Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

I really don't like it all that they will have to share the facility with a football team. I can't believe that Houston can't come up with something better than this.

<_<

Whether it's at the college, high school, or pee-wee level, any soccer stadium in downtown Houston WILL have football played in it. It's just a fact: A lot of football is played in this town and there's money to be made by hosting it. TSU is pretty much only good for sucking dollars out of the state government, so if their funds go to a soccer stadium for the city rather than a china hutch for the new school president, I consider us all to be coming out ahead.

I really don't like it all that they will have to share the facility with a football team. I can't believe that Houston can't come up with something better than this.

<_<

Do you display this same level of outrage when the Stones play at Wembley, or the Pope says mass at Shea? Does mixed use only apply to midrises with Starbucks on the first floor? I have to admit that, though I have become a big soccer fan since the Dynamo have arrived, the highbrow attitude that nothing else can touch the soccer pitch has become quite annoying. The gripe about playing soccer in an American football stadium is about the field dimensions, not the fact that some other sport may be played in the shrine. If a stadium built to soccer dimensions can accomodate TSU's Tigers, or the Dave Matthews band, so be it. It's not like the MLS is choking on cash and can afford to ignore positive cash flow.

Do you display this same level of outrage when the Stones play at Wembley, or the Pope says mass at Shea? Does mixed use only apply to midrises with Starbucks on the first floor? I have to admit that, though I have become a big soccer fan since the Dynamo have arrived, the highbrow attitude that nothing else can touch the soccer pitch has become quite annoying. The gripe about playing soccer in an American football stadium is about the field dimensions, not the fact that some other sport may be played in the shrine. If a stadium built to soccer dimensions can accomodate TSU's Tigers, or the Dave Matthews band, so be it. It's not like the MLS is choking on cash and can afford to ignore positive cash flow.

Wow, that actually makes sense...good to hear!!

Nah, it isn't that I have a problem with the idea of mixed use as much as native pride: you know, other cities get soccer-only stadiums, so why shouldn't we?

Nah, it isn't that I have a problem with the idea of mixed use as much as native pride: you know, other cities get soccer-only stadiums, so why shouldn't we?

Well, I've read on the soccer boards people complaining of concerts in their stadium and whatnot. I think it is a silly argument. It is also a waste of money. I can see separating baseball and football stadiums, due to odd field dimensions. I can even understand separate facilties for high capacity American football and lower capacity soccer. But, not letting anyone else use the facility foregoes badly needed revenue that could buy better players.

Not true. High school games and concerts are played at other soccer stadiums.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with football in soccer stadiums, especially when it means more revenue into the stadium. The only issue would be if the soccer field were covered in gridiron lines on game-day after so much money were spent on making it soccer-specific. I doubt that's going to happen in Houston though because Dynamo would be the majority owners of the stadium and would probably get first dibs on scheduling and groundskeeping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
More news on the stadium...Glad to see the Dynamo stay; hopefully the deal won't slow negotiations to build a new home.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ts/5854535.html

Baby steps, perhaps....

From the HBJ City to oversee huge sports multi-use complex

"
Part of the facility will house a practice field for use by the
professional soccer club that would include site improvements paid for by the team."

Edited by Porchman

AEG's Tim Leiweke and Mayor White had a 1-2 hour meeting on the day of the soccer complex opening for stadium negotiations:

Dynamo exec says he's optimistic about stadium

DynamoPlanet.com mention on stadium talks

White also met with Leiweke for more than an hour as both sides work toward a stadium deal.

"We had a good meeting," Leiweke said. "Today was significant because I think we're down to one or two issues

• 3 weeks later...
I'm glad they were able to negotiate an extension at Robertson, but the city needs to face facts - if they can't come up with a stadium deal the Dynamo will leave, full stop.

From various (public sources) its seems that much progess has been made on the negotiations.

On another note, the condition of the playing field at Robertson is (at least) an absolute embarassment. The team is paying to play (with pretty generous incentives above rent) to U of H, so they should keep the field at least above third world standards. I am not even talking about the same level as the average Mexican team, either.

I heard the field was bad. How bad?

Also, I'm glad that things are coming along, but they keep on telling us two weeks later, and we hear nothing. I keep hearing Oliver Luck on various sports stations but always catch the tail end so I don't know if he ever mentions the stadium.

I heard the field was bad. How bad?

Also, I'm glad that things are coming along, but they keep on telling us two weeks later, and we hear nothing. I keep hearing Oliver Luck on various sports stations but always catch the tail end so I don't know if he ever mentions the stadium.

He mentions the stadium almost every interview over the past week. He again says, "It is very close, Two more weeks" but lately he talks about the lawyers will do the paper work and then construction will start after the new year....

edit... The field is pathetic at best - An embarrassment to the city and university

Edited by Ethanra

He mentions the stadium almost every interview over the past week. He again says, "It is very close, Two more weeks" but lately he talks about the lawyers will do the paper work and then construction will start after the new year....

edit... The field is pathetic at best - An embarrassment to the city and university

Is it just brown? Or are there just holes everywhere? I'm guessing this has more to do with just watering.

• 4 weeks later...

Does any one know which side is holding it up? If I was the dynamo then I would tell the city of Houston no stadium no team. Houston keeps growing and a huge chunck of the population really like watching them. I am starting to think the city does not care for this team or their new stadium and it wont get built, or maybe we get more info for real in two more weeks.

Does any one know which side is holding it up? If I was the dynamo then I would tell the city of Houston no stadium no team. Houston keeps growing and a huge chunck of the population really like watching them. I am starting to think the city does not care for this team or their new stadium and it wont get built, or maybe we get more info for real in two more weeks.

An announcement is expected by the end of September (the end of summer), and according to the news, there's only one or two major issue left on the table until the deal is finalized. Though that hasn't been made public yet, more than likely the hold-up is deciding who will finance what for the stadium and how much. Both sides sound dedicated to trying to get the deal done though.

My suggestion is to not expect any announcements this month. Expect it to happen in September.