can fail, though "Free Kingwood" banners are still seen in places.

Also, Kingwood is a part of Humble ISD.

Kingwood even has its own official internet forum at its website.

I've only ever known two people from Kingwood. Both hated the city of Houston and wanted nothing greater than to be their own city once again. But at the same time they didn't want to give up any city services. You can't have it both way, people.

FWIW, both also believe any form of rail transit is a boondoggle, and that there is plenty of capacity in Houston's freeway system, which they can personally vouch for since both commute between Houston and Kingwood at 10am and 10pm -- the big traffic times. :wacko:

I'm a guy who believes that Kingwood should join Houston ISD and have a fishery magnet program at one of its local high schools (Japan has fishery high schools that own fleets of fishing boats). I don't see a problem with school of choice.

I also suggested the idea of commuter rail to Kingwood and the idea of the Kingwood Library partnering up with the Houston Public Library system in the same way that Clear Lake's did (allow the Houston Library Cards at the branch, though I didn't know the specifics at the time).

If Kingwood is to be in the city limits, why not partake in city services?

• 1 year later...
I've only ever known two people from Kingwood. Both hated the city of Houston and wanted nothing greater than to be their own city once again. But at the same time they didn't want to give up any city services. You can't have it both way, people.

FWIW, both also believe any form of rail transit is a boondoggle, and that there is plenty of capacity in Houston's freeway system, which they can personally vouch for since both commute between Houston and Kingwood at 10am and 10pm -- the big traffic times. :wacko:

Correct on your message,

If you recall in the media, news articles, when it was 1st announced (annexation) it was like WW3. That was a few years ago. I vividly recall an older lady being interviewed on TV and she was quite ugly about her comments on Houston. Her comments were so out of line and not well thought out. As mentioned in several stories areas like Kingwood/Conroe (especially The Woodlands) should really feel thankful for cities like Houston becasue had it not been for Houston they would not exist. Since the beginning of time, its a known fact that its starts as village, town, city, metropolis an so on. It was bound to happen. Just as a child grows from infant to adult. People can keep pulling up roots and moving farther away but they are only distancing thmeselves from jobs, etc. I have a brother having a home built near outskirts of The Woodlands he chose that area because it was a secluded spot with woods. The home isnt even finished and the woods he liked are gone and new developments are in the works. So you see as they saying goes you can run but you can hide. Society just has to be more intolerant.

Kingwood was never its own city. It was always unincorporated territory within Houston's ETJ.

• The title was changed to Memories Of Kingwood

Archived