Polk and Cullen

so we knew that Polk was getting their bike lane upgraded, I saw they were tossing out barrels on Cullen so I pulled over and asked, they are making a bike lane on Cullen as well. I assume it will connect into what they've recently been doing on Cullen down near MacGregor.

effectively, this should link the trails on Brays Bayou to the bike path on Polk via Cullen.

http://tei-houston.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=0d493ce6ec01481b82cec71bf7f67374

according to that map, Cullen and Polk were part of the short term potential opportunity. guess it became short term implemented.

will be nice if they decide to do the same to Telephone road next!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm all for the configuration, just curious why even change/spend the money on Leeland? It's not a shortcut. Does anyone want to wait 20 minutes on a bike in summer heat for the slow trains to pass? Polk goes under so it makes sense. The money to spend on Leeland should be put to burying Cullen under the tracks. 

I hate to admit it, but I treat the Leeland/Scott intersection as a stop sign. I never wait for a green light, just check to ensure it is safe for me to go. the only time I wait is if there are a lot of cars at the intersection. which isn't often.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:13 AM, samagon said:

I hate to admit it, but I treat the Leeland/Scott intersection as a stop sign. I never wait for a green light, just check to ensure it is safe for me to go. the only time I wait is if there are a lot of cars at the intersection. which isn't often.

pretend I changed my screen name to anon and am wearing a mask over my whole face

yeah, i do that too. The light takes forever and there's rarely any cars on either street

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 11:22 AM, hindesky said:

I just rode on W. Cavalcade's version of this and it sucks. Those bypasses around bus stops collect trash, mud/dirt and are hard to navigate.

I live on Cavalcade and it's not that bad tbh. And they aren't even close to being finished yet. The bypass in front of my complex isn't collecting anything. 

On 7/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, Eastdwntwn said:

I live on Polk and have not seen any workers for a few week between Emancipation and Scott. I assume they are just working on a different portion and will come back and finish what they started. Currently, it is a mess. 

I haven't seen any workers either, though I did see them working between Scott and Cullen, and I noticed some new brick pavers at the floating bus stop at Delano.  I wonder if the high heat would stop work?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, cspwal said:

I haven't seen any workers either, though I did see them working between Scott and Cullen, and I noticed some new brick pavers at the floating bus stop at Delano.  I wonder if the high heat would stop work?

They are back working on Polk. This morning they were working between Delano and Scott. I wish I knew the terminology to describe what they are doing. 

They are ripping up the road to repave it. 

20 hours ago, cspwal said:

Removing the old pavement layer is called "Milling".  Hopefully they can finish it up before the storm tomorrow and be on schedule to pave it next week

The were still working when I got home at 8:00 p.m. last night and were working early this morning. There is a huge crew working on this project, and they are working from Scott to Emancipation. 

Hopefully they get done before the storm rolls in this afternoon. 

Update - they finished paving.  Looks like only one floating bus stop has been done (so far), but the drawings seems to call for the concrete foundation to be on top of the pavement.  Does this seem right?

7 hours ago, cspwal said:

Update - they finished paving.  Looks like only one floating bus stop has been done (so far), but the drawings seems to call for the concrete foundation to be on top of the pavement.  Does this seem right?

I think the entire portion of the floating bus stop is going to be concrete. 

Are they working on the bike lanes on Polk already?

They did all the ramp and curb work a few weeks ago, and just repaved the whole street from Emancipation to Cullen.  I think I'll have to get a picture of the one floating bus stop that is different than the others, but they only have the full concrete foundation for one bus stop as far as I can tell

Polk has frequent service between downtown and Eastwood TC by combining the 40 and 41 along that route.

Cavalcade has the frequent 26 running all the way to Waco - I'm not sure the extent of the bike lanes, but I believe it is all west of there

Lyons Ave only has the 11 route, which is not a frequent route.

What other projects am I forgetting?

It looks like from the plan that most of the lane will have armadillos between the bike lane and the travel lanes; the floating bus stops will have poles at the corners.

And @samagon they are working on an ordinance, but I don't think it's passed yet

https://www.houstontx.gov/ara/Chapter-26-Bike-Lane-Parking-Redline.pdf

Chapter 26, ARTICLE I, Sec. 26-100.

(b) No person shall stop, stand, or park any vehicle upon a bicycle lane. The provision of this subsection shall not apply to on-street bikeways where travel lanes are shared by vehicles and bicyclists and where the City permits on-street parking.

Archived