Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

I hope it's not a retractable roof...which I don't see as being financially reasonable for a soccer stadium in America. I want to go to some sporting events with rain...soccer is much more fun in the rain.

bingo...soccer, like football, should always be played outside no matter what type of weather....unless there is lightning

At the proposed location wouldn't the primary view be Minute Maid Park?

***NOT A SERIOUS PROPOSAL***

There are several very large contiguous parcels along I-45 at Cullen and Lockwood that would seem very well-suited for a stadium. Excellent skyline views, excellent visibility, excellent access (better than even Minutemaid, much less the opposite side of 59), right near the Eastwood Transit Center and probably the terminus for the Universities Line, and just a hop skip and a jump from where they're playing now.

***NOT A SERIOUS PROPOSAL***

The roofs installed over MMP and Reliant each added approximately $50 million dollars to the cost of the stadium, in addition to the air conditioning that is required. I agree that soccer should be outdoors. I also have stated previously that there are numerous non-AC techniques that can be employed to make an outdoor venue feel more comfortable, such as shading, fans and possibly misters. I would hope that the Dynamo explore these options. Rather than another already overdone and power-hungry technology like a retractable roof, I'd like to see a state of the art NATURAL AIR stadium.

US 59 is only a 15 to 20 foot tall structure. It will not block any views. Depending on the orientation of the stadium, the stands will rise higher than the freeway overpass. As for downtown views, a quick look at Google Maps reveals that the views south of MMP will be great. Only the courthouse district would be blocked. Many on this forum would consider that a bonus.

Honestly...***JUST MY OPINION***, I think that building a soccer stadium in Houston or anywhere in America for that matter is a HUGE waste of money. I don't like soccer. My friends don't like soccer. My family does not like soccer. I have a feeling that there are many others out there who feel the same way. I don't intend to cause contraversy on here, but that's just the way I feel. Half the people I talk to didn't even know we had a soccer team. And the name Dynamo...can't they have come up with something a little better than that? I mean for having almost all our sports teams with a space theme, except for the Texans (another bad name), you'd think they'd follow in the footsteps.

It's odd how soccer can get under your skin if you give it a chance. I had absolutely no interest in soccer until I started watching the Dynamo last year because nothing else was on t.v. I tuned in and thought I would watch for a few minutes just to see what the big deal was. At first I thought it was boring. The teams would get close to scoring and build excitement and then they would just miss the goal. I thought - God, how long can this go on! - Nothing's happening except a bunch of men running around in circles. Then finally, the Dynamo scored and the crowd went nuts.

So I watched a little longer and slowly started to realize that the excitement of soccer is the all wrapped up in the anticipation of scoring. The longer you have to wait, the more your nerves are on edge, the more exciting it is when a team scores. Sort of like waiting for a cool project to break ground in Houston - years after the announcement was made.

So now I watch whenever I get the chance. And evidently the 20,000 people that fill the stands must get a kick out of it. I hear soccer is doing well in Houston.

Build the downtown stadium! It will be the classiest one in the MLS and give Houstonians another reason to be proud of their city and of their downtown.

There is a certain mentality to watching soccer. I did not really care for it or about it until the last World Cup. Of course, I turned on the TV to see the US, but they stunk up the place. However, I kept watching for the other teams, and more specifically, their fans. After that, I started watching the Dynamo. If you watch enough, you will figure out what they are doing, and it becomes much more enjoyable. It isn't for everyone, but the Dynamo are the only winning team in Houston right now, so I'm watching.

A little trivia about Houston's sports teams. Not ONE of them was named for the Space Program. The Houston Rockets originated as the San Diego Rockets. When the team moved to Houston in the early 70s, the name was a natural, so they kept it. Also, back then, the teams did not change names when they moved. That is why you have the LA Lakers (formerly Minneapolis) and Utah Jazz (New Orleans).

The Houston Astros were originally the Colt 45s. Colt did not like the team using its name, and they were moving into their new home, so they took the name of the Astrodome and shortened it. The Dome is named for the space program, but not the Astros.

The Texans was, is, and always will be stupid. Nuff said. The Oilers, however, was a great name, and not space related.

