Retail Center At 1111-1201 Westheimer Rd.

hindesky

https://houston.eater.com/2020/5/11/21254974/acme-oyster-house-opening-houston-expansion-new-orleans

Iconic New Orleans Restaurant Acme Oyster House Is Coming to Houston 

It’s headed to the iconic Montrose space formerly occupied by El Real 

by Amy McCarthy  May 11, 2020, 2:05pm CDT

acme_oyster_houston.0.jpg 

And now, finally, for some good news — iconic New Orleans restaurant Acme Oyster House is officially headed to Houston.

Permit applications filed with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission indicate that the restaurant is headed to 1201 Westheimer Road, in the space once occupied by now-shuttered Tex-Mex restaurant El Real. The permit application was filed on April 17, which means that despite the coronavirus chaos, plans are still in motion for the Houston outpost of Acme Oyster House.

“Acme has been very excited about entering the Houston market for a while now,” says Grant Walker, the Lee & Associates broker who repped Acme Oyster House in the deal. “We were looking for the right site to come available, and that happened when Bryan Caswell decided to close down El Real.” 

For the unfamiliar, Acme Oyster House has been a staple in New Orleans since 1910, serving an extensive menu of Cajun and Creole favorites like gumbo, red beans and rice, po’ boys, and of course, oysters. Oysters are shucked to order and served raw, char-grilled, or in a boozy oyster shooter. 

The restaurant has evolved into a chain over the years, and now operates multiple Louisiana outposts and restaurants in Florida and Alabama, but its New Orleans outpost, located in the French Quarter, continues to attract tourists in droves. In the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, the chain has closed some restaurants while offering takeout at others, according to its website. 

No timeline has been set for Acme Oyster House’s debut, largely because of the coronavirus pandemic. “We are still moving forward and very excited to bring Acme to Houston,” Walker says. Stay tuned for more details.

• Like 8

So instead of Westerns, will they be playing reruns of Gilligan's Island? Forest Gump? Sealab 2021?

Jokes aside, I'm very happy to hear that space will be filled, and not just sit there. Better that old building have a new tenant who will care for it than for a great little building like that rot and remain vacant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, the white with the Neon sign...post Covid that place will attract many a drunk customer. But also, will attract the 80% of Houston's population that travels to New Orleans/Louisiana for the food. Acme makes almost too much sense for Houston, and particularly Montrose.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I say it should be changed to “Montrose” and Acme can put their name where El Real is. 

Or "Tower" I believe that was what the old name of the theater. Your proposal would be nice as well.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 11:30 PM, X.R. said:

Wait, so its missing a portion of the tower? Can we start a gofundme to get them to restore that portion? That would look greaaaat.

It would be interesting to know when that portion of The Tower's tower was taken down.
The theater opened February 14, 1936, and according to imdb.com "River Lady" was released in 1948, so it was up for at least 12 years. 
It definitely had been removed by the late 70's - probably earlier. 
I don't know whether it was eliminated to reduce maintenance costs or if it was an attempt to give the building a more 'modern' appearance.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lots of workers onsite lately for the past week or so...! I hope they keep and maybe slightly expand on the upstairs portion...

i also hope they brighten it up by not covering the windows with any dark tint on the front or side of the building.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...