Come One, Come All....post Your Idea Of What Would Be The Ideal Nickname For Our City's New Mls Franchise.

Metropolitantexan

Greetings all.....

OK! so lately the Houston Chronicle has been indicating with reckless abandon that the ownership/management shall present us with the very democratic courtesy of allowing the citizens of Houston/Harris County to vote on our city's newest Major League Soccer franchise's permanent nickname.

Well fortunately I have a bit of experience in these community oriented events, for I was extremely instrumental in getting out the vote for the "Texans" nickname contest within the downtown region. Unfortunately, my submission did not win of course......."HOUSTON STEALTH".......for I chose a space theme.

BUT NEVERTHELESS, I'm prepared to head forward into this next venture with equal momentum......

1. HOUSTON METEORITES.

2. HOUSTON ECLIPSE.

3. HOUSTON METEORS.

4. HOUSTON GALACTINS.

5. HOUSTON MOONRAKERS.

.....just to name a few.....so, what do you think? Go ahead, submit your ideas upon a new nickname......don

't be shy.....LET'S DO THIS!

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about something we are well known for:

Houston Fatasses

Houston Hummers (this could have a dual meaning) :P

Houston Highwaymen (more double meanings)

Houston Fighting Fundamentalists

Houston (corporate) Raiders - the return of Enron Field?

Houston Suburbanites (Hey! NY had the Cosmos)

Houston Flatlanders (I heard Mountaineers was taken)

Houston Chokers

Houston Mallers (get it?)

Houston Refiners (Nothin' could be finer...)

And then my favorite:

Houston Bandoleros!

Mexican_Bandito.jpg

Houston Ticks

Houston Bumble Bees

Houston Lady Bugs

Houston Man Bugs

Houston Fire Ants

Houston Wasp(s)

Houston Flood

Houston Smog

Houston Heat

Houston Chokers

Houston Haters

Houston Overeaters

Houston Snakes

Houston Catfish

Houston Oysters

Houston Armadillos

Houston O'posums

Houston Javalinas

Houston Varments

I think we should leave it up to whoever names the tv stations radar systems - they will think of something tough and intimidating.

Edited by arche_757

I REALLY want to see a franchise in Houston with "Houston" on the jersey, unlike the Rockets, Astros, and Texans.

That being said, it'd be kinda cool if the name revolved around Houston, like Houston International, Club Houston (similar to Club Deportivo), simply Houston (like Barcelona), The Houston Ryders, or even the Power of Houston or something...

I'd still vote for just FC Houston or CD Houston. To me names like that just seem kind of low-key, professional, and classy, plus they have the added advantage of not lending themselves to cutesy cartoon mascots.

I think MLS is moving more in that direction, with the new Real Salt Lake, CD Chivas, and FC Dallas. It avoids the goofy-name syndrome (eg Kansas City Wizards, New England Revolution) that make you want to groan.

^_^ Good Point, but I gotta clarify. I mean a professional team with "Houston" on it as the primary jersey

In the "old days", professional teams had the city on the away jerseys to identify where they were from. They had the nickname on the home jerseys, since at home, everyone knows. There has been a trend toward nicknames on home and away jerseys. The Rockets and Texans both do that now. Only the Astros have stayed traditional.

Obviously, with the amount of press pro teams get, they don't need to advertise where they are from. But, as DJ is suggesting, it inspires pride in the home fans to see the city on the jersey. I think this is a bad trend, but also suggestive of the fact that pro organizations have forgotten on which side their bread is buttered.

"IFC Houston"

International Football Club of Houston. Very classy. Most people in the World take soccer too seriously to follow clubs with gimmicky nicknames. We will doom ourselves on the national stage with a name like "Meteors" or "Wildcatters".

I LOVE IT!!! International Football Club of Houston!!

Remember the Super Bowl 2004 Host Comittee logo? ...

2534713_200X150.jpg

Imagine the same colors (blue and gold) the football replaced with a soccer ball, take away the date, and replace the "Host to Super Bowl XXXVIII" with "International Football Club Of", and keep the Houston text AND the skyline on top. It'd be the classiest logo in all MLS!!

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

I like it, but it would beg the question, "So what's 'International' about it?"

From the Wikipedia MLS article, on team name changes:

..the changes have reflected a rejection of flashy, "innovative" Americanized monikers to more traditional soccer names, reflecting an apparent change in marketing strategy.

Soccer clubs more watched more than any other in all sports. That being said, Fifa is planning to start up a second World Cup style tornament in the next few years; this one deciding the best Soccer club on earth. Supposed to be Champions League, but instead of it being on a European scale, it'd be an international global scale. If Houston made it to that scale, I'd say International might be a good way to describe us...

Is there a way these suggestions can be communicated to AEG (the owner)?

Also, while we're picking a name, anyone have any preferences as to team colors, logos, etc.?

Link to current MLS team logos

I think the city council passed an ordinance that each Major League team, has to have wear the color "Red" of some sort in their uniform. :D

OK! Well fortunately I have a bit of experience in these community oriented events, for I was extremely instrumental in getting out the vote for the "Texans" nickname contest within the downtown region. Unfortunately, my submission did not win of course......."HOUSTON STEALTH".......for I chose a space theme.

