Jump to content

East End Restaurants To Try


Recommended Posts

preface: there's a lot of new residents checking out this sub forum, they are looking for good places to eat. Let's use this to share locations, and recommendations. 

 

you can format your recommendations however you want, but to make it easy, try:

 

restaurant name

food type

location

favorite dish

BYOB?

 

Kanomwan

Thai

https://goo.gl/maps/dLxueyTtQd8Ug3oL7

Pad Ka Pow

yes! BYOB!

 

Huyhn

Vietnamese

https://g.page/HuynhRestaurant?share

#70

yes! BOYB!

 

Texas Taco and BBQ

tacos and BBQ

https://goo.gl/maps/vsvWqvWXhbFUJhGb9

hot mess (loaded BBQ baked potato, only it's french fries instead of a baked potato, and some queso)

no :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get weird looks when I say it, but Merida's is the best Mexican food on Navigation. Spanks Ninfa's and El Tiempo.

 

Only thing is, Merida's is Mexican, not TexMex, so some of their TexMex is moo (sorry queso).

 

Best dishes: pollo pibil and the salsa with serranos and chili pequines that they don't give to everyone unless they know you (just ask for the "other salsa" or "the hotter salsa").

 

Not BYOB, probably, but I don't know if they'll stop you. 

Edited by JBTX
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JBTX said:

I get weird looks when I say it, but Merida's is the best Mexican food on Navigation. Spanks Ninfa's and El Tiempo.

 

Only thing is, Merida's is Mexican, not TexMex, so some of their TexMex is moo (sorry queso).

 

Best dishes: pollo pibil and the salsa with serranos and chili pequines that they don't give to everyone unless they know you (just ask for the "other salsa" or "the hotter salsa").

 

Not BYOB, probably, but I don't know if they'll stop you. 

Whole heatedly agree. It's better priced than the other places down the road. They're not BYOB though. 

Most importantly, they have the best margaritas in Houston, IMO. Specifically order the Fresh Lime Margaritas.  They blow the house margs out of the water.  They're cheaper and better than others in the area. Trust me, I know from experience 😄.  I've been a fan of this gem and walk over for dinner often, but I've been picking up food and margaritas especially nowadays where you can take them to-go!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also to add to the list:

*I'm not aware of the BYOB policy on any of these places.  I'm not even sure if I've ever brought my own booze into an establishment before. 

*Skipping adding the location because you're probably going to Google the place before you go anyway.

 

Nancy's hustle

New American/Bistro

Everything on the menu.  Especially Nancy Cakes.   

 

Villas Arcos

Breakfast tacos

Chorizo taco with beans and cheese

 

Treats of Mexico

Mexican desserts and snacks

Chamoyadas.  Or Unique ice cream flavors served in a concha bun.

 

Rodeo Goat

Burgers

'Boadacious' burger

 

Edited by EaDolivin
Removed Cajun Town. It closed down in May.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

La Esquina

Taco Truck with patio seating and bathroom (!)

Hunt @ Harrisburg

Breakfast tacos, barbacoa, horchata

Usually a cooler of free beer on weekends

 

Cajun Stop

Jefferson @ Hutchins

Shrimp Po' boy with cocktail sauce

Not BYOB

 

La Reynera

Bakery/Tacos

McKinney, near Cullen

Killer tortas, bolillos, conchas, etc

Not sure about BYOB; more of a takeout spot

 

Cafe TH

Vietnamese

Pease at St. Emanuel

Hu Tieu Do Bien (seafood noodle soup), but really anything is good

BYOB!

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cajun town is RIP as of today. For lease sign went up today. Sorry all.

 

2 hours ago, EaDolivin said:

I've been a fan of this gem and walk over for dinner often, but I've been picking up food and margaritas especially nowadays where you can take them to-go!

 

Same.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Cajun town is RIP as of today. For lease sign went up today. Sorry all.

 

Well, that certainly sucks. I used to eat at their Greens Road location semi-regularly, but after they moved to the East End I only got to go to the new location once. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, linearmovement said:

La Reynera

Bakery/Tacos

McKinney, near Cullen

Killer tortas, bolillos, conchas, etc

Not sure about BYOB; more of a takeout spot

 

La Reynera

Their breakfast tacos/burritos and salsa... my mouth is watering.