The Dynamo is a consolation name, after 1836 was retired. It represents power and electricity. There are several European teams that have used the name, so it has a soccer history. However, it is also a nod to one of Houston's first soccer clubs, the Houston Dynamos of the old USL.

*Edited to correct name of USL.

Edited by RedScare

I thought Houston's USFL team was called "The Houston Gamblers". A silly name based on some Kenny Rodgers song called the Gambler. I thought I remembered hearing that Kenny Rodgers was the owner, but it was so long ago it's all just a blur now.

I hated the name Texans when I first heard it. I wanted them to name the new NFL team the Apollos and wrote posts in every chat room I could find on the internet to try to convince people that the name Texans was a stupid , and unoriginal name for a football team.

Right around the time the name was made official (I can't remember if it was before or after) I saw a documentary on the History Channel about the cowboys from Texas in the 1800's that would head the cattle drives from Texas to the railroads in Dodge City, Kansas where the cattle was then shipped to the east via railroad. ANYWAY, these rough house cowboys would come into the town every year and tear up the entire town (booze, prostitution, gambling, shooting people who looked at them crooked, ect.) The town put up with it to some extent because these cowboys spent a lot of money and drove the economy.

So what you say? Well, these special cowboys with the bad ass reputation were known as "The Texans" to the locals. "Oh $hoot, the Texans are coming to town, hide the children!" The Texans were feared and welcomed at the same time.

So after that I didn't hate the name "Texans" anymore. Plus now that I have had a few years to live with it, the name Texans probably sounds tougher than Apollos, and in football thats an asset. Of course, unless you know the minute details about your American history or watch too much t.v., you would just think that the football team from Houston just couldn't think of an original name. But everytime I think of the name Texans, I think of cowboys - only meaner, rougher, and wilder than your regular everyday cowboy. Now, if they'd only play that way. :)

I still don't know what to think about the name "Dynamo". I mean, it sounds a little silly, yet it does bring up imagery of power and excitement, which is something I think is appropriate for the city of Houston. I keep thinking the name will grow on me like the Texans did. Or like soap scum grows on my shower door - it's not so bad once you get used to it.

Edited by danax

The thing is that it does take a bit to appreciate the game, I watch it occasionally. My girlfriend loves it because they're a bunch of hot looking guys wearing shorts. Go fig.

I did notice that while they were playing in Kansas City (in Arrowhead stadium) the crowds SEEMED like they were pretty small. I kinda' wonder what it's like around the rest of the nation as far as attendance goes.

Here's a pic of the stadium in Toronto last week. It's also in close proximity to their downtown skyline. Looks really cool :)

PD4j9L8j.jpg

I just dont want to build a stadium like this! Texas has Highschool football stadiums that look better than this.We have one of those stadiums that look better than this! If it is for Highschool football it will be Great but its not. Maybe because its the view but it looks like a bunch of stands someone could put up any where. What makes this photo is the Toronto Skyline. The CN Tower is the King of their skyline and is why I like this pic. It does not have to be a drop top stadium just dont make it look like this.

I dont watch but I will try, I visit their website to see if they won or not and try to find them on local news but they dont always get talked about like they should. I feel that is a little disrespectful to them at least they can win a title.

On the Texans name, Carr will have a good laugh if were to watch that, scared of the Texans (I laughed at that and did not watch), so will the one we let get away The Vinc Man. :( Got himself on Madden 2008 cover and it only took him one year to beat the Colts!

I thought Houston's USFL team was called "The Houston Gamblers". A silly name based on some Kenny Rodgers song called the Gambler. I thought I remembered hearing that Kenny Rodgers was the owner, but it was so long ago it's all just a blur now.

I hated the name Texans when I first heard it. I wanted them to name the new NFL team the Apollos and wrote posts in every chat room I could find on the internet to try to convince people that the name Texans was a stupid , and unoriginal name for a football team.

Right around the time the name was made official (I can't remember if it was before or after) I saw a documentary on the History Channel about the cowboys from Texas in the 1800's that would head the cattle drives from Texas to the railroads in Dodge City, Kansas where the cattle was then shipped to the east via railroad. ANYWAY, these rough house cowboys would come into the town every year and tear up the entire town (booze, prostitution, gambling, shooting people who looked at them crooked, ect.) The town put up with it to some extent because these cowboys spent a lot of money and drove the economy.