No offense, but I'm glad your suggestion didn't win. I think those one-word names blow bigtime, kind of like the cute acronyms for our districts. Anyone remember when the Chicago Fire came into being? Me neither, but I think it was '76 or so and WFL but ah could be wrong. They might've been the first or, actually, it might have been Billie Jean King and the Philadelphia Freedom tennis team. To me, no matter how hard someone wishes a team were one unit, they are individuals, and deserve a stand-alone icon they can get behind, but that could just be due to my prior conditioning.

BUT NEVERTHELESS, I'm prepared to head forward into this next venture with equal momentum......

1. HOUSTON METEORITES.

2. HOUSTON ECLIPSE.

3. HOUSTON METEORS.

4. HOUSTON GALACTINS.

5. HOUSTON MOONRAKERS.

Editor, we really need a snore smilie. Again, I'm not meaning to pick on you, Metro, just that names like that speak to the space theme and this team has nothing to do with NASA as 95% of the fans will be latins. Let them pick it, and the team colors, even if they're gaudy.

I have an 11 year old niece that plays soccer in Fairfield. She is such a soccer fanatic. She was so excited that we were going to have a pro team. I asked her what she thought the name should be. She paused for a few seconds and said, "What about just Houstonians?" Her father laughed and smirked at her but I have to admit, it did make me pause. At least there would be no doubt where they were from.

B)

soc

Edited by nmainguy

I LOVE IT!!! International Football Club of Houston!!

Remember the Super Bowl 2004 Host Comittee logo? ...

2534713_200X150.jpg

Imagine the same colors (blue and gold) the football replaced with a soccer ball, take away the date, and replace the "Host to Super Bowl XXXVIII" with "International Football Club Of", and keep the Houston text AND the skyline on top. It'd be the classiest logo in all MLS!!

My suggestion...jersey colors Dark Blue with gold Addias stripes and Houston with that logo lettering on the chest...

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

just that names like that speak to the space theme and this team has nothing to do with NASA .

I don't object to the space theme names but I'm not 100% there with them either. The glory days of the space program took place decades ago, probably before most of the players and fan base were born, and I doubt the space theme is particularly relevant to them. It just doesn't seem a big part of Houston's identity now. That being said, a space theme would "match" the Rockets, Astros, Comets, etc.

The team itself is international with players from Mexico, Canada, El Salvador and Venezuela. Besides LA, we are the closest team to Mexico and the team will want to capitalize on that. Houston is an international city. It just works.

Also, to all the "cute" names thrown around: a portion of the fan base for any soccer club either speaks English as a second language or no English at all. Many cutsie names don't translate well, which is yet another reason to have a basic name like "IFC Houston".

No offense, but I'm glad your suggestion didn't win. I think those one-word names blow bigtime, kind of like the cute acronyms for our districts. Anyone remember when the Chicago Fire came into being? Me neither, but I think it was '76 or so and WFL but ah could be wrong. They might've been the first or, actually, it might have been Billie Jean King and the Philadelphia Freedom tennis team. To me, no matter how hard someone wishes a team were one unit, they are individuals, and deserve a stand-alone icon they can get behind, but that could just be due to my prior conditioning.

Editor, we really need a snore smilie. Again, I'm not meaning to pick on you, Metro, just that names like that speak to the space theme and this team has nothing to do with NASA as 95% of the fans will be latins. Let them pick it, and the team colors, even if they're gaudy.

Greetings Danax...

My oh my great pal, no offense taken. I opened this forum to any and all opinions and certainly yours counts. I am an extremely mature individual, and I can certainly handle any constructive critizism. Critizism that is practical that is........

Don't we live in SPACE CITY? For as long as I have called Houston home for over 26-plus years, this city has been trying it's best to come forth with an identity/image that is indicative upon our region, economy, ethnicity of it's multitudes of diverse citizenry, heat, humidity, and the list just goes on and on. But when all is said and done.......SPACE as well as WESTERN themes always seem to reign supreme......Rockets, Comets, Astros......get the picture.......

Anyone could easily present the argument that the name "EARTHQUAKES" really had nothing to do with San Jose's former team from a personal standpoint. Nevertheless, they were presented with the name EARTHQUAKES which in my opinion would be indicative upon all of the earthquakes that we all know that region within California is famous for.

As an extremely patriotic as well as proud American, I would only leave decisions and choices which in some capacity would affect me personally to the "Latins" only if I was visiting a Latin country, or if the "Latins" were the sources that initiated the situation in the first place. For as an American, I am accustomed to thinking America first......and everything else is respectfully secondary........

Let us not forget Danax, that this team has just left the state of California, from a city with a Spanish name

"San Jose" simply because the economics/finances were very obviously in big time shambles. And I am certain there were many "Latins" in attendance at those games....right!

FORGET GAUDINESS! I initiated this particular topic in hopes that we would be able to present some great ideas between ourselves and come forth with some ideas that we can all be proud of.........

SURELY WE CAN BECOME SUCCESSFUL WITH THIS ENDEAVOR.......only if we care....right.

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

how about space and Latin-

Houston Columbians

ok that was just wrong.

the space race may be over, and the glory days long gone, but there's a new project starting which will bring excitement back to the general public. if this comes to fruition, we'll be heading to the moon and Mars in the next decade, and Houston will be Mission Control.