Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

He brought up his arguments very well on that matter, but I know people just won't use MetroRail to get to downtown, residences might find alternate means of travel to get there once traffic gets too heavy and parking in downtown gets maddening.

Well most of his argument was on the limited number of streets to get downtown, not so much the light rail. I think he said before GRB, there were 9 streets that had straight access, but if the dynamo stadium gets built, it'll be down to 2. That's rough. We don't know the future, but really, do a lot of people get to downtown from the east end?

As it stands, that part of town isn't as densely populated as The Montrose or the Northside and are heavy users of the Metro Transit system. As the area gentrifies and gets more dense, I would suspect that a number of residents, if they're close enough like I was, would use the I-45 feeder, Canal, I-10.

If you're coming in from the immediate north, you only have North main, I-45, San Jacinto, and Hardy for coming into downtown.

We don't know the future, but really, do a lot of people get to downtown from the east end?

The east end isn't an issue now, but with all of development that will no doubt happen, it would eventually become a nightmare. Also it seems that those coming from the West would be dealing with high traffic volumes for games all going down to Texas and Polk. That could be very messy.

Well, it is my hope that people would not be parking THAT close and eventually decide taking the rail would be easier.

Tell you what, if the Astros, Dynamo, Rockets, AND an event is held at the GRB the same time, I do expect a few suicides in traffic.

The east end isn't an issue now, but with all of development that will no doubt happen, it would eventually become a nightmare. Also it seems that those coming from the West would be dealing with high traffic volumes for games all going down to Texas and Polk. That could be very messy.

The streets getting shut off by the stadium aren't really consequential to more than a couple dozen blocks of the East End. People living deeper in the area than just the warehouse district don't really use the blocked streets. My big concern, though, is that METRO may re-align its light rail down Texas/Harrisburg, and that that is what would eliminate a lot of that road's capacity and create congestion.

The streets getting shut off by the stadium aren't really consequential to more than a couple dozen blocks of the East End. People living deeper in the area than just the warehouse district don't really use the blocked streets. My big concern, though, is that METRO may re-align its light rail down Texas/Harrisburg, and that that is what would eliminate a lot of that road's capacity and create congestion.

That goes back to what I was saying about those trying to acess the stadium from the West. It would seem that both Texas and Polk would be packed at these times, not to mention the possible rail down Texas which would further the problem.

I think the fears are slightly overblown. To begin with, the stadium will have a capacity of 22,000, one half that of Minute Maid. The parking lots east of Minute Maid will not be impacted. There is not much traffic on Capital and Rusk at the location. Traffic from I-45 South and US 59 South will come up Dowling and Chatres, as it does for baseball. US 59 North and I-45 North and I-10 West will come in on Franklin and Texas, as it does now. I-10 East will also not be impacted.

The fact is, the overwhelming amount of parking occurs in the MMP lot and lots west of the 59 overpass. These lots will not be impacted by the new stadium. If the east side fills with townhomes, as is predicted, even less parking will occur east of the stadium.

Since most parking will occur north and west of the stadium, the only impact will be to those residents living east of the stdium who are going downtown. And even then, we are only talking about a few dozen residents directly east of the stadium. Anyone south of the GRB is going to use Polk, Leeland or Pease to come into downtown. Anyone north of Texas is going to use Congress. Anyone east of the GRB and west or south of the stadium already goes up Chartres to Capital, or south to Polk to get into downtown. This will not change. ONLY those east of the stadium will be forced to drive a couple of blocks north or south to get into downtown. A couple of turns in your one-half mile journey from the eastside to downtown is not a lot to ask. The main north-south thoroughfares into the are are not impacted at all, and the main east-west thoroughfares are not either. As I said before, very little traffic travels down Rusk to the eastside.

Frankly, the FAR bigger disruption to downtown traffic flows was Minute Maid Park itself. The Dynamo Stadium will not cause that much disruption.

I think the fears are slightly overblown. To begin with, the stadium will have a capacity of 22,000, one half that of Minute Maid. The parking lots east of Minute Maid will not be impacted. There is not much traffic on Capital and Rusk at the location. Traffic from I-45 South and US 59 South will come up Dowling and Chatres, as it does for baseball. US 59 North and I-45 North and I-10 West will come in on Franklin and Texas, as it does now. I-10 East will also not be impacted.

The fact is, the overwhelming amount of parking occurs in the MMP lot and lots west of the 59 overpass. These lots will not be impacted by the new stadium. If the east side fills with townhomes, as is predicted, even less parking will occur east of the stadium.

