Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Perfect for practice fields, but the stadium itself needs to be across from Downtown or across from Reliant Park to be most successful. Our NFL, MLB, or NBA stadiums are there for a reason: Reliant and Downtown are a better conveniance for our fans than a fan in Pearland having to drive to Webster or vise-versa. Why would anyone think MLS would be successful if the stadium were not in a central location like our other professional teams? That's just nuts.

no that's where the stadium is to be built. not downtown

That sucks. Maybe they consider that undeveloped land just north of Pearland as being Pearland. Let's hope.

since oliver luck was head of the HSA, he knows it will be a struggle to build yet another stadium in houston. he was the one who said they were pursuing a suburb city.

since oliver luck was head of the HSA, he knows it will be a struggle to build yet another stadium in houston. he was the one who said they were pursuing a suburb city.

Oliver Luck needs to realize that talks for a new stadium that's classy and worth building is just premature. They've only been in Houston for one season. We don't have any idea how much more popular or unpopular the team will be in 5 years. Maybe 25,000 seats won't be enough for Dynamo then. Maybe the team's interest will dwendle before the new stadium is built, and Dynamo would have to pursue strong advertisement campaigns and/or invest in a high-profile player to get fans back in the stands. They need at least another 2 years in Robertson to have an idea of how far they can go with the stadium (location, capacity, suites, corporate sponsorship, naming rights, funding from Houston, etc.)

Oliver Luck needs to realize that talks for a new stadium that's classy and worth building is just premature. They've only been in Houston for one season. We don't have any idea how much more popular or unpopular the team will be in 5 years. Maybe 25,000 seats won't be enough for Dynamo then. Maybe the team's interest will dwendle before the new stadium is built, and Dynamo would have to pursue strong advertisement campaigns and/or invest in a high-profile player to get fans back in the stands. They need at least another 2 years in Robertson to have an idea of how far they can go with the stadium (location, capacity, suites, corporate sponsorship, naming rights, funding from Houston, etc.)

i think they had a 3 yr deal with UH..so there are 2 yrs more there. oliver has a good feeling funding from houston wont materialize because currently the hotel motel tax isn't enough to fund the other stadiums, much less another. remember he was houston sports authority president so he knows the REAL situation.

Edited by musicman

They are going to copy exactly what FC Dallas did. FC Dallas is the most efficient and well run club in MLS. They have over 6500 players in their soccer club. Frisco ISD shares the stadium with FC Dallas, paid for most of it. North Dallas where majority of the suburb soccer moms and kids are, grow up playing and living with FC Dallas. I don't like it I wish the stadium could be east of DT and be work in with HISD. I can understand completely though if a deal works with Clear Lake or Ft. Bend County. In buisiness you learn to be successful, find someone who made it work the best nd copy them... Who better to copy then FC Dallas...

Sorry can't spell or type tonight....

i think they had a 3 yr deal with UH..so there are 2 yrs more there. oliver has a good feeling funding from houston wont materialize because currently the hotel motel tax isn't enough to fund the other stadiums, much less another. remember he was houston sports authority president so he knows the REAL situation.

I think the City of Houston would find a way to fund millions into the stadium if the project were worth it. I just don't think it's worth it yet. They'll build a small-ass stadium in the boondocks in order to keep up with the trend of high-school/MLS stadiums out there, when our Dynamo fans at the MLS Cup proved that we're the trend-SETTERS, not trend-followers.

As I've said before, the area across 59 from GRB needs a redevelopment in the baddest. Let the MLS stadium be part of a redevelopment there...but after you get a better assessment on Dynamo fan support. Houston shouldn't have to put any money into a stadium if it's not worth it. But in a couple years, it will be. Someone tell Luck not to rush it.

Remember the movie.... Field of Dreams...... "If you build it, they will come"..... (and that was an IOWA corn field)........What do you think?

I think that was a movie...ya know? Fiction?

I think the City of Houston would find a way to fund millions into the stadium if the project were worth it. I just don't think it's worth it yet. They'll build a small-ass stadium in the boondocks in order to keep up with the trend of high-school/MLS stadiums out there, when our Dynamo fans at the MLS Cup proved that we're the trend-SETTERS, not trend-followers.

