Historic Houston Automobiles

Michelle C

When I was coming up my dad worked for Ford and it seemed that we always had a Ford in our driveway. So it was a natural that my first car would be a Ford. At the tender age of about 16 or 17 I was quick to realize that it was no fun to drive a four door car or any car that looked like your mothers car. As for driving around or cruising as we called it, you had to have something cool to drive. From that time until today I have never owned a boring car. My first car was a 1931 Ford Model A, from there I went to a 1955 Ford convertible. I will post some pictures of my cars as this thread progresses.

It was always cool to go topless.

Another was my 64 Falcon Sprint convertible.

post-11998-0-03540100-1391802909_thumb.j

post-11998-0-86491400-1391803125_thumb.j

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was coming up my dad worked for Ford and it seemed that we always had a Ford in our driveway. So it was a natural that my first car would be a Ford. At the tender age of about 16 or 17 I was quick to realize that it was no fun to drive a four door car or any car that looked like your mothers car. As for driving around or cruising as we called it, you had to have something cool to drive. From that time until today I have never owned a boring car. My first car was a 1931 Ford Model A, from there I went to a 1955 Ford convertible. I will post some pictures of my cars as this thread progresses.

It was always cool to go topless.                    Another was my 64 Falcon Sprint convertible.

I wasn't as forward thinking as you were i never thought to take pictures of my cars. In the summer of 1965 I turned 16, at the time my dad was a part owner of a used car lot so he got me a 1962 VW bug. I had a great summer that summer driving all over Houston. That fall we moved to Tampa, Fa. The following summer we moved back and I traded the bug for a much cooler car my 56 Chevey. 1st thing I did to it was change the ugly huge white walled tires, changed the wheels to a nice set of Mickey Tompson grey aluminm mag wheels, then changed that huge ugly steering wheel to a 12in racing wheel. I don't have any pics of it but did find a close pic on the net.

post-10253-0-69374000-1392083758_thumb.j

My first car was a 1971 BMW 1600 (same body but smaller engine than a 2002). It was four years old and had only 33,000 miles. Most people didn't know what it was. Several of the older ladies in the neighborhood thought it was one of those cute Japanese cars. It was pretty small compared to American cars in the 1970's. It was smaller than a Chevrolet Nova and certainly no larger than a Vega.

The car handled great, was VERY economical, and even had a crank-open sun roof. Unfortunately, it didn't have enough horsepower for this speed crazed teenager. It was replaced by a series of fast but not so economical or even reliable "muscle" cars. If I only knew then what I know now.

My first car was a 1971 BMW 1600 (same body but smaller engine than a 2002). It was four years old and had only 33,000 miles. Most people didn't know what it was. Several of the older ladies in the neighborhood thought it was one of those cute Japanese cars. It was pretty small compared to American cars in the 1970's. It was smaller than a Chevrolet Nova and certainly no larger than a Vega.

The car handled great, was VERY economical, and even had a crank-open sun roof. Unfortunately, it didn't have enough horsepower for this speed crazed teenager. It was replaced by a series of fast but not so economical or even reliable "muscle" cars. If I only knew then what I know now.

There are always remedies for underpowered 1600s or 2002s.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5p3wDg3sdg

Or, alternately for BMW purists, there's a cottage industry out there of folks who've shoehorned latter-day M3 engines into them, resulting in an "M2". 

As far as knowing then what you know now, I have a complete run of Road & Track from 1960-1970, and a substantial chunk of the 1970s issues. Few things bring on the "woulda-coulda-shouldas" faster than perusing the classifieds in some of those issues.

I'll be showing my age for sure but the first car I bought was a 1962 MGA.  That was in 1967 and I had just started working for the railroad, at an impressive raise in pay from what I was making at Gulf Oil downtown.  That car was a money pit.  I never had a car in high school. 

Several years later, a marriage and divorce, I was still working for the railroad and in 1974 I bought a brand new MGB at AutoSports.  I still have that car although my son overhauled it completely and he drives it now.  It's a wonderful vehicle for days like today.  It's the pits for most days in Houston.

There are always remedies for underpowered 1600s or 2002s.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5p3wDg3sdg

Or, alternately for BMW purists, there's a cottage industry out there of folks who've shoehorned latter-day M3 engines into them, resulting in an "M2". 

I saw on Motor Week this morning that BMW will introduce a new model later this year they will call the M2. It is slightly smaller than the current 3 series. Each time BMW announces a new smaller car some of us hope for a modern 2002. The 1 series did not really do that.

I understand the M2 will be priced in the low $40,000 range. I don't know how that compares in modern dollars to the approximate $2,800 for a 1600 back in the day but it is not chump change today. It will either be a bargain for the true BMW aficionado or an expensive commuter car for the poseur.

Five years ago I bought a new MINI Clubman. It, like my 1600 of 35 years before had excellent handling, got fantastic fuel economy, and was a well put together, fun to drive, quality automobile (MINI is owned by BMW). Alas, I kept it for only 10 months before trading it for another car better suited to my "more mature" predilection for comfort and ease of entry and exit.