 

Crystal Sword

Coffee Shop

Telephone & Fourcade

Latte, Cappuccino, Americano

They sell beer & wine, but more importantly, specialty board games.

 

 

Taqueria Monchys

Texas Mex/Mexican

719 Telephone Rd

Any of their breakfast burritos

N/A

 

District 7

Bar Food

Bell & Hutchins

Hot Buffalo Chicken Pizza (Do not go for brunch)

Beer on tap

 

Indianola

Gulf Coast/Texas

St Emanuel & Dallas

Brunch

Full cocktail list

 

 

Tout Suite

Bakery/Comfort

Commerce & Chartres

Grilled Cheese with Tomato Basil Soup (plus the Macaroons are great)

Wine/Beer/Cocktail List

 

Original Ninfa's on Navigation

TexMex

Navigation & Delano

Fajitas, Flautas, Tacos, anything really. Best to share with someone the portions are huge.

Wine/Beer/Cocktail List (spicy margarita is amazing. Can't remember if it's cucumber and jalapeno or something like that).

 

Places I want to try:

 

How to Survive on Land & Sea

Sigma Brewing Company

Taqueria Los Mexicanos

Antojitos Salvadorenos

East End Hardware

Restaurante Monte Cristo

Chapman And Kirby

Lil' Danny Speedo's Go Fly a Kite Lounge

 

Places I would not recommend:

 

Mandola's Deli (food was mediocre and their hours at 10am-6pm. They serve beer and wine.

Kim Son (Continues to go down hill)

Rodeo Goat (tried it twice - fool me once, you can't fool me again)

Truck Yard (Beer and atmosphere, yes, Cheesesteaks and other food, no)

Moon Tower Inn (Beer and atmosphere, yes, food no)

Voodoo Queen (Daiquiris and atmosphere, yes, bar food no)

El Charro Mexican Bar & Grill (everything is a grease sponge)

SeaSide Poke (🤢)

8th Wonder Brewery (Beer and food. Not every beer needs to be 80% hops)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Places I would not recommend:

 

Moon Tower Inn (Beer and atmosphere, yes, food no)

 

 

 

What did you order? Everything I've ever had was great (but I admittedly just eat all the various dogs they have).

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had Moon Tower a ton of times and the food is awesome.  The burgers are legit as are the dogs.  I usually go for chef's choice for the toppings on my hot dog and that is where you run a high risk/reward chance.  I've had amazing dogs that way and have had some failures too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Places I want to try:

 

Sigma Brewing Company

Taqueria Los Mexicanos

Lil' Danny Speedo's Go Fly a Kite Lounge

 

 

 

Taqueria Los Mexicanos is fantastic and highly recommended!

 

Sigma and LDSGFaKL don't serve their own food, but Speedo's frequently has pretty good food trucks and pop-ups (Street to Kitchen Thai, Pan de Taco, etc).

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sigma brewing is good beer.

 

moon tower is good beer, but I can see how the food may not be enjoyed. I like my hotdogs where the flavor of the meat is the primary flavor. they add so many toppings on their dogs that you can barely taste the meat for all the relish, and whatnot. it really depends on how you enjoy your dogs. you can always order without the stuff on it you don't want, the meat really is great though, as are the buns. 

 

how to survive on land and sea, I went with my wife while they were doing their soft opening (before lockdown) I was happy to find that they had a few beers in addition to the wine.

 

I dislike 8th wonder for the same reason listed above, way too much hops.

 

edit: guess I pinned Montrose's concerns of Moon Tower on the nose :)

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

SeaSide and Moon Tower are both great, they deserve no slander. Sadly the parking situation on Emancipation is a mess and I refuse to pay $10 for parking to go in and grab a poke bowl, so I go to SeaSide a lot less now. 

 

I thought that the parking lot across the street from SeaSide could be used by their customers? Pretty sure I saw a sign that said that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, wilcal said:

 

I thought that the parking lot across the street from SeaSide could be used by their customers? Pretty sure I saw a sign that said that. 

 

While I haven't been in a few months due to COVID-19, the last time I was there the lot was purely a paid lot with two lunch-time 15 minute spots. This changed after the rules for minimum parking changed, which is theory is great for allowing more businesses to open but in practice kind of stinks in a city that is still so reliant on driving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a restaurant but St. Bernard on Canal has comedy on Fridays and it's both great and horribly cringeworthy all at the same time. They carry classic domestic beers + crafts (salty lady - hello!)