As I've said before, the area across 59 from GRB needs a redevelopment in the baddest. Let the MLS stadium be part of a redevelopment there...but after you get a better assessment on Dynamo fan support. Houston shouldn't have to put any money into a stadium if it's not worth it. But in a couple years, it will be. Someone tell Luck not to rush it.

I agree DJ. It's not worth it at this time. Let's see if they stay in Houston first. Have you heard anymore of the DelMar site?

They are going to copy exactly what FC Dallas did. FC Dallas is the most efficient and well run club in MLS. They have over 6500 players in their soccer club. Frisco ISD shares the stadium with FC Dallas, paid for most of it. North Dallas where majority of the suburb soccer moms and kids are, grow up playing and living with FC Dallas. I don't like it I wish the stadium could be east of DT and be work in with HISD. I can understand completely though if a deal works with Clear Lake or Ft. Bend County. In buisiness you learn to be successful, find someone who made it work the best nd copy them... Who better to copy then FC Dallas...

Sorry can't spell or type tonight....

But the deal is, Houston isn't Dallas. I don't think Houstonians will (especially inner city fans) want to drive out to the 'burbs to watch a soccer game. It works in Frisco because Dallasites are used to driving out of town to see their teams play. Houstonians appreciate the fact that our stadiums are central. So did the USOC.

I think this stadium needs to be build inside the loop for continued success. I don't think a suburban stadium will work here.

The Dynamo's head coach Dominic Kinnear was on Fox 26 news and said that Sealy is being considered as a location for a stadium.

Might as well build it in SA. I really hope they don't drop the ball on this one. Let's follow Toronto's lead, not Dallas'. See info on Toronto's new stadium below.

"Toronto FC will have their home at a new soccer-specific stadium currently under construction. The stadium, which will seat 20,000 fans, also will be a new major home of the Canadian National Teams. The location of Toronto's newest sporting facility is on the grounds of Exhibition Place will have access to Toronto's transit systems, along with ample parking."
BMO Field is projected to open May 11, 2007, coinciding with the start of the 2007 MLS season. MLS's commissioner has declared that the 2008 All-Star Game will take place at BMO Field, as will an MLS Cup by the year 2012.

NSS.jpg

Following the FC Dallas model for the Houston Dynamo will be the death knell for a squad with a pretty promising future here. At least in Dallas ALL of the suburbs are on the North side of town. You can build a successfule suburban soccer club there. They try that here they will be lucky to have 5000 fans in there for a game in years where the team does not win. The school district would probably draw more fans for high school football.

The "Frisco" model works in Dallas because all of DFW's suburban areas are concentrated on the north side of the metroplex. The people who are furthest from Frisco are actually just south of downtown Dallas and in Fort Worth. Downtown to Frisco is 30 miles. Fort Worth probably has very few fans who make the trip because its 50 miles, but again almost all of Forth Worths suburbs are on the northeast side of Forth Worth and are closer to Frisco (Southlake, Grapevine, Flower Mound, etc).

In Houston, you have Sugarland/Missouri City/etc, Katy, The Woodlands/Conroe, Clear Lake/League City, the Cypress-Fairbanks area, Humble/Kingwood, and the Pearland/Friendswood areas and ALL are located on different radial directions from downtown Houston.

If you build in downtown, that means you are building the stadium in 1)the city with the largest number of fans. and 2) the only location within 30 miles of all of the following...Cy-Fair, Katy, The Woodlands, League City, Pearland, Sugarland, Tomball, Humble, Spring, Kingwood, Clear Lake, etc, etc, etc.

If you build in Katy...Houston is now 30 miles away instead of smaller Katy only being 30 miles away. Pearland is 45 miles away. League City is 60 miles away. The Woodlands is 50 miles away.

The same works for any suburban type location, your'e cutting your suburban fan base in half by excluding the suburbs on the far side of town, while also placing your urban fans at a longer distance. And unlike suburban fans who are used to driving into town for entertainment venues, I doubt urban fans are going to make the reverse commute when they have other options in town.

Downtown makes sense. You can probably have a base of 15,000 fans within 10 miles of the stadium in downtown Houston while still pulling a few thousand from the 30 mile range in all directions.