Besides, I was doing 80% of my driving on Houston freeways and the remainder on nice smooth (not) surface streets like Richmond Avenue and Montrose Blvd. Those two streets and others like them may account for the popularity of huge pickup trucks and SUVs in this area.

Besides, I was doing 80% of my driving on Houston freeways and the remainder on nice smooth (not) surface streets like Richmond Avenue and Montrose Blvd. Those two streets and others like them may account for the popularity of huge pickup trucks and SUVs in this area.

The large tires on pickups and large SUV's make potholes and bumps much less noticeable than the much smaller tires on small cars..

My first car was also a 1959 TR-3, as a Junior at Westchester High. I named her Luseal and had personalized plates with that name. if you owned a TR, you know they leaked like crazy. Luseal was handed down from my sister after she got a new Triumph GT-6+.

I truly loved that car, and since then there's been no other to compare to the fun of driving a TR-3. She spoiled me.

Along the way, a fried wiring harness garaged Luseal at my Dad's house,

College, work, marriage, kids, no room in my garage, etc. she slipped thru my fingers and we had to let her go.

A guy in Pecan Grove took her in, did a body-off restoration, and won some car shows with her.

I haven't seen one on the road in years, but I think, one day, when the kids are out of College, I might go on a quest to find another.

I saw on Motor Week this morning that BMW will introduce a new model later this year they will call the M2. It is slightly smaller than the current 3 series. Each time BMW announces a new smaller car some of us hope for a modern 2002. The 1 series did not really do that.

I understand the M2 will be priced in the low $40,000 range. I don't know how that compares in modern dollars to the approximate $2,800 for a 1600 back in the day but it is not chump change today. It will either be a bargain for the true BMW aficionado or an expensive commuter car for the poseur.

Five years ago I bought a new MINI Clubman. It, like my 1600 of 35 years before had excellent handling, got fantastic fuel economy, and was a well put together, fun to drive, quality automobile (MINI is owned by BMW). Alas, I kept it for only 10 months before trading it for another car better suited to my "more mature" predilection for comfort and ease of entry and exit.

I'd love to see a modern 2002 as well, but I'm not optimistic that it will ever happen. Kind of like how Honda loyalists have pined for years for a modern CRX, only to be rewarded with the anemic CR-Z hybrid. Besides, BMW has done quite well financially after discovering how profitable it can be to market cars to those who view them as lifestyle accessories conferring status, instead of just to discerning gearheads. Remember when Ferraris began to be characterized as "fancy Fiats for the gold-chain set"?

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to scratch the persistent itch for a modern [insert late, lamented sporty car of choice] is simply to buy an original one and restore or resto-mod it. Admittedly, this doesn't always work well if your car of choice is impractical for daily driving, or if you can't abide living without the galaxy of electronic accoutrements that populate new cars. 

Never has a TR-3 but had a boy friend that had one, It was a fun car to say the least.

Another one of my cruisers from the past. 1963 Thunderbird Sport Roadster.

Wow.  I am insanely jealous.  Those early 1960s Thunderbirds have always been favorites of mine.  Once I came close to buying a 1962 convertible but backed out at the last minute.

The early '60s T-Birds were built in the same plant as Lincolns of the era, and shared a lot of parts - including the insanely complex array of limit switches, relays, motors, hydraulic pumping, and miles of wiring that comprised the convertible top system.

The early '60s T-Birds were built in the same plant as Lincolns of the era, and shared a lot of parts - including the insanely complex array of limit switches, relays, motors, hydraulic pumping, and miles of wiring that comprised the convertible top system.

Mollusk, you are absolutely correct. They were made at the Wixom assembly plant in Michigan. I also owned one of the Lincoln convertibles that had the maze of two hydraulic pumps, five electric motors, ten relays and six limit switches. It was a fine car and worked flawlessly most of the time. I have known of other people that did not have as good luck with their cars as we did.

A picture with the deck open. You can see two of the electric motors and wiring attached to the deck lid. My faithful little poodle Roxie that always seemed to find a seat with me where ever I happened to go. A picture made at the old Prince's drive # 10 at 4509 South Main. A good side view of the car with the top up. A picture of the top folded down in the trunk. One of my spouse unloading it from the truck we carried it to car shows in. We were on our way to a National meet of the Lincoln club and left early so we spend some time at Yosemite National Park, we unloaded the car at Fresno and drove it to Yosemite and stayed a week there before loading back up and going to the meet.

post-11998-0-94444900-1393090407_thumb.j

post-11998-0-82729800-1393090408_thumb.j

post-11998-0-55160400-1393090409_thumb.j

post-11998-0-27255000-1393090410_thumb.j

post-11998-0-05515300-1393090411_thumb.j

post-11998-0-02301000-1393090413_thumb.j

post-11998-0-82262100-1393090413_thumb.j

Thank you Mollusk for the kind works. The car is indeed a 67 model. 67 was the last year for the four door convertible. Our car was a low mile (45,000) mile car when we bought it and had less then 50,000 on it when we sold it in 2002. We owned it for about fifteen years.

