Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

I suppose you also probably do not know about the light rail line that will run through the area, connecting Second Ward and Third Ward to downtown. Just think of all the brown people! They will no doubt inundate your neighborhood with poverty, crime, and other such terrible things that are intuitively correlated with melanin.

You should sell your home immediately and move to an insulated suburban enclave (or West U or Bellaire). I'm positive that you will find many like-minded NIMBY friends there. And then you will never have to worry about the dynamism of a growing city ever again.

Wow. What an incredibly rude response. I have no issues with any color person in our neighborhood and I think that the light rail is great idea. Houston would benefit from more mass transit.

You must be a raging bigot, or am I making assumptions? You're definitely a jack @ss. We bought the house in the area we did because we like the area and hope to help this area grow.

I just think there are other ways to promote growth than building a stadium in an area that's trying to become it's own community.

Wow. What an incredibly rude response. I have no issues with any color person in our neighborhood and I think that the light rail is great idea. Houston would benefit from more mass transit.

You must be a raging bigot, or am I making assumptions? You're definitely a jack @ss. We bought the house in the area we did because we like the area and hope to help this area grow.

I just think there are other ways to promote growth than building a stadium in an area that's trying to become it's own community.

Oh, don't mind him...

I don't get it though. You're just blocks from Minute Maid and GRB. What difference will having another venue make? I would think it would make the area more vibrant (ex. Wrigley Field) and probably increase your land value; providing that parking and transportation solutions are covered.

Entitled NIMBYs that failed to do their due diligence before buying a home and that subsequently whine about their situation as though they're a victim really set me off.

You're definitely a jack @ss.

Pot, meet kettle.

I suppose you also probably do not know about the light rail line that will run through the area, connecting Second Ward and Third Ward to downtown. Just think of all the brown people! They will no doubt inundate your neighborhood with poverty, crime, and other such terrible things that are intuitively correlated with melanin.

You should sell your home immediately and move to an insulated suburban enclave (or West U or Bellaire). I'm positive that you will find many like-minded NIMBY friends there. And then you will never have to worry about the dynamism of a growing city ever again.

Wow!, Where did this come from? This was way out of line and uncalled for. Did Ducky mention race, or did I miss something?

Welcome to the HAIF board Ducky. Sorry about the locals.

They may have been ignorant about some things going on in the neighborhhod but that doesn't make them racist or even NIMBY people. Ease up

Edited by westguy76

I'm terribly sorry that you did not know that the City and the Dynamo had been discussing a stadium at this location for nearly two years.

Thanks. Our own fault.

Do you by any chance know where we can find out details on what they're going to build (plans, infrastructure, etc) so we can see how they're going to fit a stadium in the space the city bought?

Wow!, Where did this come from? This was way out of line and uncalled for. Did Ducky mention race, or did I miss something?

They may have been ignorant about some things going on in the neighborhhod but that doesn't make them racist or even NIMBY people. Ease up

Thank you. I am not against the stadium. I am just concerned on how they are going to plan it out considering it is as close as it is to home complexes. It is parking I'm curious about. That area is overflow parking for the Astros during their games. If you know of a source to find details on what they're building it would be greatly appreciated.

I also apologize about the shout back at TheNiche. I should know better than to get mad at trolls.

Edited by Ducky

I never called anyone a racist or meant to imply it.

We bought a house at the beginning of the year right next to the proposed stadium site. We weren't given any indication about the stadium going in when we bought and did a search but didn't know that would be something to look for in the surrounding area. Our complex and a few others are not thrilled that they're building there - where are fans going to park? This stadium site is poorly planned!

But for those of you who are curious - they've posted TCEQ permit signs that read 'proposed dynamo stadium' and will be tearing down two warehouses soon.

Our small neighborhood does not want this stadium there!

Welcome to HAIF. I actually have quite a few friends that either live in that area, and others that own nightclubs or property there. The people I know there are quite supportive of a stadium in the area because they expect property value to go up, as well as expect road, infrastructure, and other development spurts in the immediate area. That being said, there are both positive and negative opinions on the issue from residents in the area.

