Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Its almost August and I hope they announce it will be a Downtown location. With the way the Dynamo are playing and after watching the rematch of the Mls Cup, a strong centralized new stadium location is sounding awesome for fans .

• 4 weeks later...
Good game again against Puchua, heart breaker on penalty kicks. It show the gap between Mexican leagues and the US leagues are closing fast. GO DYNAMO

I went to that game too. It was real exciting. We will definitely go to another.

After going to my first Dynamo game at Robertson, I cannot wait until there is a new stadium. Parking at U of H was a nightmare--thank god for peddy cabs. Sorry Cougar fans but Robertson Stadium is a dump and the concessions there were awful. I waited in line for beer for like 15 minutes before I spotted a vendor carrying a cooler. The Dynamo need a new home pronto.

Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement concerning the stadium?

A 15 minute wait for a beer vendor at Robertson sure as hell beats NO BEER SALES at most other college venues.

BTW, I'd blame the Dyanamos for lack of staffing on the wait. I've been to Robertson when it had 31,000 in the stands and have never waited more than 5 minutes for a beer. The key is to hit the endzone pavilions with the red roofs. They keep the beers flowing...

After going to my first Dynamo game at Robertson, I cannot wait until there is a new stadium. Parking at U of H was a nightmare--thank god for peddy cabs. Sorry Cougar fans but Robertson Stadium is a dump and the concessions there were awful. I waited in line for beer for like 15 minutes before I spotted a vendor carrying a cooler. The Dynamo need a new home pronto.

Personally I love Cougar Football at Robertson Stadium...it's a huge improvement over playing our games in the Astrodome. Sightlines are better, you're close to the action.

Parking is no better or worse than parking at the Dome, or Reliant, or Minute Maid really. My crew tailgates for UH games near the corner of Cullen and Elgin, and it's no more than a 10- to 15-minute walk to the stadium. My parents parking at Reliant is much worse. Besides, after 3 hours of beer and BBQ, we all need the walk!

I suppose that the "guts" of Robertson are not very pretty, but up in the stands, it's a great place to see a game.

I don't buy concessions at the game (and haven't bought a beer since they went up to $7), so all I really need at the game is a bathroom. I don't need luxury...just a urinal, so Robertson works very well for me.

The tailgating and views at Robertson more than makes up for the "glitz" of Reliant or the Astrodome.

Why can't the dome be used as a soccer stadium? No rain or heat and the roof could be painted like a soccer ball. All we need is David Beckham and we might be able to fill it up, considering the 66,000+ fans that came to the Red Bulls/Galaxy game.

Renovating the Dome would probably cost much, much more than building a simple soccer specific stadium would. A huge stadium like the dome also costs money to ramp up for an event, so the team probably wouldnt make money on it with an MLS sized gate.

What is your point? I** don't like soccer. I didn't say everybody in The Woodlands didn't. My friends don't like soccer. They don't live in The Woodlands. Again...what part of my opinion did you not understand?? You guys are kidding yourself if you think that soccer is popular or will ever be popular in America. Period...the end. On a side note, the girl is hot!

wow.

just to let you know, you've come off sounding like an idiot in several posts in this thread.

wow.

just to let you know, you've come off sounding like an idiot in several posts in this thread.

If that's your first discovery, you need to look harder. :) There are plenty of posts (including a couple of mine) that might qualify.

Chris Canetti (Dynamo FO) at the Soccer 101 event a few nights back, said that the Dynamo are still negotiating with the city for the site near MMP. He said that they're hoping to make an announcement in a couple of months (date keeps on being pushed back/ look for news around Sept. 15th) and the Dynamo will play their first game in their new stadium in April 2010. I also heard a rumor that Drayton wants his parking garage built/started before the season ticket lots are torn up for the stadium.

Drayton should worry more about what is going on INSIDE Minute Maid than outside.

that is true. seems wayne dolcefino's story this week on the city/county sports authority is raising a few eye brows. the stros and the texans want some maintenance/upgrades to the stadiums and want the sports authority to pay for them but their contracts require that they do it. seems the toyota center parking garage is losing money each month. seems money is already being spent on the proposed dynamo stadium yet it hasn't been approved by voters. looks like the county commissioners will seriously be addressing the sports authority, its hiring practices, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Rumor has it that the downtown stadium is a done deal and an announcement is forthcoming.... can someone confirm this?

Im absolutely giddy with excitement if this is true...*crosses fingers*

I was told the same thing yesterday from someone who does some work with the Dynamo. I was told look for an announcement during the playoffs or in the off-season. The off-season is short for soccer, so an announcement will help keep team/fan excitement up untill next season.

I was told the same thing yesterday from someone who does some work with the Dynamo. I was told look for an announcement during the playoffs or in the off-season. The off-season is short for soccer, so an announcement will help keep team/fan excitement up untill next season.

I also have heard these rumblings.

, when is the off-season and when are the playoffs?

Playoffs begin 10/27

MLS Cup (Championship Game for those who dont follow) is 11/18.

I know I've been told announcement forthcoming but honestly, IMO I seriously believe the announcement will not come until after 11/18 (After MLS Cup) Timing is the key. This is a new stadium announcement that will create excitement around the franchise, the fans and the city. Why make this announcement during the playoffs, where the excitement this announcement will create would instead be drowned out by the excitement of another title run. An announcement of this magnitude needs to made in the off-season so as to continue the excitement and momentum around the team through the off-season and into the new season.

And lastly, a downtown pitch for the Dynamo huge news-worthy item in this city, which has been actively trying to improve its downtown core in many ways for the last decade. If the Front Office is smart, they make the announcement in the off-season to put some media attention on the team during the off-season, when the team is not in action on the pitch. Because face it....the only time this team get any face time with the local media nowadays is when there is a match played. And even in those instances, the Dynamo receives very little face time compared to what the Texans, Astros, and Rockets get.

So my thinking is the Front Office capitalize's on this opportunity and makes the official announcement in the off-season .... and of course like always, someone here at HAIF will blow the lid off the secret before the Dynamo even get the chance to make the annoucnement. The looming question now stands to be which HAIFer scoops the story?????

Playoffs begin 10/27

MLS Cup (Championship Game for those who dont follow) is 11/18.

I know I've been told announcement forthcoming but honestly, IMO I seriously believe the announcement will not come until after 11/18 (After MLS Cup) Timing is the key. This is a new stadium announcement that will create excitement around the franchise, the fans and the city. Why make this announcement during the playoffs, where the excitement this announcement will create would instead be drowned out by the excitement of another title run. An announcement of this magnitude needs to made in the off-season so as to continue the excitement and momentum around the team through the off-season and into the new season.

And lastly, a downtown pitch for the Dynamo huge news-worthy item in this city, which has been actively trying to improve its downtown core in many ways for the last decade. If the Front Office is smart, they make the announcement in the off-season to put some media attention on the team during the off-season, when the team is not in action on the pitch. Because face it....the only time this team get any face time with the local media nowadays is when there is a match played. And even in those instances, the Dynamo receives very little face time compared to what the Texans, Astros, and Rockets get.

So my thinking is the Front Office capitalize's on this opportunity and makes the official announcement in the off-season .... and of course like always, someone here at HAIF will blow the lid off the secret before the Dynamo even get the chance to make the annoucnement. The looming question now stands to be which HAIFer scoops the story?????

That all makes a lot of sense. BUT, don't they need to get working on building the thing REAL soon if they are to have it ready for play by the time they need it?