East End Restaurants To Try

15 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Hopefully TXDOT will acquire and bulldoze it soon, to put it out of its misery. 

from the looks of the strip center, the owners have been answering every phone call, hoping it's the one from TXDOT.

this building is not a shining example of why the realignment shouldn't happen.

13 hours ago, EaDolivin said:

I can already tell this bar is trash before I ever set foot in it.

one man's trash is another man's smelly bar they can curl up into a cheap glass of really bad, but overpoured booze. if you drink enough, the smell would eventually go away.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, staresatmaps said:

As long as the drinks are cheap I could care less. If they keep everything from the last place, it was actually pretty nice.

see!

and actually, I agree, I'm more impressed with the places that have decently priced alcohol and aren't trying to attract the see/be seen crowd.

• Like 1

Had lunch at Acadian Coast today and it was pretty rough.

There were 3 of us, and we were the 8th-10th people in the restaurant, and it took more than 30 minutes for us to get our food. Waitress said that it was the head chef's first day off after working 23 days in a row and the sous chef just had a baby and is out, so the line cook was the only one back there and that she was having to help prepare the food. 

I know things are tough in the industry, but not a great experience. Lunch took north of an hour. 

3 hours ago, wilcal said:

Had lunch at Acadian Coast today and it was pretty rough.

There were 3 of us, and we were the 8th-10th people in the restaurant, and it took more than 30 minutes for us to get our food. Waitress said that it was the head chef's first day off after working 23 days in a row and the sous chef just had a baby and is out, so the line cook was the only one back there and that she was having to help prepare the food. 

I know things are tough in the industry, but not a great experience. Lunch took north of an hour. 

Interesting. I've had a good time when I've been. Hope your experience is an anomaly and not a new trend.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

I think that we should all give, even well established restaurants, a little leeway right now. It’s no secret that labor is a major issue.  Sounds like Acadian Coast explained the issue pretty clearly. 

Agree... had Sunday brunch a few weeks ago with several friends at the newish Acme Oyster House in Montrose... food was great but service was so slow and we were shocked that on a Sunday when they were obviously busy that they were closing between 3pm and 5pm.  Well after a quick talk with our server we found out why... it was a labor issue... they were short staffed and the cooks were very overworked.  So obviously we understood.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, Naviguessor said:

I think that we should all give, even well established restaurants, a little leeway right now. It’s no secret that labor is a major issue.  Sounds like Acadian Coast explained the issue pretty clearly. 

I completely agree. Food was cooked well, which is what I was looking for. However, if I had known it was going to take that long I would have gone to Roostar 😄

On 7/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, HtownWxBoy said:

Agree... had Sunday brunch a few weeks ago with several friends at the newish Acme Oyster House in Montrose... food was great but service was so slow and we were shocked that on a Sunday when they were obviously busy that they were closing between 3pm and 5pm.  Well after a quick talk with our server we found out why... it was a labor issue... they were short staffed and the cooks were very overworked.  So obviously we understood.  

For the first few weeks they were open, they were literally running out of food on Sundays. They are closed on Monday/Tuesday so I kind of get it. The waitress we had there was really good and she said she was actually driving down from Cleveland to work. She was also taking shifts at two other restaurants trying to decide which one paid more. Restaurant labor shortage definitely real!

• Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 12:53 AM, staresatmaps said:

CobosBBQ moving in next door.

So this is another new place going in at this strip center which is definitely in the path of the I-45 reroute. Leads me to believe that the owners of this land know something about the project that perhaps hasn’t been made public. Maybe the federal Title VI investigation has some momentum to it and the efforts to undermine the project have a chance of succeeding. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 4:30 PM, thedistrict84 said:

So this is another new place going in at this strip center which is definitely in the path of the I-45 reroute. Leads me to believe that the owners of this land know something about the project that perhaps hasn’t been made public. Maybe the federal Title VI investigation has some momentum to it and the efforts to undermine the project have a chance of succeeding. 

