Office & Retail At 2204 Austin St.

phillip_white

I can't find the thread that had renderings and site plan, but the developers are seeking setback and visibility triangle variances. It will go before the Planning Commission on Thursday, 5/28. The location is the Southwest corner of Austin/Webster intersection where Midtown Bail Bonds used to operate.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 10:04 AM, phillip_white said:

I can't find the thread that had renderings and site plan, but the developers are seeking setback and visibility triangle variances. It will go before the Planning Commission on Thursday, 5/28. The location is the Southwest corner of Austin/Webster intersection where Midtown Bail Bonds used to operate.

https://davis-commercial.com/property/lease/2222-Austin-St.html

• Like 4

So many high net-worth docs in Houston beginning to diversify in ways that you don't see docs doing in other medical heavy cities. Part of that may be because Houston's medical market is populated by so many big, heavy hitter docs whereas somewhere like Dallas its much more corporate. 

Really like the vibe of the building. The glassy overhang and the view must be real nice. And its in a part of Midtown that can use the development. Win-win project. 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Mixed-Use Development at Austin & Webster
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Mixed-Use Development At Austin & Webster
  • The title was changed to 2222 Austin St. - Office & Retail
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 12:13 PM, HNathoo said:

Looks like they got their building permit:

Zip Code Permit Date Permit Type Project No Address Comments
77002 2021/03/05 Building Pmt 20007905 2204 AUSTIN ST (EPR) 13,088 SQ FT NEW SHELL BLDG. 1-2-2-SH-B '12 IBC SPK (M/2)

There were surveyors on site this morning. Crushed concrete has been added to the entrance on Austin Street, so it looks like they are expecting some big trucks soon.

• Like 2

I would imagine now that the vaccine is going to be available to all adults starting next week, everyone wants to get their developments going ASAP to be there when the local economy starts to hum again and the general public feels completely safe going back to restaurants, bars, and dentists and other non-ER/important surgery type medical offices.

I know we don't track these types of things here, but there have been quite a few remodeling of smaller office spaces in Midtown into things like pain clinics and mini imagine centers lately. Excited for this, those bars/restaurants will be busy just from the people living on that side of Midtown, saying nothing of all the clients coming through there.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

The city needs to work at cleaning this area up asap. These developments are going to be littered with trash if the homeless issue isn't resolved in this part of town. I'm growing very tired seeing good businesses destroyed. 

I completely agree. This is coming from someone who not only lives in Midtown, but I try my best to bike and walk as many places as possible and that Fannin/Webster breeds dereliction. It's very frustrating because all of these developments will go under if they don't solve that problem first. And not to start a discussion on "where will the homeless go, then?", I just want to add that there is a LOT of drug activity being done out in the OPEN. At first glance they all look homeless, but trust me, 30% are not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, midtowndweller said:

I completely agree. This is coming from someone who not only lives in Midtown, but I try my best to bike and walk as many places as possible and that Fannin/Webster breeds dereliction. It's very frustrating because all of these developments will go under if they don't solve that problem first. And not to start a discussion on "where will the homeless go, then?", I just want to add that there is a LOT of drug activity being done out in the OPEN. At first glance they all look homeless, but trust me, 30% are not.

Oh I see it all the time. Sometimes you'll see one guy who is nicely dressed just working those blocks. And I'm not against someone being homeless, but destroying private property is getting annoying. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 3

There is now a huge hole approx. the size of the building footprint by 6 ft deep. Dump trucks were on site this morning dropping off sand in the hole and leaving with the excavated dirt.

Another interesting nearby observation:
The road crew that is upgrading the intersection at Caroline and Wester uncovered a fully brick-paved road just under the asphalt. I understand they can't change the scope of work to re-install them, but what a bummer that was under there the whole time. One of the workers said they were told to collect all of the unbroken bricks so they could be sent somewhere for preservation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:35 PM, hindesky said:

They say this is 2204 Austin St. I wonder why when most of the building fronts Webster? I guess the entrance will be on Austin.

There used to be two businesses on the property, with both of them having entrances on Austin. Since the structure will be on the corner, I bet they are using the address for the former bail bonds business.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...