Polk and Cullen

Not gona lie. When I drove down polk yesterday, I was super pumped to see those armadillos lol

How is the city going to solve the garbage can issue on Monday and Tuesdays? Residents along polk put trashcans right where the bike lane is being placed. On both sides of Polk. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience, the buffered lanes are wide enough that you can go around the cans without getting into the traffic lanes

also recycling has been slow for the past month, so those cans are sitting out longer

3 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Not gona lie. When I drove down polk yesterday, I was super pumped to see those armadillos lol

How is the city going to solve the garbage can issue on Monday and Tuesdays? Residents along polk put trashcans right where the bike lane is being placed. On both sides of Polk. 

the improvements being done now are only being done west of Cullen. the number of homes on Polk west of Cullen are single digits.

yeah, it sucks that Polk goes away. the city spent money building out the path on Polk street in downtown, and now they're spending it on the east end side. only for it to be going away sooner rather than later.

there is the path on the Bastrop street ROW that will get you closer to where the 'cap park' will be, so maybe there will be a safe connection there.

maybe it's because I've been crossing on Rusk for nearly 10 years now, but I definitely feel safer crossing 59 at Rusk on a bike than I do at almost any other intersection, even Polk (with, or without bike lane)

At least the Polk bike lane will be a good connection for East downtown between the bar strip on one end, the houses in the middle, and the Kroger at the other end

Maybe the 45 stuff is why the bike lanes between St. Emanuael and Emancipation are so crappy?  And I agree on Rusk > Polk for crossing the freeway - the pavement under the bridge on Polk is awful

On 8/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, Eastdwntwn said:

Update: looks like some people are trying to keep the bike lanes passable during trash day

s1tEjUS.jpg

40 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

What areas concerned you? Just curious 

It's not finished yet so it's hard to criticize it just yet, but if they don't clean around those bus bypass areas they will collect debris, mud after a rain.

On 8/27/2020 at 12:11 PM, hindesky said:

It's not finished yet so it's hard to criticize it just yet, but if they don't clean around those bus bypass areas they will collect debris, mud after a rain.

Some of the new ramps aren't draining right - a puddle will form at the bottom of the ramp in the mildest of rains

2 minutes ago, Eastdwntwn said:

So does that mean the buses will just stop in the traffic lane? I was under the impression that the floating bus stops would allow both car traffic and bikes to pass while the bus is picking up and dropping off passengers.  

This street doesn't seem to get heavy traffic, so I'm assuming Metro didn't see an issue if 2 or 3 cars have to wait. They made the same improvements to my part of Cavalcade but there are two lanes both directions. It's a very busy street. 

It's a two lane road; it was never safe for cars to pass the bus while it was stopped on the side, but as the bus pulled off a few feet people would pass it.  Now the bus will stop in the travel lanes, but the stops should be quicker, as there wont be as much steering

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This street doesn't seem to get heavy traffic, so I'm assuming Metro didn't see an issue if 2 or 3 cars have to wait. They made the same improvements to my part of Cavalcade but there are two lanes both directions. It's a very busy street. 

That is true since the pandemic started. But previously, Polk was pretty busy in the mornings with people using it as a way to get into downtown. 

On 9/4/2020 at 3:38 PM, Eastdwntwn said:

That is true since the pandemic started. But previously, Polk was pretty busy in the mornings with people using it as a way to get into downtown. 

Stopping for the bus occasionally is still faster than having the bus passengers requesting stops/pickups in their own personal cars instead. 

Archived