 

Also, Vinny's Pizza is in Eado and owned by agricole hosptiality and both delicious and incredibly fast.

+ Broccoli Salad
+ Pizza with ricotta (too lazy to look up teh name)

+ Also sell some tak & bake coltivare pastas

Edited by ljchou
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕


Honestly it’s not a big loss. I always found it to be dingy, dark, and kind of gross, and the food wasn’t great. Pitch 25 opening was the beginning of the end for Lucky’s.
 

Plus, my credit card got compromised there several years ago. Manager didn’t seem too interested in investigating. So maybe I’m a bit biased against it. Oh well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕

 

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/06/13/bar-customers-a-little-too-close-for-comfort-for-county-city-leaders-in-houston/

 

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-12-20-luckys-pub-lodge-eado-sports-bar-closed-shuttered/

 

Already packing up - a bunch of movers emptying out the club

 

50002206452_78550b9342_k.jpgUntitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕

 

Between this, and the other location at White Oak and Houston Ave. that has flooded multiple times, I'm thinking that in hindsight maybe they should've picked another name.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2020 at 5:35 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

 

Houston looks like a totally different city from that angle. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2020 at 4:32 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Lucky’s Pub is closing 😕

When I drove by today there were workers on the patio of Lucky's Lodge. There was also a plumbing van out front. This is across the street from Lucky's pub. Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but couldn't find a post on Lucky's Lodge. 

Edited by Eastdwntwn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

When I drove by today there were workers on the patio of Lucky's Lodge. There was also a plumbing van out front. This is across the street from Lucky's pub. Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but couldn't find a post on Lucky's Lodge. 

I live near here and they've been working on the old "Lucky's Lodge" now for weeks... not sure if it's gonna be a new bar or restaurant (or both) but something is definitely going there.

Edited by HtownWxBoy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm surprised at the comment regarding Moon Tower Inn. Hot dogs are definitely very good and you can choose your own toppings, let the house choose for you, or no toppings. Burgers are okay, but not that bad, but I wouldn't recommend for their burgers. Tacos were a disappointment. Hot dogs is where is at with Moon Tower Inn. It's too bad they don't have their deviled eggs anymore, those were really good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2021 at 2:48 AM, HtownWxBoy said:

I live near here and they've been working on the old "Lucky's Lodge" now for weeks... not sure if it's gonna be a new bar or restaurant (or both) but something is definitely going there.

I drive by early in the mornings on my way to work - yesterday the interior was light up with lots of blue (maybe neon) lights....definitely seemed to give a bar vibe...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big fan of Moon Tower dogs and I think their burgers are solid.

Roostar was very good! The convenience and quality of it exceeds any slight increase in prices vs other viet food spots around. They also have beer on tap and a other stuff in their fridge if you want, which is pretty cool.

Teapresso bar (coffee/boba tea spot) is opening up a location right next door to Roostar and their sign is up already (but I think they still have a few months before they're ready to open).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 5:45 AM, HoustonMidtown said:

I drive by early in the mornings on my way to work - yesterday the interior was light up with lots of blue (maybe neon) lights....definitely seemed to give a bar vibe...

They are also building booths for sitting on the outside side patio. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, HtownWxBoy said:

They are also building booths for sitting on the outside side patio. 

It's curious that they are doing any renovations at all to the Lucky's Lodge building, considering it is in the path of the I-45 reroute.

I've heard of some land owners throwing up a shoddy building quickly to try to increase value and obtain a larger buyout from whatever governmental entity is exercising eminent domain, but I wouldn't think the ROI on doing a similar thing with renovations would be there. Very odd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they are tenants of that building. maybe they were due for resigning the lease, they were about to exercise the option to walk, and the building owners had to offer some TI to keep them in the space?

I think they're the only tenants in that strip center right now. the pandemic hit that specific lot hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, samagon said:

I think they are tenants of that building. maybe they were due for resigning the lease, they were about to exercise the option to walk, and the building owners had to offer some TI to keep them in the space?

I think they're the only tenants in that strip center right now. the pandemic hit that specific lot hard.

