Your Idea Of What Would Be The Ideal Nickname For Our City's New MLS Franchise

Metropolitantexan

Greetings all.....

OK! so lately the Houston Chronicle has been indicating with reckless abandon that the ownership/management shall present us with the very democratic courtesy of allowing the citizens of Houston/Harris County to vote on our city's newest Major League Soccer franchise's permanent nickname.

Well fortunately I have a bit of experience in these community oriented events, for I was extremely instrumental in getting out the vote for the "Texans" nickname contest within the downtown region. Unfortunately, my submission did not win of course......."HOUSTON STEALTH".......for I chose a space theme.

BUT NEVERTHELESS, I'm prepared to head forward into this next venture with equal momentum......

1. HOUSTON METEORITES.

2. HOUSTON ECLIPSE.

3. HOUSTON METEORS.

4. HOUSTON GALACTINS.

5. HOUSTON MOONRAKERS.

.....just to name a few.....so, what do you think? Go ahead, submit your ideas upon a new nickname......don

't be shy.....LET'S DO THIS!

HOOK'EM HORNS!

Metropolitantexan

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston Horns

Houston Gators

Houston Gar

The Sam Houston

Houston Sams (Club)

Houston Energy (already taken, but still one of my favorites)

Houston Wildcatters (Go Cats!)

Houston Skyline

Houston Sweat

Houston Bayous

Or simply...

Houston United

I like that one.

How about something we are well known for:

Houston Fatasses

Houston Hummers (this could have a dual meaning) :P

Houston Highwaymen (more double meanings)

Houston Fighting Fundamentalists

Houston (corporate) Raiders - the return of Enron Field?

Houston Suburbanites (Hey! NY had the Cosmos)

Houston Flatlanders (I heard Mountaineers was taken)

Houston Chokers

Houston Mallers (get it?)

Houston Refiners (Nothin' could be finer...)

And then my favorite:

Houston Bandoleros!

Mexican_Bandito.jpg

Houston Ticks

Houston Bumble Bees

Houston Lady Bugs

Houston Man Bugs

Houston Fire Ants

Houston Wasp(s)

Houston Flood

Houston Smog

Houston Heat

Houston Chokers

Houston Haters

Houston Overeaters

Houston Snakes

Houston Catfish

Houston Oysters

Houston Armadillos

Houston O'posums

Houston Javalinas

Houston Varments

I think we should leave it up to whoever names the tv stations radar systems - they will think of something tough and intimidating.

I REALLY want to see a franchise in Houston with "Houston" on the jersey, unlike the Rockets, Astros, and Texans.

That being said, it'd be kinda cool if the name revolved around Houston, like Houston International, Club Houston (similar to Club Deportivo), simply Houston (like Barcelona), The Houston Ryders, or even the Power of Houston or something...

I'd still vote for just FC Houston or CD Houston. To me names like that just seem kind of low-key, professional, and classy, plus they have the added advantage of not lending themselves to cutesy cartoon mascots.

I think MLS is moving more in that direction, with the new Real Salt Lake, CD Chivas, and FC Dallas. It avoids the goofy-name syndrome (eg Kansas City Wizards, New England Revolution) that make you want to groan.

^_^ Good Point, but I gotta clarify. I mean a professional team with "Houston" on it as the primary jersey

In the "old days", professional teams had the city on the away jerseys to identify where they were from. They had the nickname on the home jerseys, since at home, everyone knows. There has been a trend toward nicknames on home and away jerseys. The Rockets and Texans both do that now. Only the Astros have stayed traditional.

Obviously, with the amount of press pro teams get, they don't need to advertise where they are from. But, as DJ is suggesting, it inspires pride in the home fans to see the city on the jersey. I think this is a bad trend, but also suggestive of the fact that pro organizations have forgotten on which side their bread is buttered.

"IFC Houston"

International Football Club of Houston. Very classy. Most people in the World take soccer too seriously to follow clubs with gimmicky nicknames. We will doom ourselves on the national stage with a name like "Meteors" or "Wildcatters".

I LOVE IT!!! International Football Club of Houston!!

Remember the Super Bowl 2004 Host Comittee logo? ...

2534713_200X150.jpg

Imagine the same colors (blue and gold) the football replaced with a soccer ball, take away the date, and replace the "Host to Super Bowl XXXVIII" with "International Football Club Of", and keep the Houston text AND the skyline on top. It'd be the classiest logo in all MLS!!

I like it, but it would beg the question, "So what's 'International' about it?"

From the Wikipedia MLS article, on team name changes:

..the changes have reflected a rejection of flashy, "innovative" Americanized monikers to more traditional soccer names, reflecting an apparent change in marketing strategy.

I like it, but it would beg the question, "So what's 'International' about it?"

From the Wikipedia MLS article, on team name changes:

Soccer clubs more watched more than any other in all sports. That being said, Fifa is planning to start up a second World Cup style tornament in the next few years; this one deciding the best Soccer club on earth. Supposed to be Champions League, but instead of it being on a European scale, it'd be an international global scale. If Houston made it to that scale, I'd say International might be a good way to describe us...

Archived