House Demolitions On Cullen St.

The abandoned boarded up house on Cullen & Dallas behind the abandoned gas station is being torn down (finally).

Also saw some landscapers cleaning up overgrowth on both sides of the Baytown Seafood Market. Wonder if they're priming to sell? Pretty sure we got a letter about a subdivision plat for the larger lot facing Cullen and not McKinney.

Finally, at Cullen & Walker, the house on the west corner was halfway in the street. Are they moving it or repairing the raised foundation?

The house at Cullen and Walker is being moved; there's been a sign in front for the longest time that said "For Sale To Be Moved" and last week there were men on the roof and a truck with a house moving company's name on it (don't remember what the company was called).

19 minutes ago, ljchou said:

@JBTX I noticed there has been some interior work there, too! (2339 commerce) Hopefully something will open there soon.

Yes, I noticed some on my corona-escape walks as well! They have 2 (3?) tenants lined up: Bishop's Cidery (and Bishop's Cidercade), as well as a coworking space.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, samagon said:

the blockage on McKinney is related to a traffic test being done by COH.

way overdue for neighborhood calming effects to be introduced.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Houston-testing-whether-signs-make-East-End-15333585.php

Correct, however, there was a truck and trailer with cones also blocking the entire side of the road to clear out the warehouse lot of foliage. 

12 hours ago, samagon said:

the blockage on McKinney is related to a traffic test being done by COH.

way overdue for neighborhood calming effects to be introduced.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Houston-testing-whether-signs-make-East-End-15333585.php

This whole plan is kind of half baked. They’ve literally just put up construction barricades restricting thru traffic.

What they need to do instead is redo the sidewalks in the area and ramp up parking enforcement on the dedicated bike lanes on Polk a couple of blocks away (along with re-striping the lanes).  

10 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

This whole plan is kind of half baked. They’ve literally just put up construction barricades restricting thru traffic.

What they need to do instead is redo the sidewalks in the area and ramp up parking enforcement on the dedicated bike lanes on Polk a couple of blocks away (along with re-striping the lanes).  

don't see that bike lanes are a thing for parking violations. there is the school zone. it's not allowed when school zones are on.

https://www.houstontx.gov/parking/violationcodes.html

my favorite is being 30' from a stop sign. lots of these violations as well.

I personally think the goal should be slowing down traffic using calming techniques, not stopping it. the road humps that are randomly placed, like was done a few years ago on Telephone between Polk and McKinney are silly and don't do anything to help.

but if they placed these humps at intersections, add poles in the middle of the road to ensure people stay on the correct side, even making them more prominent, that slows people down in the right location. add bulb outs, even choking street size with the bulbs

• The title was changed to House Demolitions On Cullen St.

Archived