Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Here's the 2006 World Cup official ball:

29curr_slide3.jpg

A Rounder Ball to Give Players an Edge

Millions of people watched the 2006 World Cup draw earlier this month, and saw the introduction of the official ball for the soccer tournament, which starts June 9 in Munich. With 14 panels of resilient foam that are glued, rather than sewn together, the design, + Teamgeist, from Adidas, is a departure from the industry standard, 32 hexagrams and pentagrams.

Eliminating stitched seams and larger panels reduces the ball's "zones of inconsistency," said Dr. Roland Seydel, leader of the team at Adidas that designed the ball. The more rounded shape is meant to provide better accuracy.

A little off-topic but I thought some of you soccer fans would like to see it.

Maybe an inventive and imaginative architect could use it's design as inspiration?

Kinda cool.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

looks like addidas brand maxi-pads glued on to the ball...

and really.. is soccer the only sport that has a million different balls?? it seems every national league has their own ball and they're all a little different... do they make any difference?

XMarks the spot for my suggestion of locations

Western part of Galleria off Westheimer Rd:

ixdob6.jpg

there;s no way a stadium could fit here. that chunk of land is too small, the traffic is bad and there's CVS now on the corner. and that other X is where my pharmacy is and where i like to do midnight junk food runs.

Could we build it on the site where The Mercer now stands? That way, we'd get a two-fer.

Seriously, I really like Redscare's ideas about exploring ways to make it comfortable without roofing and air conditioning it. How about sinking the entire stadium below ground for insulation and ground cooling and partially roofing it? Then, we could use some kind of solar heat pump and allow the cool air to settle into the seating bowl, while warm air is evacuated out of the top.

Of course, you'd need good pumps to drain the thing after every rain storm.

AEG seeking partner for stadium development:

Link to Chronicle article

Remember the words "OTHER ENTITY" mentioned in this article.......

Rumor has it Metro might be that other entity. It is no secret that Metro is trying to help develop multi-use projects along the Main Street line. If this team makes it big in town as most expect (given the excellent product already on the pitch) dont be surprised to hear rumblings about a proposed Midtown site along Main Street near downtown as part of some multi-use project. Its a long shot idea.....but so was a downtown baseball stadium in 1995.

If it doesn

Remember the words "OTHER ENTITY" mentioned in this article.......

Rumor has it Metro might be that other entity. It is no secret that Metro is trying to help develop multi-use projects along the Main Street line. If this team makes it big in town as most expect (given the excellent product already on the pitch) dont be surprised to hear rumblings about a proposed Midtown site along Main Street near downtown as part of some multi-use project. Its a long shot idea.....but so was a downtown baseball stadium in 1995.

Metro would be a hot "other entity". What if they tied the stadium in with the "Grand Central Station" to be built just a few blocks north of downtown. If that were to happen, more money could be put into the stadium instead of the land to make the stadium the most luxurious soccer field in North America. Fans could come to the stadium via bus/light rail, giving Metro MAD revenue. a 40,000 seat stadium would be much more realistic at that location than a 25,000 seater at NW mall. (location is key).

It'd be a match made in soccer heaven :)

Holy Cow! Can you imagine the uproar created if the anti-stadium crowd combined with the anti-transit crowd? It would be like planets colliding!

I think I'd rather METRO stick to transit, instead of partnering on stadiums. High gas prices have removed a lot of resistance to mass transit. For the first time in its existence, METRO is able to work on its plans without major opposition. I don't want to see them re-create opposition to their efforts. Besides, the 290 commuter rail will likely stop at the NW transit center...easy access to Delmar if it goes there.

Moreover, a stadium requires lots of parking. It will not be a compact venue, even if it is 25,000 seats. Hardy Yards, combined with leasing airspace over the Intermodal station for residences, will create a vibrant compact environment on N. Main, overlooking the revitalized Buffalo Bayou. Unless the stadium was located north of these developments, it would likely detract from the overall area because of all of the parking lots.

looks like addidas brand maxi-pads glued on to the ball...

and really.. is soccer the only sport that has a million different balls?? it seems every national league has their own ball and they're all a little different... do they make any difference?