I walked by today and it looks like they are maybe ... key word "maybe" ... working on some of the other spaces in the strip center.  They had the door of 1 other former place open (this is the 2nd or 3rd time I noticed this... I walk by several times a week going to and from downtown) and they had workers going in and out ... not sure exactly what's going on just something I noticed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, samagon said:

I think they are tenants of that building. maybe they were due for resigning the lease, they were about to exercise the option to walk, and the building owners had to offer some TI to keep them in the space?

I think they're the only tenants in that strip center right now. the pandemic hit that specific lot hard.

The timing is still odd. I thought the TXDOT buyouts were already starting along St. Emanuel? For instance, I’ve seen a number of moving trucks at the Lofts at the Ballpark, like tenants in the front building are clearing out.

I wouldn’t think that leases in these buildings (which will be torn down soon) would be renewed, much less with accompanying renovations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/east-downtown-vietnamese-restaurant-cafe-th-16314017

Vietnamese restaurant Cafe TH, a staple of the East Downtown weekday lunch crowd, is closing permanently this week. Its last day of service is Thursday, July 15.

Cafe TH opened in the 1980s, back when the neighborhood was still Chinatown. Current chef and owner Minh Nguyen bought it in 2007.

"Cafe TH has changed my life," said Nguyen in a Facebook post announcing the closure. "I have put forth almost 14 years to make my vision of a Vietnamese cafe come true and it has been the best decision ever."

The cafe landed a spot in the Houston Chronicle's Top 100 restaurants in 2017. At the time, critic Alison Cook called it "a delightful and highly personal source of Vietnamese home cooking."

Cook raved about Cafe TH's xiu mai banh mi and banh bot chien (pan-fried turnip pancake).

Nguyen is selling or giving away everything at the restaurant — first come, first serve before it closes. Supporters of the restaurant over the years also have the opportunity to sign farewell boards.

"We survived through hurricanes, heat waves, power outages, a winter blast, and a pandemic," said Nguyen of the resilience of the restaurant and its team. The post did not mention the reason for the closure.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, 2ndwardOG said:

If you guys want to really eat authentic mexican food do yourself a favor and come down harrisburg past wayside where you will find a abundance of great food. 

any specific locations?

I haven't been in years, but Taqueria El Aragan in the Fiesta Pawn parking lot on Wayside had some of the best street tacos I've had outside of Mexico.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hindesky said:

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/dining/east-downtown-vietnamese-restaurant-cafe-th-16314017

Vietnamese restaurant Cafe TH, a staple of the East Downtown weekday lunch crowd, is closing permanently this week. Its last day of service is Thursday, July 15.

Cafe TH opened in the 1980s, back when the neighborhood was still Chinatown. Current chef and owner Minh Nguyen bought it in 2007.

"Cafe TH has changed my life," said Nguyen in a Facebook post announcing the closure. "I have put forth almost 14 years to make my vision of a Vietnamese cafe come true and it has been the best decision ever."

The cafe landed a spot in the Houston Chronicle's Top 100 restaurants in 2017. At the time, critic Alison Cook called it "a delightful and highly personal source of Vietnamese home cooking."

Cook raved about Cafe TH's xiu mai banh mi and banh bot chien (pan-fried turnip pancake).

Nguyen is selling or giving away everything at the restaurant — first come, first serve before it closes. Supporters of the restaurant over the years also have the opportunity to sign farewell boards.

"We survived through hurricanes, heat waves, power outages, a winter blast, and a pandemic," said Nguyen of the resilience of the restaurant and its team. The post did not mention the reason for the closure.

What?? Noooooo. I really liked this place and Minh was so nice. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More re: Cafe TH. Stopped by today for farewell food. They ran out of food around noon.

Minh seemed to be happy to be leaving their spot (it seems they may have had some issues with building management?). But he seemed confident that he'll open up another concept in the future and like he wanted to stay in the East End community if possible. 

You'll be missed Cafe TH and Minh. We'll be the first in line at your new place! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, HtownWxBoy said:

They are also building booths for sitting on the outside side patio. 

 

Sign is up at the former Eado's / Lucky's Lodge in EaDo.... hopefully that's a temporary sign since it seems like it cost less than $10 to make.  🙄

24.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to East End Restaurants To Try

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...