You build somewhere like Cypress (to use an example, you could also sub in Pearland, Sugarland, etc her and change up the example a bit and it would be the same), and you'll probably find only 5000 or fewer fans within 10 miles, a handful from Katy, Woodlands and Sugarland, and you'll probably drop the Houston fans who hardly ever drive out to the burbs down significantly. Plus youve all but killed all the suburban fans on the southwest side...they arent likely going to be making a hour and half trek across the Houston Metro area on a regular basis. If you build somewhere like Sealy (that cant be a real option) you can kiss this team goodbye, they'll be folding up shop within 5 years.

Dallas is different. We cant use their model.

Edited by JJxvi

Following the FC Dallas model for the Houston Dynamo will be the death knell for a squad with a pretty promising future here. At least in Dallas ALL of the suburbs are on the North side of town. You can build a successfule suburban soccer club there. They try that here they will be lucky to have 5000 fans in there for a game in years where the team does not win. The school district would probably draw more fans for high school football.

If you build a soccer stadium anywhere outside of Houston, you end up being just another Dallas. You will NOT have a genuine Houston team just as Dallas does NOT have genuine football and baseball teams-they don't play in or generate revenue for Dallas. They suck off the Dallas label while generating revenue for Irving and Arlington-and now for Frisco.

I'd prefer to have our Houston teams play IN Houston. The benefits for the city far out-weigh any other option.

And once again, is DelMar off the table?

If they decide not build it near downtown, or on the Astroworld plot. I would suggest them to build the stadium in the Woodlands, or Sugarland.

Abosolite farthest away should be the Astroworld plot. If not, they should just stay at Robertson permanantly, 'cause a stadium outside Houston just isn't worth supporting. And if they move to Woodlands, Sugarland, etc., might as well name the team after the city (Woodlands Dynamo, Sugarland Dynamo, etc.). If they're willing to pay for the stadium, they deserve the naming rights.

And if they move to Woodlands, Sugarland, etc., might as well name the team after the city (Woodlands Dynamo, Sugarland Dynamo, etc.). If they're willing to pay for the stadium, they deserve the naming rights.

Maybe the "Houston Dynamo of Sugar Land" would work? :D

Hey, if the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" can do it, why not us? (Actually, I think that's the stupidest idea I've ever heard...freakin' freaks out there in LaLa land.)

Maybe the "Houston Dynamo of Sugar Land" would work? :D

Hey, if the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" can do it, why not us? (Actually, I think that's the stupidest idea I've ever heard...freakin' freaks out there in LaLa land.)

Any dumber than the Dallas Cowboys of Irving soon to be Arlington? :blink:

There are a lot of professional teams playing in the burbs. It isn't uncommon. I prefer that Houston keeps the Dynamo in the city limits; I would like for the new stadium to be close to downtown, but I am not sure with land values that it is an option.

Why not have the City of Houston purchase the land across 59 from GRB, and donate enough of that land to Dynamo. Then we have Dynamo pay 100% of the stadium's building and material costs, with Houston giving the team tax breaks. Have the City of Houston use the other lots around it for other crazy developments with investors and new businesses (like Houston Pavilions), and we get money back from the taxes and lease of the land. We'd make the money back, the stadium would be worth a lot, and Dynamo/soccer would have a better chance to grow.

When the time was right, Dynamo could move back to Robertson while construction of their bigger stadium was done...on the same space as the one already built. Stadium expansion, yo. It would save so much for the team, and Houston would win more than any other city in MLS.

Why not have the City of Houston purchase the land across 59 from GRB, and donate enough of that land to Dynamo. Then we have Dynamo pay 100% of the stadium's building and material costs, with Houston giving the team tax breaks. Have the City of Houston use the other lots around it for other crazy developments with investors and new businesses (like Houston Pavilions), and we get money back from the taxes and lease of the land. We'd make the money back, the stadium would be worth a lot, and Dynamo/soccer would have a better chance to grow.

I have a free pass to the real world if you'd like to join us.

• Like 1

When the time was right, Dynamo could move back to Robertson while construction of their bigger stadium was done...on the same space as the one already built. Stadium expansion, yo. It would save so much for the team, and Houston would win more than any other city in MLS.

What a great idea! Those crazy developments, like the ones around Reliant, Minute Maid and Toyota, would be fantastic.....if I was homeless. :unsure:

I know! Let's just pay for EVERYTHING so the uber wealthy team owners don't have to dirty their hands with icky construction contracts, land transactions and ticket sales. We'll just pay for everything and send them a check every month!!!