Great Googly Moogly ! I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Maybe they were trying a "wing" design so the ball could travel further when kicked.

Holy Cow! Can you imagine the uproar created if the anti-stadium crowd combined with the anti-transit crowd? It would be like planets colliding!

I think I'd rather METRO stick to transit, instead of partnering on stadiums. High gas prices have removed a lot of resistance to mass transit. For the first time in its existence, METRO is able to work on its plans without major opposition. I don't want to see them re-create opposition to their efforts. Besides, the 290 commuter rail will likely stop at the NW transit center...easy access to Delmar if it goes there.

Moreover, a stadium requires lots of parking. It will not be a compact venue, even if it is 25,000 seats. Hardy Yards, combined with leasing airspace over the Intermodal station for residences, will create a vibrant compact environment on N. Main, overlooking the revitalized Buffalo Bayou. Unless the stadium was located north of these developments, it would likely detract from the overall area because of all of the parking lots.

:lol: Just the thought of the anti-stadium/anti-transit dudes coming together frighten me!! :lol:

Now, the reason why Metro Grand Station and Houston1836's stadium coming together could work is this: Both sides want to see their 100 million+ projects succeed. There's no guarantee that the Metro Project will be a big hit just yet (their location isn't confirmed yet for the station. Just spectulation for now). The soccer team would like a packed, sold-out stadium each night. Imagine how much traffic would pass by the stadium if a successful Grand Station was within a block or two away? Imagine als what it would be like if there were a stadium with a part of Grand Station looking over the field, say, behind one goal area, and the Downtown skyline looking over the other? Even make it a retractable roof, having the roof (when opened) parked over the Grand Station. It would be especially beneficial for the 36 Boyz because the land would have been donated by Metro (cuts costs), they'd have a great central landmark where Houstonians would have easy central access from any direction, and the team would get to spend their 80 million on building the most luxurious stadium in North America as opposed to spending mad cash on just buying the land.

Metro would benefit because of there'd be a place extremely close to it that would be more logical to get through by bus or light rail than car. And even if you wanted to use a car, simply park in the underground garage beneath the Grand Station :)

:lol: Just the thought of the anti-stadium/anti-transit dudes coming together frighten me!! :lol:

Now, the reason why Metro Grand Station and Houston1836's stadium coming together could work is this: Both sides want to see their 100 million+ projects succeed. There's no guarantee that the Metro Project will be a big hit just yet (their location isn't confirmed yet for the station. Just spectulation for now). The soccer team would like a packed, sold-out stadium each night. Imagine how much traffic would pass by the stadium if a successful Grand Station was within a block or two away? Imagine als what it would be like if there were a stadium with a part of Grand Station looking over the field, say, behind one goal area, and the Downtown skyline looking over the other? Even make it a retractable roof, having the roof (when opened) parked over the Grand Station. It would be especially beneficial for the 36 Boyz because the land would have been donated by Metro (cuts costs), they'd have a great central landmark where Houstonians would have easy central access from any direction, and the team would get to spend their 80 million on building the most luxurious stadium in North America as opposed to spending mad cash on just buying the land.

Metro would benefit because of there'd be a place extremely close to it that would be more logical to get through by bus or light rail than car. And even if you wanted to use a car, simply park in the underground garage beneath the Grand Station :)

This is a nice plan and all but....one lil problem.

Metro's Grand Station idea is for the North end of downtown near I-10 and UHD.

Midtown is south of downtown. Metro believes this is area, sandwiched between downtown and the Tx Med Center/Hermann Park/Museum district area, is ideal for any development project, regardless if it includes a soccer stadium or not.

And I happen to agree too. Midtown is a perfect spot for any major multi-purpose retail residential development.

But like I said earlier.....this is a long shot.

I still believe Delmar will be where they will take the field in 2008 or 09. And if its there, I have no problem with it given the redevlopment plans being floated around for NW Mall/Transit center and tying that into the stadiums development. And plus, the Delmar site could possibly offer room for soccer prectice fields, which I'm sure 1836 will want. Every other soccer venue being built in the MLS has included soccer practice fields thus far. You just cant go wrong with the Delmar site....it offers the potiential perfect mix of soccer friendliness (with practice fields) and entertainment and retail with a propposed redeveloped NW Mall that no other franchise in the MLS will have.

