Restaurants Permanently Closing

Poitin, the Tasting Room, Barry's Pizza, Indika... the list is continuing to grow. Figured I'd create a thread so we can start tracking all the restaurants closing. I worry this is just the start of a large wave of restaurant closures. Hopefully I am wrong.

Not all of the restaurants on your list or below are due to COVID (Indika for instance was closing long before they announced COVID - as is Dolce Vita next door) but here are some more I know of all close to each other:

Treebeards Market Square

Frank's Backyard

Boomtown on Main

Hard Rock Cafe

Right. I didn't mention Covid but since we are happening to see a growing number, I just wanted to track it.

Treebeards hits too close to home. :( I love that place.

Sad about Treebeard's leaving but the rent around there is only mid-high $20's from what I can tell, which is not that high. You're not really a real retail district until you have rents in the $30's, and higher than that for a "hot" area. They were a good tenant in the old dead era of downtown, when the only time to eat was lunchtime. Reminds us of how far we've come and how far we have to go.

9 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

The Redneck Country Club (now Republic Country Club/Republic BBQ announced they didn't survive the 'Rona panic and are shutting down.

Was that announcement made today?

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Anyone know if/when Local Foods Downtown will re-open? The number automatically diverts to the Heights location.

Best guess is that will be related to the return of the Mole People.  They do mostly a lunch business, and downtown is still pretty much left to those who live there (and the few of us for whom it's easier to be distant here than at home.  Don't tell anyone. :ph34r:)

Just now, mollusk said:

Best guess is that will be related to the return of the Mole People.  They do mostly a lunch business, and downtown is still pretty much left to those who live there (and the few of us for whom it's easier to be distant here than at home.  Don't tell anyone. :ph34r:)

Mole people have returned (not all, but enough). Friend sent me a lunch pic from Understory.

Besides, this is a street level restaurant that is open for dinner. 

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Mole people have returned (not all, but enough). Friend sent me a lunch pic from Understory.

Besides, this is a street level restaurant that is open for dinner. 

They haven't been open for dinner in some time.  They used to close at like 8:00 so some would argue they were never really open for dinner.  I never understood those times.

1 hour ago, kbates2 said:

They haven't been open for dinner in some time.  They used to close at like 8:00 so some would argue they were never really open for dinner.  I never understood those times.

I eat dinner 6:30-7:30 during the week lol.

On 6/17/2020 at 10:28 PM, kbates2 said:

Sounds like Petrol Station is done. Phone number disconnected, clearing out equipment.

was a great place. 

I hadn't gone a really long time though.

looks like a few pappas locations are closed for good.

Yia Yia Mary's Mediterranean Kitchen

Pappas Seafood House at I-45 North at Aldine Bender

Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen on Richmond near Kirby

Pappas Shrimp Shack at I-45 and Woodridge

Little Pappas Seafood House on Shepherd and West Alabama

I'm guessing the Yia Yia Mary's location is the one in the Galleria area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Berry Pizza - Richmond Avenue

Liberty Kitchen - San Felipe

Caption Crawfish -Silber

Snap Kitchen - S. Rice Blvd

Snap Kitchen - San Felipe

Smashburger - Main St.

Inferno Pizza - Westcreek

East Hampton Sandwiches - River Oaks District

More to come soon...

Archived