Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

I know I've been told announcement forthcoming but honestly, IMO I seriously believe the announcement will not come until after 11/18 (After MLS Cup) Timing is the key. This is a new stadium announcement that will create excitement around the franchise, the fans and the city. Why make this announcement during the playoffs, where the excitement this announcement will create would instead be drowned out by the excitement of another title run. An announcement of this magnitude needs to made in the off-season so as to continue the excitement and momentum around the team through the off-season and into the new season.

MLS may want the announcment made during the playoffs or at the final for the benefit of the league, kind of a "hey, look how good the league is doing" type of thing. If they do make the announcment during the off season it would make sense to wait until around February or March, just before the season starts in April, to get some attention then. Announcing it in December or January just means it would be out of everybody's minds when the season starts in April.

Like Houston19514 saide, it seems like they would want to get started building it as soon as possible and not wait an extra few months. Of course, I'm not that familiar with the process so there could still be a few months worth of work that can be done under the radar.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing new, but in case you missed it:

Oct. 26, 2007, 2:11AM

Dynamo stadium deal slowly takes shape

Team, city favor downtown location for site, but loose ends still remain

By BERNARDO FALLAS

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Nearly two years after the Anschutz Entertainment Group relocated its franchise from San Jose, Calif., and renamed it the Dynamo, players are still waiting for the investor-operator to make good on a promise to secure a stadium deal in Houston.

"I don't want to say we're getting antsy, but maybe that's the right word; we'd like to see where we are," said keeper Pat Onstad, whose team takes on Dallas in the first leg of a home-and-home, Western Conference semifinal series Saturday at Pizza Hut Park.

"What we would like to see, now getting a feel for the community, is a stadium downtown," Onstad said. "It's in the best interest of the league and the best interest of the sport."

After months of snail-pace negotiations, it appears a deal is closer than ever to becoming a reality. But not before some more bureaucratic grinding.

Partnership near

Through the Dynamo, AEG is in the advanced stages of negotiating a public-private partnership with the city of Houston that would facilitate the construction of a 22,000-capacity, open-air facility just east of downtown and priced between $70 million to $80 million.

The agreement also would include the construction of a satellite public soccer complex and training facility likely to be located on the city's south side.

bernardo.fallas@chron.com

Edited by Subdude
Copyright restrictions

I don't find an article discussing progress in stadium negotiations disappointing at all. Clearly, both sides made statements suggesting an agreement will be reached. Clearly, both sides want it east of downtown. The fact that it will not be on the Astros parking site is not surprising, nor is it disappointing. It likely only means that Drayton McLane's demands were not acceptable to the City, the Dynamo, or both.

I don't think the opening date of a new stadium has really been delayed either. Realistically, 2010 has always been the season that it would open, unrealistic expectations aside. Oliver Luck and Bill White are not known for their inability to get things done. If they both say it will get done, I expect it will.

I don't find an article discussing progress in stadium negotiations disappointing at all. Clearly, both sides made statements suggesting an agreement will be reached. Clearly, both sides want it east of downtown. The fact that it will not be on the Astros parking site is not surprising, nor is it disappointing. It likely only means that Drayton McLane's demands were not acceptable to the City, the Dynamo, or both.

I am confused... what am I missing? From what I read it appears they still want to build the stadium Downtown or right next to Downtown across 59 from Minute Maid Park (just east of Downtown)... they just have to get through a bit more bureaucratic crap. Is this correct?... or did I miss something? :unsure:

I am confused... what am I missing? From what I read it appears they still want to build the stadium Downtown or right next to Downtown across 59 from Minute Maid Park (just east of Downtown)... they just have to get through a bit more bureaucratic crap. Is this correct?... or did I miss something? :unsure:

From the Houston Chronical....

"The Dynamo first set sights on land owned by the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority just east of Minute Maid Park and U.S. 59, but have since decided against the property, which the Astros lease for stadium parking. "We know for a fact (the property) is no longer being considered," said Sports Authority head Kenny Friedman, who added that the Sports Authority is not actively involved in the negotiations. The team might be looking to purchase private land near the same general area as the county-owned property, although Luck declined to confirm or deny it, saying only that a downtown venue is still planned."