In short, Delmar gives Houston the best chance of creating the preimer soccer venue in the US.

and the team would get to spend their 80 million on building the most luxurious stadium in North America as opposed to spending mad cash on just buying the land.

Ha Ha...silly wabbit...you meant OUR 80 million, didn't you? You don't really think the team's owners are going to pay for this, do you?

You are such a lovable kidder, DJ :wub:

B)

Ha Ha...silly wabbit...you meant OUR 80 million, didn't you? You don't really think the team's owners are going to pay for this, do you?

You are such a lovable kidder, DJ :wub:

B)

...but where would Metro be gettig THEIR 100 million for their project?

Besides, us spending on a portion of a $80 million dollar stadium isn't as much as us spending $150 for a basketball arena or $200 for a baseball stadium, is it?

...but where would Metro be gettig THEIR 100 million for their project?

Besides, us spending on a portion of a $80 million dollar stadium isn't as much as us spending $150 for a basketball arena or $200 for a baseball stadium, is it?

ummmm...my point is why are we financing millionaire/billionaire sport franchise owners at all?

Metro is a public service paid for by taxpayers...I guess my cut of media advertising revenues from the taxpayer funded stadiums we built for the privatly owned Rockets, Astros and Texans got lost in the mail. ;)

B)

ummmm...my point is why are we financing millionaire/billionaire sport franchise owners at all?

B)

...because if we don't, another city will.

Say for example, if Houston decided we didn't want to help finance or invest in a team's facility, but Louisville did, which would be the better investment for the owner? I know it sucks, and it's greedy, but the investments (according to the teams) is paid back to the community by having a team represent them, give media coveage, and create revenue for businesses throughout that location through tourism and local restaurants. The more people go crazy for a sports team, the more likely that the craze will draw revenue and recognition like never before. (case in point: The Seattle Seahawks' media coverage, Detroit's Super Bowl hosting).

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Say for example, if Houston decided we didn't want to help finance or invest in a team's facility, but Louisville did, which would be the better investment for the owner? I know it sucks, and it's greedy, but the investments (according to the teams) is paid back to the community by having a team represent them, give media coveage, and create revenue for businesses throughout that location through tourism and local restaurants. The more people go crazy for a sports team, the more likely that the craze will draw revenue and recognition like never before. (case in point: The Seattle Seahawks' media coverage, Detroit's Super Bowl hosting).

... and agree or disagree, the stadium financings were put to a vote of, and approved by, the citizens of Houston.

• Like 1

Renovate Robertson Stadium to make it state-of-the-art and get U of H to finance part of it. Send light rail down Richmond/Wheeler and put a slightly larger station at the stadium to accommodate the crowds. That's what I'd like to see.

Edited by N Judah

Perhaps if every city just said "No"...oh hell, it's all water under the bridge. I know I'm in the minority but I could never vote for welfare for billonaire sports team owners. Having a losing NFL team is not nearly important as having better schools and cleaner water-amoung other things.

GO TEXANS!!! WE'RE # LAST!! WE'RE # LAST!! WE'RE #...... -_-

• 9 months later...
I don't have a lot of info but it sounds like Dynamo are going to build their stadium just east of MMP. More info later..

The Dynamo is going to build it or is the city going to build it? I just want to be ready if I'm going to get screwed with my pants on...again [MMP, Toyota, Reliant.]

The Dynamo is going to build it or is the city going to build it? I just want to be ready if I'm going to get screwed with my pants on...again [MMP, Toyota, Reliant.]

You'd best cut a small incision in the rear of those pants and start freeballing it...

IF (and I'm not confirming this rumor) the stadium gets built east of Minutemaid Park, it would almost certainly have to be built the parking lots owned by Harris County. And if they took all that parking away from Minutemaid, Harris County would almost certainly end up having to build huge and hugely expensive parking garages to compensate the Astros for their loss. And if the Dynamo stadium isn't built there but is still east of Minutemaid, then they're going to have to do the same process of eminent domain and demolition that they had to with Minutemaid, but in the warehouse district.