Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

Dynamo Stadium Update:

Mayor White like to request Harris County to invest $10 Million for the new stadium

Also, expect to see a report on KHOU tonight. It looks like the $10 Million could be the final deal needed to be made for the Dynamo to get their new home downtown. Hopefully, by the end of next month we'll hear an announcement and see renderings.

Edited by DJ V Lawrence

Dynamo Stadium Update:

Mayor White like to request Harris County to invest $10 Million for the new stadium

Also, expect to see a report on KHOU tonight. It looks like the $10 Million could be the final deal needed to be made for the Dynamo to get their new home downtown. Hopefully, by next month we'll hear an announcement and see renderings.

Awesome. This gives me more hope. :)

Dynamo Stadium Update:

Also, expect to see a report on KHOU tonight. It looks like the $10 Million could be the final deal needed to be made for the Dynamo to get their new home downtown. Hopefully, by next month we'll hear an announcement and see renderings.

This seems like a smart long term investment for the city. 1/10 the price of a Discovery Green for raising land prices east of 59, resulting in several more millions of dollars in the future from taxes. Good for Houston and good for the Dynamo.

Dynamo Stadium Update:

i hope this ends up being the break we have all been waiting some time for *fingers crossed*

Dynamo Stadium Update:

Also, expect to see a report on KHOU tonight. It looks like the $10 Million could be the final deal needed to be made for the Dynamo to get their new home downtown. Hopefully, by the end of next month we'll hear an announcement and see renderings.

This is great. Keeps the positive momentum going in Downtown.

This seems like a smart long term investment for the city. 1/10 the price of a Discovery Green for raising land prices east of 59, resulting in several more millions of dollars in the future from taxes. Good for Houston and good for the Dynamo.

You'd think so, but in the end, Minute Maid Park and the Toyota Center failed to deliver and I doubt the Dynamo Stadium will either.

I like the idea of the Dynamo playing near downtown but I do not think it will bring in massive development to the general area. If Minute Maid couldn't do it with its retractable roof, better setting, and double the amount of seats + 60 or so more home games then it is unlikely the Dynamo Stadium will pay off in the end.

An example of a GREAT investment by the city; Discovery Green. That is why I DREAM of someone taking on the Buffalo Bayou master plan. That would literally transform Houston.

You'd think so, but in the end, Minute Maid Park and the Toyota Center failed to deliver and I doubt the Dynamo Stadium will either.

I like the idea of the Dynamo playing near downtown but I do not think it will bring in massive development to the general area. If Minute Maid couldn't do it with its retractable roof, better setting, and double the amount of seats + 60 or so more home games then it is unlikely the Dynamo Stadium will pay off in the end.

An example of a GREAT investment by the city; Discovery Green. That is why I DREAM of someone taking on the Buffalo Bayou master plan. That would literally transform Houston.

Well yeah, but compare east side of downtown ten years ago to the east side of downtown today. Unfortunately, things don't happen drastically here. The city has invested a lot in downtown, and it will continue to. Developments are coming along now. One Park Place, Discovery Tower, Main Place, Embassy Suites, a La Quinta, other hotels, etc. are all on the way which means more tax dollars for the city. Downtown isn't changing over night, but with all of the rail lines, stadiums, and greenspace the city is putting in, it will be there someday.

Well yeah, but compare east side of downtown ten years ago to the east side of downtown today. Unfortunately, things don't happen drastically here. The city has invested a lot in downtown, and it will continue to. Developments are coming along now. One Park Place, Discovery Tower, Main Place, Embassy Suites, a La Quinta, other hotels, etc. are all on the way which means more tax dollars for the city. Downtown isn't changing over night, but with all of the rail lines, stadiums, and greenspace the city is putting in, it will be there someday.

Exactly.

The east side of Downtown has changed a bunch since Minute Maid and TC. The Dynamo stadium will only help that. Not to mention the rail line right in front of it.

I am all for the stadium being built but I think it is a fallacy to say that stadiums can drive development in Houston.

The Discovery Tower, One Park Place, La Quinta, Embassy Suites, and potential new convention hotel are being built because of the expansion of the GRB, success of the Hilton Americas, and Discovery Green Park. Now, those were SMART public/private ventures.

I am all for the stadium being built but I think it is a fallacy to say that stadiums can drive development in Houston.

The Discovery Tower, One Park Place, La Quinta, Embassy Suites, and potential new convention hotel are being built because of the expansion of the GRB, success of the Hilton Americas, and Discovery Green Park. Now, those were SMART public/private ventures.

How can you say that so conclusively? The expansion of the GRB, the Hilton Americas, Discovery Green, Minute Maid and the Toyota Center are all in close proximity to each other. I don't see how you can say that the location of the stadiums was not a contributing factor to the development that is now occurring in that area.

I think that there is an open question as to whether stadiums drive sufficient development to justify the public expense, but I would argue that there are too many cases of development that has occurred around downtown stadiums across the country to discount their contribution completely.