Ok I just read the entire Chronical article... so they aren't going to build in the lot across 59 from MMP, but they want to build in that same area... in the Downtown area... is this correct?

Okay, what is the difference between the two? Is it Colorado's heating field?

I think it's saying we should expect a no frills, boring stadium like the Rapids have, but it won't be as boring and no frills as Pizza Hut Park. Hopefully it's not true or I'm misunderstanding, because I'm hoping for something like DC United is getting.

TAKE THIS FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, but I heard from a reasonably reliable source that the stadium area that is being considered is privately held land south of the MMP parking lot that was previously under consideration. I didn't get exact location, but basically across 59 from GRB.

I gathered that they are in the process of making sure they can acquire all the land they need.

I hope this turns out to be true! Sorry if this is not new news.

I think it's saying we should expect a no frills, boring stadium like the Rapids have, but it won't be as boring and no frills as Pizza Hut Park. Hopefully it's not true or I'm misunderstanding, because I'm hoping for something like DC United is getting.

No kidding. Looks like they threw up some sheet metal on top to make the fans THINK they're gonna get some shade. It probably costs more to build some high school football stadium than it does to build something like that. Ok, not really, but... :blink:

TAKE THIS FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, but I heard from a reasonably reliable source that the stadium area that is being considered is privately held land south of the MMP parking lot that was previously under consideration. I didn't get exact location, but basically across 59 from GRB.

I gathered that they are in the process of making sure they can acquire all the land they need.

I think I know where it might be. There's a stretch where Bastrop Street is missing, and one owner owns the opposing sides of the ROW for about three blocks. I haven't looked recently, but for a long time it was listed with Cushman & Wakefield. It would be the easiest place around which to start land assemblage.

Hopefully you're right, b/c the blog says this: ...are very close to signing a deal for a 22,000-seat facility near downtown Houston and a public soccer complex in the city's south side along the Texas 288 corridor.

By they way, is the game being televised?

Edited by lockmat

I think I know where it might be. There's a stretch where Bastrop Street is missing, and one owner owns the opposing sides of the ROW for about three blocks. I haven't looked recently, but for a long time it was listed with Cushman & Wakefield. It would be the easiest place around which to start land assemblage.
:ph34r:

So now Houston Dynamo have had two straight games of over 30,000. I'm curious if the new stadium will include enough room for temporary seats to allow 30,000+ to show up for games against teams like FC Dallas, LA Galaxy, and Chicago Fire.

An easy solution is to have a permanent stadium structure that holds 23,000 to 25,000 and than offer a grassy berm behind one of the goals that can be open to sit on/picnic/etc...

My two favorite examples are Wake Forest University's football stadium seen here;

GSS_001_DH_L.jpg

and SMU's Ford Field in University Park.

An easy solution is to have a permanent stadium structure that holds 23,000 to 25,000 and than offer a grassy berm behind one of the goals that can be open to sit on/picnic/etc...

My two favorite examples are Wake Forest University's football stadium seen here;

GSS_001_DH_L.jpg

Heh, I grew up less than 3 miles from this stadium, then known as Groves Stadium. When I was 13 years old, my Pee Wee football team went undefeated and played in the Sertoma Bowl here, against a team from Minorcas Creek, PA, whose roster included Joe Namath's nephew at running back. On the opening drive, I clothselined Bobby Namath for a loss, and we went on to win 28-6. My greatest football moment. :lol:

I could see that. I just wish it had greater visibility from downtown. I could imagine a lot of people would be scared to cross 59 to go over there. It's dumb, but you know how people get.

There is one particular spot along the 59-elevated, I think it is at Franklin, that is kinda creepy to go under. If anyone has been there you know what I mean. It's the same similar feeling I get when going under the pierce elevated comming from the Metro Transit Center to the Greyhound Terminal. It's like a scene out of "night of the living dead" - interesting characters limping towards you asking for things, talking to me with Excuse me Sir, and Excuse me what time is it ?, which is always followed by a request for financial aid, and then following you into the terminal. Then when you get to the terminal, you are treated to another cool feeling just like that one. I have to admit though, part of me kinda likes the adrenalin of being in the bowels of this sort of thing.