So what you say? Well, these special cowboys with the bad ass reputation were known as "The Texans" to the locals. "Oh $hoot, the Texans are coming to town, hide the children!" The Texans were feared and welcomed at the same time.

So after that I didn't hate the name "Texans" anymore. Plus now that I have had a few years to live with it, the name Texans probably sounds tougher than Apollos, and in football thats an asset. Of course, unless you know the minute details about your American history or watch too much t.v., you would just think that the football team from Houston just couldn't think of an original name. But everytime I think of the name Texans, I think of cowboys - only meaner, rougher, and wilder than your regular everyday cowboy. Now, if they'd only play that way. :)

I still don't know what to think about the name "Dynamo". I mean, it sounds a little silly, yet it does bring up imagery of power and excitement, which is something I think is appropriate for the city of Houston. I keep thinking the name will grow on me like the Texans did. Or like soap scum grows on my shower door - it's not so bad once you get used to it.

I meant to type USL. I put in too many letters, I guess. ;)

Somehow, I don't think Bob McNair was thinking of boozing, fornicating, shooting Texans when he picked this lame name. But, it was his $700 mil, so it was his choice. Whatever they're called, if they would put together a 5 game winning streak like the Dynamo just did, I'd probably get over the name.

Not to sound like a racist, but soccer is popular in Houston because of the amount of foreigners here. I mean it only makes since. That's not to say that some of your average Americans don't enjoy a good soccer game.

For example, somebody mentioned the crowds in Kansas City, MO and how small they were. I don't suspect there are many hispanic people or anybody from Latin America for that matter living in KS.

Not to sound like a racist, but soccer is popular in Houston because of the amount of foreigners here. I mean it only makes since. That's not to say that some of your average Americans don't enjoy a good soccer game.

For example, somebody mentioned the crowds in Kansas City, MO and how small they were. I don't suspect there are many hispanic people or anybody from Latin America for that matter living in KS.

Not entirely true. Don't more kids play soccer than any other youth sport?

Not to sound racist, either, but your comments are what one might expect from a suburban white male. Fact is, I am an average American, raised in the South, born in NASCAR country, who hates NASCAR, but likes soccer.

A better question might be, "So what if foreigners like soccer?", or maybe, "That sounds like a smart business decision by MLS officials."

After spending $1 Billion on stadiums for the "American sports", I don't see the problem with a $70 million soccer stadium funded largely by the team owner. And, to borrow a line from mrfootball's Berry Center thread, "Are you a resident of the City of Houston?" That is who is negotiating to provide land for the stadium...land currently used by the owner of the American Baseball team for parking. Did you complain when the City provided that land for the Astros? As a Woodlands resident who wants no part of the City of Houston, I would think you do not have a dog in this hunt.

I love soccer. I played FFPS in Katy for years when I was little. I switched to football when I got older and stopped playing both soccer and football, but soccer is fun.

The only way for soccer to go is up. ESPN is showing more coverage now. The Dynamo are always on ESPN.

Edited by Trae

Not too sound like a racist, but you sound like a fairly ignorant honky. :)

Not too sound like a racist, but you sound like a fairly ignorant honky. :)

<giving middle finger> Big deal. Your probably one vent in the floor away from being in a trailer yourself there Kinkaid!

Editor, I think it's funny you don't say anything to other people on this forum when they make degrading comments except to me.

<giving middle finger> Big deal. Your probably one vent in the floor away from being in a trailer yourself there Kinkaid!

Editor, I think it's funny you don't say anything to other people on this forum when they make degrading comments except to me.

I'm guessing Kinkaid was joking (hence the smiley). Lighten up a bit wxman.

How are you going to give the middle finger to the computer anyway? It isn't like Kinkaid can see it.

Edited by Trae

Not to sound racist, either, but your comments are what one might expect from a suburban white male. Fact is, I am an average American, raised in the South, born in NASCAR country, who hates NASCAR, but likes soccer.

A better question might be, "So what if foreigners like soccer?", or maybe, "That sounds like a smart business decision by MLS officials."

