Sign in to follow this  
Subdude

BBVA Compass Stadium

Manchester United will play vs. MLS all-stars in the MLS all-star game in a few months at Reliant Stadium. I wonder if we even had our new stadium up by now if they would play there? I doubt it; kinda sad in a way, but at the same time understandable.

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2010/05/manchester_united_to_face_mls.html

Manchester United will play vs. MLS all-stars in the MLS all-star game in a few months at Reliant Stadium. I wonder if we even had our new stadium up by now if they would play there? I doubt it; kinda sad in a way, but at the same time understandable.

http://www.nj.com/so...o_face_mls.html

That should easily draw over 21,000 so even if it was built I think they would be having this at Reliant. They might even fill that place.

In the past, the MLS game has been played at soccer specific stadiums if the host had one (Chicago, LA, Toronto, Columbus), even with options to play at bigger stadiums like Reliant. Though I agree that none of the opponents in the past would have had as big of a draw as ManU. But its hard to say where it would have been if the Dynamo stadium was brand new this year.

and I doubt Reliant will fill up, the only sold out match I've seen there is when the Mexico national team was there for the Gold Cup. USMNT doesn't even fill it up completely (though they haven't been here for a Tourne that matters).

I think Olive Luck said last night that the expect over 10,000 Manu fans to travel with the team throughout their USA tour. That should help.

That sounds like a lot.

If you've ever wondered what English football hooligans are like, this would be a good time to start drinking at the Richmond Arms. Unlike the relatively mannered ManU fans, lots of Tottenham and Chelsea people there.

Looks like Oliver Luck to be named new AD over his alma mater West Virginia.

World Cup fever has me excited about the MlS All star Game. Go Dynamo Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!

I probably know more than you do, so I won't take your bet.

I see him here until the completion of the stadium.

Looks like we were both wrong. I was off by 7 months.

Was driving by a few days ago and I noticed there was some work that was being done on the site. Anyone know if it was just some basic prep-work?

007.jpg

003.jpg

Nice to see! I remember there being an article in the Chron not too long ago saying construction was going to start soon, and they plan on opening the stadium in 2012. They plan on having the Dynamo play a lot of road games during the first couple of weeks in the season, and then have their home opener at the stadium.

Was driving by a few days ago and I noticed there was some work that was being done on the site. Anyone know if it was just some basic prep-work?

007.jpg

003.jpg

That work has nothing to do with the stadium. They are doing street improvements in the area and have been using the empty lots as staging areas. They bring in piles of dirt, or pipe, and then take them away.

You can see one of the improved intersections in the foreground. There where the orange cone is and the new handicapped ramp.

I live in Lofts at the Ballpark and keep a close eye on any work that is actually being done.

• Like 1

OK. Some work that has more to do with the stadium. Centerpoint appears to be working on the electrical lines on the site and getting ready to put in new power poles. Still not actual stadium construction but closer.

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

Two semi-related aspects to be proud of and worth sharing:

You mean THIS LINK? HAIF doesn't play well with raw links.

From Chris Canetti (new President who replaced Luck):

"While on the subject of the new stadium, and coming off of a match that was ridden with football lines, I want to let you know that we do not intend to play soccer games with football lines in the new facility. Texas Southern University will play its home football games there, but we are addressing this situation now so that we can have the proper knowledge, plans, and technology to make sure that our intentions are met."
Edited by skwatra
  • Like 1

From Chris Canetti (new President who replaced Luck):

I was kinda' wondering about the lines. Glad to hear they're going to address it since the two seasons have a BIT of an overlap.

Populous has added this project to their website.

The Link

Finally! Nice catch.

From the link:

The 22,000-seat stadium (with expansion capacity to 30,000 seats) will be designed to feature soccer and accommodate multi-use events such as football, lacrosse, rugby and concerts. The design approach makes use of simple and common materials that refer to the area's industrial heritage, while creating a distinctive civic landmark in an emerging urban neighborhood. A tessellated exterior skin mediates the scale of its context while defining a bold architectural statement in the Houston skyline. Composed of geometrically composed expanded metal sheets and orange polycarbonate infill, this continuous exterior surface surrounds the stadium and provides a dynamic sense of enclosure while enhancing the spectator experience.

Highlighted in orange polycarbonate, articulated openings in the skin range from 3-story general spectator entries to pedestrian scaled ticketing window. The interior concourse continues this theme, with the bowl underside expressed with the team's orange colors to enliven the space.

I really like the idea behind the design and the materials they'll use. This description makes me excited for it to be built.

Finally! Nice catch.

From the link:

I really like the idea behind the design and the materials they'll use. This description makes me excited for it to be built.

The renderings on the site are also new/updated although you need to be good at those "spot the difference" cartoon panels to pick up the changes, so that leads me to believe that this is probably very close to the final look we will get.

I may not be remembering rightly, but isn't the land being turned over to the dynamo this month?

Should start seeing some work happening maybe soon?

I don't give a flip about the Dynamo but I'm for it. What's your deal?

My wishes to have this built are contrary to some larger issues I recently had to deal with.

heard on the radio that construction is likely to begin in dec. along with a groundbreaking ceremony/party.

On what station did you hear this?

At this point in the game, I'm thinking construction could actually kickoff even sooner than that....

On what station did you hear this?

At this point in the game, I'm thinking construction could actually kickoff even sooner than that....

790, they have a soccer talk show at 7pm. They said that on Monday, I think.

No new pictures but some more details from meeting last night:

• Dec 2010 ground-breaking confirmed. This means complete handover and all utility/excavation done by city/other entities.
  • The stage will be on the southern part, where offices and locker room would be. They will be less noticeable and covered by/under seats. dry.gif Could of been worse.

• Also, steel or good foundation/skeleton of the stadium should be firm around Spring 2011 time and general shape of stadium will start to rise shortly thereafter. ^_^

Edited by JJVilla

Hey guys, I'm new here but figured I could share this link

http://dynamo2012.my...t_file=main.htm

Its a live construction cam for the dynamo stadium that I found on Bigsoccer. Pretty cool to watch as soon as we see some activity.

I'm not sure if that's cool or seriously creepy considering I live a few blocks from there.

I'm not sure if that's cool or seriously creepy considering I live a few blocks from there.

Both.

New info:

The LATEST the construction will start will be mid January. No reason what would factor in the date.

In regards to the football lines being visible during the soccer season, some new paint technology will make it so it will simply wash or blow away.

Expansion: Turns out it CAN be expanded to put in my seats near one of the endzones...but again, no details on the matter.

That's all I got.

WG? was on the plans. Anyone know who that could be?

If they build it, hell even I might come. but only on a guys' night out kind of thing where I can get just drunk enough to not notice that soccer is boring.

If they build it, hell even I might come. but only on a guys' night out kind of thing where I can get just drunk enough to not notice that soccer is boring.

that's what i do for baseball games.

so I was having a party the other day and to make sure i didn't disturb my neighbors/get the cops called on me... i invited my neighbors. one of the girls works for Dynamo and is apparently helping to organize the ground breaking event. She says "fingers crossed", they hope to break ground next month. I have no other insight into this actually happening other than what she said, so we shall see....

• Like 1

Any news on groundbreaking or has anyone been by the site recently?

just drove by it earlier this week.

There's a dumpster, but don't know how long it's been there.

Just found this PDF from the building company.

Has a timeline of the building, which appears to already be behind, but it should be fine.

Has the same view of the previous renderings but morre detailed of a picture. I think it looks pretty sweet.

Manhattan Construction - PDF

• Like 2