Since most parking will occur north and west of the stadium, the only impact will be to those residents living east of the stdium who are going downtown. And even then, we are only talking about a few dozen residents directly east of the stadium. Anyone south of the GRB is going to use Polk, Leeland or Pease to come into downtown. Anyone north of Texas is going to use Congress. Anyone east of the GRB and west or south of the stadium already goes up Chartres to Capital, or south to Polk to get into downtown. This will not change. ONLY those east of the stadium will be forced to drive a couple of blocks north or south to get into downtown. A couple of turns in your one-half mile journey from the eastside to downtown is not a lot to ask. The main north-south thoroughfares into the are are not impacted at all, and the main east-west thoroughfares are not either. As I said before, very little traffic travels down Rusk to the eastside.

Frankly, the FAR bigger disruption to downtown traffic flows was Minute Maid Park itself. The Dynamo Stadium will not cause that much disruption.

Damn you, Red. You beat me (and more eloquently stated) to the argument I was going to go for, as usual.

Here is larger map of what the blog showed and more of the east side to show what the east side look like

I don't see it as that big of an issue, either. Look at the west side of downtown. The west side is exponentially more populated than the east side, and there are, what, 3 roads that provide access to downtown? All I can think of is Allen Pkwy, Memorial, and Preston. I don't see how the Dynamo Stadium could create more traffic than the west side.

I will admit, though, that the west side funnels in some of the streets to Memorial and Allen Pkwy. If something like that can be done to the East Side, then that might alleviate some worries.

• 3 weeks later...
Tomorrow is the Dynamo's "drop dead" date for stadium negotations with the city and its a little too quiet on the news front.

Has ANYONE heard any news at all?

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com...rticleid=58570

Actually, yes:)

Icon Venue Group, the developer in charge of the project, issued a proposal March 24 requiring a quick turnaround time. Responses are due today, with finalists to be interviewed April 4 in Denver, site of Icon

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com...rticleid=58570

Actually, yes:)

That tells us a few things:

1) We now know that Icon Venue Group are the developers in charge

2) Tomorrow's deadline is very likely to be extended. It seems like they're making progress enough to keep working together on the downtown project.

3) There's a good chance we may see stadium renderings by the end of April. That's just a guess; not official.

This is good news seems to me there are a few minor things to be worked out. Im joing the blue crew, which are a group of volunteers to assist staff during the game. I am excited this season to see the dynamo get a three peat.

• 2 weeks later...

13 had a brief blurb concerning the stadium. they stated that the mayor was irritated after receiving a letter from the soccer league. seems the league is having problems with the pace of the stadium negotiations. (stalled is the word used). the letter also said that if something doesn't happen, they will shop around in other cities.

13 had a brief blurb concerning the stadium. they stated that the mayor was irritated after receiving a letter from the soccer league. seems the league is having problems with the pace of the stadium negotiations. (stalled is the word used). the letter also said that if something doesn't happen, they will shop around in other cities.

buh-bye :)

Minor league soccer?

Take a look at minor league hockey and baseball and you will see salaries that exceed those of the MLS. WNBA, arena football and a few other minor leagues are in the salary vicinity of a lot of MLS. It is pretty factual. I think the three big sports have player's salaries that exceed an entire team in the MLS's salary cap of 2.4 million.

So yes....minor league soccer

Edited by shady 75

Okay..

Just wait and you'll be surprised at the MLS in a few short years. There is a reason why many cities are designing new stadiums to lure a MLS team. There is a reason why it is the only league expanding and adding new teams. Houston should be happy it has a team (and two-time champions at that). Design them a nice, new modern stadium on the rail line.

Oh no...a minor league soccer team is threatening the city. Please come back and talk when your minimum player salary is over 12k. What a joke. See ya!

MLS = MAJOR league soccer... not minor. And what's salary got to do w/ it... look at how much they pay the football and baseball players and they suck... at least the Dynamo can win championships. -_-

Edited by HtownWxBoy

MLS = MAJOR league soccer... not minor. And what's salary got to do w/ it... look at how much they pay the football and baseball players and they suck... at least the Dynamo can win championships. -_-

Sure...I will bring it up next time I have one of the Dynamo reserves bring my car up from valet. Yes you are a Major League Player. Here is your tip. lol

Take a look at minor league hockey and baseball and you will see salaries that exceed those of the MLS. WNBA, arena football and a few other minor leagues are in the salary vicinity of a lot of MLS. It is pretty factual. I think the three big sports have player's salaries that exceed an entire team in the MLS's salary cap of 2.4 million.

So yes....minor league soccer

If salary is what you base what makes a league major or minor league, then how many minor leagues do you know have any players with a salary of over $1 Million a year?