Next we can build "crazy" [whatever that means] developments for them and give them all the profits!!!

CAAAAAAAAAAaRAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :D

I know! Let's just pay for EVERYTHING so the uber wealthy team owners don't have to dirty their hands with icky construction contracts, land transactions and ticket sales. We'll just pay for everything and send them a check every month!!!

Next we can build "crazy" [whatever that means] developments for them and give them all the profits!!!

CAAAAAAAAAAaRAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :D

I'm just saying that it could be an investment for the city if we bought the land in that area (the warehouses and abandoned buildings) hired a development team to come up with plans on a project (similar to Hardy Rail, which would also be a good MLS location), and leased it to a number of developers, including MLS. It wouldn't be just a gimme. We'd be getting the money back via lease, and the land value would rise with the developments coming into play. As other developers saw that the land is becoming another Midtown, perhaps they'd want to buy the land lots instead of leasing. By that time, the appreciation of the land would have risen, and our city would have profitted. And ban the homeless from living anywhere on Houston's streets (like we have Downtown and Midtown) so the population doesn't spill into 3rd Ward. We have the homeless shelters in the area to help.

The only reason why that land is worth anything is because it's across from Downtown. That's it. There's nothing there. It's a sitting duck. Anything done on that land could only make that property value rise, yo. Do something you didn't do with Toyota or Minute Maid; have this stadium be a part of a masterplan instead of wishful thinking.

I'm just saying that it could be an investment for the city if we bought the land in that area (the warehouses and abandoned buildings) hired a development team to come up with plans on a project (similar to Hardy Rail, which would also be a good MLS location), and leased it to a number of developers, including MLS. It wouldn't be just a gimme. We'd be getting the money back via lease, and the land value would rise with the developments coming into play. As other developers saw that the land is becoming another Midtown, perhaps they'd want to buy the land lots instead of leasing. By that time, the appreciation of the land would have risen, and our city would have profitted. And ban the homeless from living anywhere on Houston's streets (like we have Downtown and Midtown) so the population doesn't spill into 3rd Ward. We have the homeless shelters in the area to help.

The only reason why that land is worth anything is because it's across from Downtown. That's it. There's nothing there. It's a sitting duck. Anything done on that land could only make that property value rise, yo. Do something you didn't do with Toyota or Minute Maid; have this stadium be a part of a masterplan instead of wishful thinking.

Uh, drive around that land sometime - there's townhomes and lofts already sprouting up everywhere. I would probably guess that in the last year and a half at least 200-300 have been built in the area. Yes, a lot of empty lots still, but the difference between that and say, what the 4th Ward used to be, is that developers, if they so cared to can already just pop in and buy the land without having to kick anyone out. A stadium, if designed poorly, would probably just deaden that progress as you have a lot of people asking, "why would anyone want to live next to that"?

I was thinking somehwere near 288 would be good. Cause I see nothing but grass south of Reliant.

Long as it's inside the beltway, it's fine.

I think people whine and delicate flower too much about location. I can understand it being in Sealy and being pissed because that is TOO far.

I think the Woodlands, League City/Webster, is too far.

Sugar Land is okay, Clear Lake is okay, maybe even Friendswood is ok. Pearland is okay. Kingwood is okay, anywhere in Cypress is okay, but only as far as Cy-Fair high school. I forgot what road its on. Spring is okay to have it.

They don't want to play at Robertson Stadium permanently.

I was thinking somehwere near 288 would be good. Cause I see nothing but grass south of Reliant.

Long as it's inside the beltway, it's fine.

I think people whine and delicate flower too much about location. I can understand it being in Sealy and being pissed because that is TOO far.

I think the Woodlands, League City/Webster, is too far.

Sugar Land is okay, Clear Lake is okay, maybe even Friendswood is ok. Pearland is okay. Kingwood is okay, anywhere in Cypress is okay, but only as far as Cy-Fair high school. I forgot what road its on. Spring is okay to have it.

They don't want to play at Robertson Stadium permanently.

Stay as far away from the SUBURBS...very boring may I say!!!

So do you EVER making to Downtown or Midtown? the homeless are STILL there. ordinance has made no difference.

instead of wishful thinking? i think that's what you're doing.

that pass to the real world is only available for 1 hr. act fast!

Edited by musicman