After spending $1 Billion on stadiums for the "American sports", I don't see the problem with a $70 million soccer stadium funded largely by the team owner. And, to borrow a line from mrfootball's Berry Center thread, "Are you a resident of the City of Houston?" That is who is negotiating to provide land for the stadium...land currently used by the owner of the American Baseball team for parking. Did you complain when the City provided that land for the Astros? As a Woodlands resident who wants no part of the City of Houston, I would think you do not have a dog in this hunt.

The Astros are a team that most everybody likes. I happen to find the only people in the city that likes soccer. NOT TO MENTION that that comment about me living in The Woodlands...yes, I do have a dog in this hunt being that The Woodlands is paying Houston millions for REGIONAL projects that benefit both. I think a stadium being built benefits more than just the people living inside the city limits of Houston! It's my opinion. If you like soccer...Great. Good for you! I don't. I don't appriciate being called a name when I voice an opinion. Just like in the Galveston forum, I said the beaches suck...that's because they do! But that's my opinion. Can any of you except that?!?!

Guest danax

Editor probably hasn't seen the comment, and I hadn't either. It doesn't appear that your initial comment was in any way racist or deserving of the racial attack/insult. Let it die.

I'm a "honky" (or should it be "the H word"?) and grew up playing and following baseball and just can't get into soccer. I think a lot of a fan's fervor has to do with both having played the game growing up and having knowledge of teams and players.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that maybe Kincaid wasn't insulting you at all.

You set yourself up for this, wxman. Anyone who starts out saying "I don't want to sound like a racist, BUT..." will always come out sounding like a racist. Especially when he follows up the sentence with his "insightful" observations about "foreigners". Lumping nationalities or races with particular activities will get you into trouble every time. Best to keep an open mind about stuff. No one blames you or cares whether you like soccer or not. Just like Galveston tourism, soccer will survive with or without the support of all the people YOU know in the Woodlands.

My 12 year old nephew and his friends who live in the Woodland love soccer (a lot more than I do), so I know it's not a city vs. suburb thing. I think it's a generational thing not a cultural thing. I didn't grow up playing or watching it so it took me longer to get in to it. But the kids watching it now (all races and nationalites) could really turn the MLS into something huge in a few years.

Cool new stadiums built in the downtowns of major metro areas will only help the sport. I bet everyone in the MLS is hoping this downtown stadium happens in Houston. It will make the entire league look better and seem like a force to be reckoned within the American sports world. Especially when the winning Dynamo starts stealing people away from the losing Astros.

Edited by Mister X

Hot little foreign soccer player from The Woodlands...

cleaveland,emily.jpg

Soccer fields in The Woodlands, right next to <gasp> American Baseball fields! Someone alert Homeland Security!

Alden_Bridge_Sports_ParkCRa.jpg

What is your point? I** don't like soccer. I didn't say everybody in The Woodlands didn't. My friends don't like soccer. They don't live in The Woodlands. Again...what part of my opinion did you not understand?? You guys are kidding yourself if you think that soccer is popular or will ever be popular in America. Period...the end. On a side note, the girl is hot!

I think soccer will only succeed here long term if the best come to play here....and as someone who follows all sports including soccer I think we are a long way off from that happening.

They have players in Europe worth more than an MLS team by themselves. MLS is minor leage at the moment and Americans including myself are used to watching the best athletes in every sport.

When my dad and I watch soccer overseas and then MLS it is like a joke. The first thing I noticed when watching MLS is the players are half as accurate and half as fast.

Here is the true problem for MLS down the road which no one mentions. With Beckham, etc coming in at big contracts this could create serious problems down the road. Most MLS players make less than the league minimums in MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL. LEAGUE MINIMUMS....there are guys in the MLS that make $12,000.

If the MLS hopes to get the talent to make them competitive on a world stage (again this is what it would take for America to take to it) ticket prices, sponsorships and money invested would have to increase.....and if you have been to MLS game....I have been to a couple, the crowd leans to the poor side. Increase ticket prices to $100 for example to have these players and I would say that the crowds would be cut in half killing the sport. The MLS is going to have to add very slowly for the next 10 years because if it gets too far ahead of itself the league will colapse.

The ESPN deal that gets publicized is one of the lowest paid sports deals around...they make very little from it.

The money in this city for example does not support soccer....the money supports the big sports.