Acme Oyster is Headed to El Real

19 hours ago, hindesky said:

First one shows Jack Roach in 1936 at the current "Adam & Eve", I believe Jack Roach was a car dealership. Does anyone know what that high rise in the background was?

Are you talking about the structure to the left of the photo, behind the Jack Roach Ford sign? If so, I do not think that that is a separate building, but rather part of the roof of the same building. If you go to the current street view from Yoakum, you can see the same basic pedestal there. Not sure what was on top of that pedestal though, as the date of the photo clearly predates A/C or any other similar ventilation systems.  

1 minute ago, thedistrict84 said:

Are you talking about the structure to the left of the photo, behind the Jack Roach Ford sign? If so, I do not think that that is a separate building, but rather part of the roof of the same building. If you go to the current street view from Yoakum, you can see the same basic pedestal there. Not sure what was on top of that pedestal though, as the date of the photo clearly predates A/C or any other similar ventilation systems.  

No, I'm talking about that brick high rise in the background, seems like it might be where the current AT&T building is on Richmond and Graustark but it doesn't seem high enough for that to be it.

oiGRxlD.png

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, hindesky said:

No, I'm talking about that brick high rise in the background, seems like it might be where the current AT&T building is on Richmond and Graustark but it doesn't seem high enough for that to be it.

I think we are talking about the same thing. It is way too narrow to be another building even a few blocks away. I believe it is some sort of mechanical system or ventilation apparatus for the building, I'm just not sure what. With the current iteration of the building, there are rooftop A/C units on the "pedestal" exactly where this structure appears to be. 

ETA: It could be a ventilation shaft, since vehicles were presumably moved around in at least part of the building. 

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I think we are talking about the same thing. It is way too narrow to be another building even a few blocks away. I believe it is some sort of mechanical system or ventilation apparatus for the building, I'm just not sure what. With the current iteration of the building, there are rooftop A/C units on the "pedestal" exactly where this structure appears to be. 

ETA: It could be a ventilation shaft, since vehicles were presumably moved around in at least part of the building. 

Yeah, you might be right. Looking at 2 different pics from different years it got smaller later but I don't think AC existed in 1936 but it might have been some kind of large squirrel cage type of air mover.

30 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Looking at 2 different pics from different years it got smaller later but I don't think AC existed in 1936 but it might have been some kind of large squirrel cage type of air mover.

I don't know whether the Tower Theater was built with air conditioning but it seems very possible that it was. From the KHOU-11 website:

"It wasn't until the 1920s that HOU got A/C as we know it. The first room: the cafeteria at the Rice Hotel, which got air conditioning in 1922. A year later, there was another milestone reached at Second National Bank.

“Most people today will know it as the newly renovated JW Marriott that opened recently,” says Scovil. “That was the first air-conditioned building in Houston.”

Movie theater, such as the Texan and Majestic, were quick to catch on too in 1926."

If theaters already had air conditioning ten years earlier, it seems unlikely that a "modern" 1936 theater would lack it.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I don't know whether the Tower Theater was built with air conditioning but it seems very possible that it was. From the KHOU-11 website:

"It wasn't until the 1920s that HOU got A/C as we know it. The first room: the cafeteria at the Rice Hotel, which got air conditioning in 1922. A year later, there was another milestone reached at Second National Bank.

“Most people today will know it as the newly renovated JW Marriott that opened recently,” says Scovil. “That was the first air-conditioned building in Houston.”

Movie theater, such as the Texan and Majestic, were quick to catch on too in 1926."

If theaters already had air conditioning ten years earlier, it seems unlikely that a "modern" 1936 theater would lack it.

I had no idea that air conditioning dated back to the 1920s. I honestly thought it was introduced sometime in the 1940s or early 1950s. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I had no idea that air conditioning dated back to the 1920s. I honestly thought it was introduced sometime in the 1940s or early 1950s. 

From the Wikipedia article on A/C

"Electricity made development of effective units possible. In 1901 American inventor Willis H. Carrier built what is considered the first modern electrical air conditioning unit"

All hail Willis Carrier!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Ross said:

From the Wikipedia article on A/C

"Electricity made development of effective units possible. In 1901 American inventor Willis H. Carrier built what is considered the first modern electrical air conditioning unit"

All hail Willis Carrier!

I didn't realize Willis Carrier was a New Yorker. I could've sworn he was a Southerner, if not a Texan. 

Who was it that said (paraphrasing) "Texas wasn't truly civilized until air conditioning spread throughout the state"?

41 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

I didn't realize Willis Carrier was a New Yorker. I could've sworn he was a Southerner, if not a Texan. 

Who was it that said (paraphrasing) "Texas wasn't truly civilized until air conditioning spread throughout the state"?

My grandmother...

• Haha 4
On 4/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, thedistrict84 said:

That's true for residential air conditioning. Some very wealthy people may have had it,but it wasn't until the 50's that residential units were mass produced and affordable for the working and middle classes.
I've read that in the 1930's people used to go to air conditioned movie theaters just to escape the heat (and regardless of what was on the screen).

• Like 3
10 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

That's true for residential air conditioning. Some very wealthy people may have had it,but it wasn't until the 50's that residential units were mass produced and affordable for the working and middle classes.
I've read that in the 1930's people used to go to air conditioned movie theaters just to escape the heat (and regardless of what was on the screen).

My Dad and his siblings would talk about going to the movies on Saturday in the 30's, and how it was the only air conditioned space anywhere close to their house. As a kid, I remember visiting there and seeing the fading paint on the side of the building saying something like "cold air inside".

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ross said:

My Dad and his siblings would talk about going to the movies on Saturday in the 30's, and how it was the only air conditioned space anywhere close to their house. As a kid, I remember visiting there and seeing the fading paint on the side of the building saying something like "cold air inside".

metro.jpg

• Like 3