Idk, seeing the state that strip mall is in these days I feel like they are just running out the clock. BBQ might be a good fit, seeing as the actual cooking equipment can often be attached to the back of a truck and driven away when the time comes. Plus you can just slap down some cheap plastic tables and chairs and that makes it a more 'authentic' BBQ experience :)

3 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Idk, seeing the state that strip mall is in these days I feel like they are just running out the clock. BBQ might be a good fit, seeing as the actual cooking equipment can often be attached to the back of a truck and driven away when the time comes. Plus you can just slap down some cheap plastic tables and chairs and that makes it a more 'authentic' BBQ experience :)

serve the meat in wrapped up butcher paper and it's even more authentic.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to East End Restaurants To Try
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, samagon said:

Kanomwan put a message on FB that they are closed until further notice.

Looking at recent posts on their FB page, it's pretty clear that like many other restaurants, they've been struggling with staff shortages for some time now. I certainly hope they reopen soon, as I would dearly hate to have to add them to the mental list I've been keeping of places that have permanently closed as either a direct or indirect result of the pandemic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

Now we just need someone to open up where Lucky's Pub was in EaDo ... such a great space and location ... hate seeing it empty. 

New Dynamo owner made a bunch of money in real estate. I'm hoping that they start buying up some property around the stadium. 

it is a great location, and can be a great space.

Lucky's though, it started feeling run down when other places started opening around them. when Pitch25 opened, and they still were as is where is, I knew they weren't going to be sticking around much longer. 

for as forward thinking as they were when they put the place in years ago, they sure didn't see the need about 5 years ago to shut down for a few months to update the space to stay relevant in the face of all the new competition. 

makes me wonder if the owners were actually forward thinking to put it there, or if they just saw cheap rent (at the time), and then ended up getting lucky.

anyway, yeah, great space for possibilities, although if I were in the market for a warehouse bar in the area, I'd be interested, but would ultimately not jump in because of the unknowns with the freeway expansion. due to access restrictions, that specific site is going to be probably one of the most heavily impacted sites (that isn't being condemned).

• Like 2

Talked with the owner on Twitter. Goal is to open Oct. 15 pending TABC license.

Outdoor area will have shade/TVs. 

Said that he's basically guaranteed at least 3-4 years of being open with pending NHHIP, and the location makes enough sense to make it happen for them.

Seems like a good guy, so hope it works out for him!

• Like 6

every time I look at pictures, I'm like "but they have to provide parking!" and then I remember that this is part of the CBD and they never had to have parking. good for them making the most use of the available space, and I hope they get to use it for longer than TXDOT wants to let them.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 12:55 PM, samagon said:

Kanomwan put a message on FB that they are closed until further notice.

There are now comments on that post indicating that a lockout notice was posted over a month ago, and someone that drove by there last week said the interior has been gutted. Such a huge loss - I hope that they are eventually able to come back in some form. 😩

• Sad 1

Speaking of East End Restaurants that are back, Villa Arcos has quietly reopened. Their web presence still shows them as closed (or as having reopened in June, depending), but the sign on the door shows that they are now open limited hours and limited capacity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 2:08 PM, JBTX said:

Speaking of East End Restaurants that are back, Villa Arcos has quietly reopened. Their web presence still shows them as closed (or as having reopened in June, depending), but the sign on the door shows that they are now open limited hours and limited capacity.

HALLELUJAH JESUS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Villa Arcos is good but they are proud of there tacos...

• 2 weeks later...

@JBTX we've been by a few times and each time they have been closed. Do you know what their new hours are?

Thanks!

8 things to know in Houston food right now: Openings, closings, and a new Heights patio bar

"Seminal Houston Thai restaurant Kanomwan has been closed since September, but it might make a comeback in 2022. Patarawan Charoenrat, daughter of founders Yuthana and Darawan Charoenrat, tells Houston Food Finder that her mother simply needed a break from the business and may resume operations next year. That would be good news for the East End favorite, which has served classic Thai soups, curries, and more since the mid-80s."

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 10:00 AM, phillip_white said:

Building permit issued for "Opening Day Bar" in the former Lucky's Pub location.

https://365thingsinhouston.com/2022/03/16/saint-patricks-day-celebrations-parties-events-bars-pubs-houston-march-2022/

• St. Patrick’s Day Festival at Lucky’s Pub | St. Patrick’s Day, March 17 – The EaDo venue opens again for the return of the St. Patrick’s Day party, featuring 2 stages of live music, bagpipers, food trucks and plenty of green beer across 3 city blocks. $10 and up. 6am (yep, in the morning) to 2am.

So confused.