How can you say that so conclusively? The expansion of the GRB, the Hilton Americas, Discovery Green, Minute Maid and the Toyota Center are all in close proximity to each other. I don't see how you can say that the location of the stadiums was not a contributing factor to the development that is now occurring in that area.

I think that there is an open question as to whether stadiums drive sufficient development to justify the public expense, but I would argue that there are too many cases of development that has occurred around downtown stadiums across the country to discount their contribution completely.

Give it time...how much?..maybe years..but it would at least have some nice landscaping around it and help beautify East Downtown and attract developers....which is better than surface parking and old warehouses..(future apartments/lofts?)...and increase the Buffalo Bayou project awareness to extend eastward.

My fiance and I drove around the east side looking at townhomes last weekend... I got real excited by the potential of the area (and was also suprised by how big the industrial wasteland is).

There are areas of semi-dense townhome development (200K-400K it seemed) that feel almost like a neighborhood already. A nice soccer stadium with some surrounding retail will be a good boost. The rail will be a bigger boost. This area would be perfect for a little CoH-initiated planning :huh:

This is all dependent on how long the worst of the credit crunch lasts though <_<

Discovery Green would not be the success that it is without Minute Maid or Toyota Center.

• 2 weeks later...

Oliver Luck's DynamoPlanet interview

We had a couple questions on the possible stadium Downtown. Should the stadium deal go through, what are some of the developments you see happening in that area of Houston, and how much of an impact would the stadium have on local business in the immediate area?

The EaDo (East Downtown) area of Houston is poised to grow very quickly. The Metro rail lines will contribute to this as well as the new stadium. My sense is that the EaDo area will experience a real boom similar to what has happened to Midtown. I think that our impact will be very similar to the impact created by both Minute Maid Park and Toyota Center.

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday's Dynamo match moved to 7 p.m.

Saturday's Dynamo match moved to 7 p.m.

Change of plans (rescheduled this game till Oct 15th for now):

"The city reached out to all sports organizations and asked that we cancel events this weekend," Dynamo chief operating officer Chris Canetti told the Houston Chronicle. "We are adhering to that request." :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Dynamo will not get a stadium and they'll be out of here in two years. That's my wild prediction.

If they don't have anything in place by the time Bill White is out of office, I would think it would be a pretty big black mark on his term here.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Dynamo will not get a stadium and they'll be out of here in two years. That's my wild prediction.

I wouldn't say that is a wild prediction at all. In fact I would think it was right on the mark. If you can't provide a stadium you can't expect to keep a pro team.

It was mentioned during he last Dynamo broadcast that the new goal is for the stadium deal to be finalized by the end of the year. Oscar De La Hoya also mentioned the same thing as well when he was asked about it shortly before the hurricane.

I do think the deal will get done, but god forbid the Dynamo win another MLS Cup title and the deal still isn't finalized by late November . Last year, the championship party at City Hall turned into a few thousand Houstonians chanting for a new stadium. Seeing how quickly the city's mostly back to business and how much the fan base has solidified even more this past year, I'm sure the party this year will see a few thousand more

If they don't have anything in place by the time Bill White is out of office, I would think it would be a pretty big black mark on his term here.

Hardly. I am a proponent of a stadium for Houston's only championship team, but a refusal by the Mayor to crater to the Dynamo the way we did to the other three team owners will not be seen as a black mark. Frankly, given the current credit landscape, I'll be surprised if the Dynamo can even uphold their end of the deal.

• 3 weeks later...
Hardly. I am a proponent of a stadium for Houston's only championship team, but a refusal by the Mayor to crater to the Dynamo the way we did to the other three team owners will not be seen as a black mark. Frankly, given the current credit landscape, I'll be surprised if the Dynamo can even uphold their end of the deal.

We bought a house at the beginning of the year right next to the proposed stadium site. We weren't given any indication about the stadium going in when we bought and did a search but didn't know that would be something to look for in the surrounding area. Our complex and a few others are not thrilled that they're building there - where are fans going to park? This stadium site is poorly planned!

But for those of you who are curious - they've posted TCEQ permit signs that read 'proposed dynamo stadium' and will be tearing down two warehouses soon.

Our small neighborhood does not want this stadium there!

We bought a house at the beginning of the year right next to the proposed stadium site. We weren't given any indication about the stadium going in when we bought and did a search but didn't know that would be something to look for in the surrounding area. Our complex and a few others are not thrilled that they're building there - where are fans going to park? This stadium site is poorly planned!

But for those of you who are curious - they've posted TCEQ permit signs that read 'proposed dynamo stadium' and will be tearing down two warehouses soon.

I'm terribly sorry that you did not know that the City and the Dynamo had been discussing a stadium at this location for nearly two years.

I suppose you also probably do not know about the light rail line that will run through the area, connecting Second Ward and Third Ward to downtown. Just think of all the brown people! They will no doubt inundate your neighborhood with poverty, crime, and other such terrible things that are intuitively correlated with melanin.

You should sell your home immediately and move to an insulated suburban enclave (or West U or Bellaire). I'm positive that you will find many like-minded NIMBY friends there. And then you will never have to worry about the dynamism of a growing city ever again.