I am not against the stadium. I am just concerned on how they are going to plan it out considering it is as close as it is to home complexes. It is parking I'm curious about. That area is overflow parking for the Astros during their games. If you know of a source to find details on what they're building it would be greatly appreciated

There's nothing official yet because talks are still ongoing. That being said, I do believe the current plans include turning the Astros parking lot on the Dynamo-Stadium side of the freeway into the Dynamo parking lot. I also believe that the rail plans in the area would have the stadium in consideration, so not all fans would have to directly park in the area on game day. My guess is that shortly after the stadium deal were announced, they'd release the renderings and the City would talk to residents about logistics and parking (at least that's from what I understood from some past news reports).

I would also point out the proposed Dynamo Stadium will be approximately half the size of Minute Maid Park in terms of capacity so the parking demands would be much smaller. The light rail should also help with that. Plus, the Astros play 81 home games while the Dynamo play about 20. The Dynamo home games are mostly on the weekend in contrast to the Astros who play throughout the week. There would be other events at the Dynamo Stadium if it is built but the impact on the area should be much, much less than that Astros.

Thanks. Our own fault.

Do you by any chance know where we can find out details on what they're going to build (plans, infrastructure, etc) so we can see how they're going to fit a stadium in the space the city bought?

Thank you. I am not against the stadium. I am just concerned on how they are going to plan it out considering it is as close as it is to home complexes. It is parking I'm curious about. That area is overflow parking for the Astros during their games. If you know of a source to find details on what they're building it would be greatly appreciated.

I also apologize about the shout back at TheNiche. I should know better than to get mad at trolls.

I'm confused. First you pronounce that the "stadium site is poorly planned", implying you know the plans; then you ask if anyone knows anything about the plans.

I would also point out the proposed Dynamo Stadium will be approximately half the size of Minute Maid Park in terms of capacity so the parking demands would be much smaller. The light rail should also help with that. Plus, the Astros play 81 home games while the Dynamo play about 20. The Dynamo home games are mostly on the weekend in contrast to the Astros who play throughout the week. There would be other events at the Dynamo Stadium if it is built but the impact on the area should be much, much less than that Astros.

Their games don't start until 9:00 or 9:30 PM!!

All the more reason to remodel Robertson. I think it should be a smaller version of the Westfalenstadion. (Or even the same size, if the Cougars really think they can bring in that many fans.)

great idea. doesn't seem like one they're willing to consider though, for whatever reason.

I haven't heard much about the downtown plan lately. I wonder if it has something to do with the economy. If that's the case and the Dynamo move, where will they go? What municipality can afford a new stadium at this point in time?

Edited by N Judah

Their games don't start until 9:00 or 9:30 PM!!

That's a slight exaggeration. Most Dynamo home games start at around 7:30 on Saturday or in the afternoon on Sunday. The Dynamo have had a few mid-week games scheduled to start at 9 pm this year but that's not the Dynamo's fault. It's just one more reason why Robertson is not good for the Dynamo. The U of H forces those late game starts for mid-week games because they claim all the parking at Robertson is needed for students.

If the Dynamo control their own venue they wouldn't have to have those late starts on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

Which is why the Dynamo, who are offering to put up almost all the money for a new stadium, would not want to put that money into Robertson. The Dynamo would not control revenue or scheduling. They would remain at the mercy of the U of H.

Dynamo Stadium is a stupid move by the city. To start off they paid nearly $50 a foot for property that would probably not sell for $25 per foot today. They paid that price not knowing if they were going to get a stadium deal done or not. It was never discussed in the community either. It was Mayor White's baby, and if he wants something done or not done then he makes it happen no matter what the rules or consequences. This guy is a bully.

Dynamo Stadium is a stupid move by the city. To start off they paid nearly $50 a foot for property that would probably not sell for $25 per foot today. They paid that price not knowing if they were going to get a stadium deal done or not. It was never discussed in the community either. It was Mayor White's baby, and if he wants something done or not done then he makes it happen no matter what the rules or consequences. This guy is a bully.

