Downtown Rioting

Following the murder of George Floyd, peaceful protests took place through the afternoon and evening yesterday. Unfortunately, as the night went on, it appears some people took advantage of the situation and vandalized some areas of downtown. See the images and videos from instagram below:

These are sensitive times, and I don't mean to send any negative messages in posting these images. To me these actions seem to take on a more selfish nature than in support of any just cause, and it saddens me to think that anyone would believe that this destruction would result in a positive outcome for the cause. 

2 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Following the murder of George Floyd, peaceful protests took place through the afternoon and evening yesterday. Unfortunately, as the night went on, it appears some people took advantage of the situation and vandalized some areas of downtown. See the images and videos from instagram below:

These are sensitive times, and I don't mean to send any negative messages in posting these images. To me these actions seem to take on a more selfish nature than in support of any just cause, and it saddens me to think that anyone would believe that this destruction would result in a positive outcome for the cause. 

how did sakowitz, Macy’s, forever 21, and books a million end up doing? Please pray for Houston GFR. 

47 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

how did sakowitz, Macy’s, forever 21, and books a million end up doing? Please pray for Houston GFR. 

Not sure about those places but I heard that the Lowes State and the Majestic theaters are shutting down permanently and they are moving the state capital to Austin.

4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Is that paint removable? I'm assuming just regular paint thinner? Spray painting our buildings is just dumb as hell

Yeah - this guy was cleaning early yesterday morning with "Goof Off"

https://abc13.com/society/mans-love-for-houston-urges-him-to-clean-graffiti-from-protest/6220875/

I passed by Jones Hall and Alley Theater, and a few people were removing the spray paint from the buildings. I don’t think most of that is coming off. And that really sucks. Unless they plan on doing a second cleanup. I saw the piano company boarded up. I’m assuming more so people wouldn’t break their windows. Does anyone know if they suffered damage?

22 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Essentially it translates to "I'm not overly fond of the police"

Gotcha, thanks! Guess I wasn't in on that one. All I could come up with was Tom Brady and I didn't think people were THAT mad at him here...

It's so cute that the local anarchist chapter wrote the big scary F-word in black spray paint. If they get caught, their mom is going to get a phone call and they will probably have to write a letter on why spray painting is wrong, and so is bad language.

It was awesome to see everyone cooperating and even cleaning up after the main event yesterday. Quite an amazing sight to see that many people downtown.

It does look like, however, many businesses are keeping the plywood up on their ground level floors. Here is an image from a FB friend who works downtown:

HOU.jpg

Archived