HAIF - Houston's original social media

40 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

What areas concerned you? Just curious 

It's not finished yet so it's hard to criticize it just yet, but if they don't clean around those bus bypass areas they will collect debris, mud after a rain.

• Like 2
On 8/27/2020 at 12:11 PM, hindesky said:

It's not finished yet so it's hard to criticize it just yet, but if they don't clean around those bus bypass areas they will collect debris, mud after a rain.

Some of the new ramps aren't draining right - a puddle will form at the bottom of the ramp in the mildest of rains

• Like 1

Some better photos.  Looks like they are raising the level of the bus stop.  Maybe to reduce the step from stop to bus? Or maybe it's an attempt to fix the drainage issues that the Cavalcade stops have

xYomqGt.jpg

TRvhs6W.jpg

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Eastdwntwn said:

So does that mean the buses will just stop in the traffic lane? I was under the impression that the floating bus stops would allow both car traffic and bikes to pass while the bus is picking up and dropping off passengers.  

This street doesn't seem to get heavy traffic, so I'm assuming Metro didn't see an issue if 2 or 3 cars have to wait. They made the same improvements to my part of Cavalcade but there are two lanes both directions. It's a very busy street. 

• Like 3

It's a two lane road; it was never safe for cars to pass the bus while it was stopped on the side, but as the bus pulled off a few feet people would pass it.  Now the bus will stop in the travel lanes, but the stops should be quicker, as there wont be as much steering

• Like 2
2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This street doesn't seem to get heavy traffic, so I'm assuming Metro didn't see an issue if 2 or 3 cars have to wait. They made the same improvements to my part of Cavalcade but there are two lanes both directions. It's a very busy street. 

That is true since the pandemic started. But previously, Polk was pretty busy in the mornings with people using it as a way to get into downtown. 

On 9/4/2020 at 3:38 PM, Eastdwntwn said:

That is true since the pandemic started. But previously, Polk was pretty busy in the mornings with people using it as a way to get into downtown. 

Stopping for the bus occasionally is still faster than having the bus passengers requesting stops/pickups in their own personal cars instead. 

at the risk of ruining my traffic free commute, McKinney is actually faster than Polk for getting into town. you just have to navigate around the pesky GRB.

when I was going into the office... Polk, Scott, McKinney, then get over to Capitol to finish the drive into DT.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Finishing off the last floating bus stops at Cullen in front of the Kroger.

Getting very close to being done! I wonder if they are going to treat the area under the railroad bridge at all. 

bYRwAqw.jpg

• Like 3

I suspect no one has taken the path from UH towards Polk?

I haven't stopped to take pictures because the construction isn't done yet, but there's a small section that just doesn't look right, as far as size goes.

56 minutes ago, samagon said:

I suspect no one has taken the path from UH towards Polk?

I haven't stopped to take pictures because the construction isn't done yet, but there's a small section that just doesn't look right, as far as size goes.

I haven't, but I also don't remember exactly how it's going to work out. 

Isn't the plan for Cullen to be extra wide sidewalks up to I-10? I don't think I've seen the drawings for the whole section.