There was public discussion of the city buying the land. They had at least two city council meeting where it was discussed before the city voted to buy the land. There were speakers both for and against the city buying the land. I know, I watched the city council meetings online.

I missed those meetings. Still, there was no way the city was not going to buy the property no matter what any opposition said. Even Bill White said that the city would buy the land and figure something out if the stadium deal could not get done. It was stupid and they paid too much for the land.

I heard a little snipet on the radio of who I believe was Oliver Luck(Dynamo Gm or President?) saying that the stadium was not looking good at the time.

Nice job Bill White, pay double for some land and have no use for it! Kind of pisses me off like when I drive by a stranded car on the road while driving 60mph and seeing the driver waiting for the free tow off the side of the road because it slows traffic so much.

Edited by jscarbor

UH is planning a new end zone facility for the North end zone after this year. It will add a few more seats but really be an upgrade to the stadium because it will include luxury suites, a club room, new locker room facilities, team meeting space, classroom space, and a Cougar Hall of Fame. Construction is due to start at the end of this football season.

After that, look for an effort to either renovate/rebuild the press box side of the stadium. Due to ADA regulations, it might be cheaper to just rebuild that one structure. If they choose rebuilding, look for a 15,000 seat structure (an addition of about 4,000 seats) with a multi-level press box that will include a press box level, luxury suite levels, and a few more bells and whistles. If they choose to renovate, look for the current "luxury boxes" to be removed as well as the current press box and then replaced by a new multi-level box that doesn't actually rest on top of the existing structure as a way to avoid costly ADA rules.

So what exactly is the hold up on this stadium? From todays chronicle article it seems like the Dynamo are 10million dollars short. Reletivly speaking 10million dollars seems like a small amount to kill a deal this big. Or am I missing something?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6097170.html

$10 mil. is plenty enough to kill a deal of this size.

Make it so that your equity partners cover a huge chunk of your equity and don't demand any returns. (I wish I could do that.) Then borrow as much as you possibly can, essentially levering yourself up (cash-on-cash) by some ridiculous amount, and you're set. If the equity partners balk...no big deal. Pearland or Sugar Land will meet your terms, no problem.

An important update (not affiliated with this group but support idea):

PLEASE READ THIS VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO THE END AND RESPOND! THIS IS OF PRIME IMPORTANCE TO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN THE EAST END!

The final funding for the Houston Dynamo stadium to be built east of downtown surrounding the intersections of Dowling and Rusk depends on Harris County Commissioners voting to participate in TIRZ 15. (Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone) The proposal is that the first $10 million of additional economic dollars generated by the stadium for Harris County taxes would be invested in the stadium. After that all the tax dollars generated for the County by the new development would remain with Harris County.

Harris County Commissioners want public support to encourage them to vote to participate in the TIRZ. (The County is presently participating in six TIRZ so this is not a unique request.) The negotiations to build the Dynamo stadium have been ongoing since January, 2007, and if WE DO NOT HAVE THIS FINAL FINANCIAL INCENTIVE APPROVED BY DECEMBER 31st, the Dynamo will be forced to consider alternatives offer outside of the city!

A Press Conference to show the County Commissioners that the public supports their participation in the TIRZ will be held THIS THURSDAY, November 13th from 10 - 10:30 AM on the stadium site at the corner of Dowling and Rusk Streets. PLEASE attend this short but VERY important conference and please encourage EVERYONE from your business or neighborhood to attend! WE NEED TO PACK the city block so we can make the County Commissioners comfortable to vote FOR the TIRZ! I cannot stress the importance of numbers at this event enough--PLEASE help us!!!

ALSO, we have a petition online that we ask you and ALL your staff, friends and neighbors to sign. Just click the link below and fill in the short form. It will take only a minute and it will directly impact the future of the East End!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/k...amoinhouston?e

PLEASE pass this note on to your mailing lists, and everyone you know and ask them to sign the petition and attend the press conference!

Help us give the County Commissioners the support they need to give us the stadium we need! Thank you--YOU ARE A TRUE EAST END FRIEND!