It's been awhile since I've vistied the forum and this topic caught my eye for a reply.  My first car was a '51 Chevy that I bought in 1953, using as a down payment, money I had saved from summer jobs at City National Bank and Great Southern Life Insurance.  My dad financed the remainder for me.  Being a "cool" teenager at the time, I had to get dual exhausts on it, along with blue dot taillights, chrome wheel rim covers, half-moon chrome headlight covers, and whitewall tires,  I have attached a picture of it. My next car was a '56 Ford Victoria hardtop, purchased used, in late 1956.  It was turquoise and white.  I have no picture of it.

A brief story here of the one I'm most proud of.  In 1999, I was diagnosed with cancer.  I had surgery, but didn't know at the time how much time I had left.  On my bucket list was a car that I had drooled over in the mid-50's....  the Ford Thunderbirds.  So I set out to find a fully restored one, since I didn't want to waste what time I might have left restoring one.  My wife and I drove all over Texas looking for one.  I finally found a beauty.  I drove it everywhere and really enjoyed the looks and nice comments I received about it.  After several years, my cancer was in total remission.  I am a tall person, and my T'bird was getting harder to get under and to the places I needed to get to to keep it in tip-top shape.  It was also not real comfortable to drive.  It was definitely not made for someone well over six feet tall.  It was also becoming expensive and hard to find replacement parts for it, so I decided to sell it.  No problem finding a buyer.

Now you know what's behind my forum name.  I have attached a picture of it also.

post-873-0-74007600-1393260670_thumb.jpg    post-873-0-40644900-1393260703_thumb.jpg

A 63 Plymouth Valiant V200 4 door sedan. It was in pristine condition when my dad bought it for me in 1971. It still had to dealer invoice inside the glove box from the original owner (another plumber) who purchased it new at Willart Motors in League City. It was baby blue and had push button transmission with a 225cid slant six. The car was bullet proof. It always started and was always available even when my buddies' Mustangs and Chargers were broke down or needed something fixed. 

I remember when the Valiant came out, I had to go down to River Oaks Chrysler Plymouth to look them over. It was a car that quickly grew on me although I never owned one.

Time for another picture of one of my boulevard cruisers. 1963 Galaxie 500XL convertible. (I know Galaxie is miss spelled but that is the way Ford spelled it.

post-11998-0-01131500-1393429652_thumb.j

post-11998-0-27016200-1393429653_thumb.j

post-11998-0-85760800-1393429654_thumb.j

A 63 Plymouth Valiant V200 4 door sedan. It was in pristine condition when my dad bought it for me in 1971. It still had to dealer invoice inside the glove box from the original owner (another plumber) who purchased it new at Willart Motors in League City. It was baby blue and had push button transmission with a 225cid slant six. The car was bullet proof. It always started and was always available even when my buddies' Mustangs and Chargers were broke down or needed something fixed. 

Those Mopar sixes were practically indestructible. My first car was a '76 Duster with a six and a four-speed which someone had previously upgraded with a Hurst shifter. I bought it intending to eventually swap out the six for a 340 (or something bigger), but came to appreciate the stone reliability, smoothness, and economy of the six while I had it. Unfortunately, the frame developed a big crack after about a year, and that was the end of the Duster. 

my mom had a 78 Plymouth Volare with a 225 straight six. The base motor itself was excellent, but the pollution controls on the thing were garbage- it was so bad whn the commercials came on with KHAAAAAAN singing Volare, we sang butt****me....... LOL

my first car was a hand me down from my dad, a 67 Dodge Coronet 4 door. It was the first car he ever bought new in 67, when I was 3. I still have the sales receipt from Hedgecoke Motors in Amarillo, TX  :)

we used to pile 10 people into that thing and drive all night. That's when I discovered my first truth in life- the number of friends you have (when you live in the middle of nowhere) is directly proportional to how well your car is running... LOL

My family moved out of Houston in Aug. 1968 to Shreveport, La. (talk about culture shock). In 71 I started watchmaking school in Natchitoches, La. and in 72 got married in 73 moved back to Houston to work for Laufman's Jewelry as their watchmaker in the Long Point & Wirt Rd. store.

By the early 70s white wall tires weren't the ugly huge white walls they once were even so I still wasn't into white wall tires. For some crazy reason that I still don't understand  today white wall tires were cheaper than black walled tires in the 70s. So I would have the white wall mounted on the inside so my cars would end up with the black wall look.

In 75 we bought a 72 Buick Centurion that had a 442 engine in it.
After owning it for about 3 months and several trips to La. to visit my folks I did a mod to the rear shocks. The mod was air shocks on the rear to change the bouncy, soft, dragging feel of the stock shocks. Also it gave the car a sexy, mean look. My ex-wife loved the sleeper aspect of the car, she loved out running Vets on the freeways. That 442 engine was a beast.

post-10253-0-30106800-1393539432_thumb.j

Archived