Shell Energy Stadium

Subdude

You are right it isn't the barrier it once was, but I still think there are people who see it that way. I just want the surroundings to be as "safe-appearing" as possible to help the new stadium be successful as possible, and it is never pleasant having to walk under an elevated freeway. I also hope they don't cram a parking garage between the Eastex and MMP. The tower was designed there as a nice kind of signpost, and a parking garage would ruin the view of MMP from 59.

I don't have any expectations that the proposed Dynamo stadium will lead to any more redevelopment in the area. Minute Maid Park had far less of an impact than originally anticipated. The ugly dangerous buildings nearby will probably remain so. Still, I like the idea of using the surface lot location, just to keep the stadium as close as possible to MMP and the "comfort zone" around there. My concern is that the Eastex forms kind of a barrier, and that some people might be hesitant about venturing to the other side because it is East End. I know that sounds silly, but believe me, I have spoken to people who have never been on that side of the freeway because they think it is too dangerous. I think it will work best if the architects do everything possible to orient the new stadium toward downtown and minimize the impression of a barrier (which is tough to do with an elevated freeway).

i think some development might occur in the old chinatown area. that area seems to be migrating elsewhere and it might be ripe for redevelopment. the infrastructure seems to be better too. the GRB appears to have isolated it enough from downtown that some merchants have closed up shop.

That would be nice.

Take over a building and develop it our own selves. Would be fun, we'd be a great group of DYI guys. The occasional mishap as a forum member would occasionally fall by "accident".

Red: "Pity Montrose had to fall like that."

Lock: "Terribly so. Felt sorry for the dog he landed on, though."

Me: "Nah, I didn't like his argument on his latest thread. 'scuse me, I gotta go hide this knife."

Musicman: "Can I have his user number? He's not going to use it anymore."

Red: "Pity Montrose had to fall like that."

Lock: "Terribly so. Felt sorry for the dog he landed on, though."

Me: "Nah, I didn't like his argument on his latest thread. 'scuse me, I gotta go hide this knife."

Musicman: "Can I have his user number? He's not going to use it anymore."

lol

I truly believe this project is further along then any of us know of. I expect a big announcement by the middle of July. What I have gathered from rumors in the Houston soccer world and from someone who is some-what close to this situation the stadium has a lot of support from Drayton, the city, Oliver Luck, and Garcia to be built on LOT C by MMP. A parking garage(s) will be built in the area as well. As far as fields for the youth program and other soccer needs, I'm not sure where they will be (haven't heard any news on that). The stadium will hold approx. 22,000 and cost about 70 million. The stadium has a good chance of breaking ground this year and be ready for the 2010 season. Also the east-side BRT will run right along the south side of the stadium, which a stop will be placed next to the stadium. I know some of this info is the same stuff from a few days ago but this is what I have heard over the last two days.

IMO this stadium will be built on LOT C and will be one of the top soccer facilities in the nation. This is a very exciting project and will bring an extra element to the east-side of 59.

quetstion- Does the DT neighborhood stop at 59 and if so, East of 59 is that neighborhood considered 2nd ward? Is their a map that shows the name of areas inside the loop with the boundaries? Thankyou---

quetstion- Does the DT neighborhood stop at 59 and if so, East of 59 is that neighborhood considered 2nd ward? Is their a map that shows the name of areas inside the loop with the boundaries? Thankyou---

2nd Ward starts at the railroad tracks East of the site. Lot C, MMP, 59 etc, are all outside the western edge of the 2nd ward.

The way construction is starting to go, I'm sure there won't be any empty lots in about 10-15 years within the downtown bounders (unless they blow up a few buildings), i'm wondering if downtown would jump the pierce elevated or the eastex freeway towards the east.

Well, if they want to keep building up Downtown, and hopefully they do, they will either have to build UP or OUT.... Hopefully more UP than OUT!

Well, if they want to keep building up Downtown, and hopefully they do, they will either have to build UP or OUT.... Hopefully more UP than OUT!

Building up would probably be much smarter. They could use the extra parking space I assume. Either way, this could be the best thing that ever happened for both Dynamo and East End!

From SkyscraperPage:

Team and the City agreed to terms...

70 Million dollar Stadium going up just east of Minute Maid Park..

The team owners will pay most of the cost for the stadium..

in the pre-design it showed the stadium in a diagonal direction from 59 and it will keep some distance from 59 at least in the pre-design at least. Stadium looks dwarfed by MMP though =X

dynamosite2.jpg

Edited by Trae

If they had a no compete clause with the Toyota Center.... How did MMP get to host the Jimmy Buffet concert?

I think MMP is exempt from the no-compete clause because it was built before Toyota Center. I may be wrong there, but I'm pretty sure Toyota Center, Reliant Stadium, and others built before '03 are excused from the clause.

Hopefully, Alexander is supportive of the downtown Dynamo stadium idea. I think he will too, so long as he has a say in certain things and talks with Dynamo's owner, AEG. AEG runs a lot of tours to Toyota Center too, so I'm sure between now and July, AEG and Alexander will talk and make sure they're on the same page.

• 2 weeks later...
... toyota center has a non compete clause and the new stadium will have to get a waiver for it to work.

Any word on the status of this? Was there also a deadline that this deal had to be worked by? and if so has that been extended in order to work out the no-compete clause?

I'm really hopeing that they get the chance to build this. As others have said, this would be a big boost for the east end, and downtown in general really.

• 2 weeks later...
Any word on the status of this? Was there also a deadline that this deal had to be worked by? and if so has that been extended in order to work out the no-compete clause?

I'm really hopeing that they get the chance to build this. As others have said, this would be a big boost for the east end, and downtown in general really.

Like a month or so ago they were saying the deal was near completion. Sounds like it's stalling to me.

... it's going to be so great if they build it Downtown!

I could not agree more. Downtown is growing and with this stadium it is going to bring more money and people into downtown. I hope it is another retractable stadium that stands out and people know its in Houston like the Skydome in Toronto. Is that asking to much for a soccer team because the only timed I watched them was when they won the championship and have not watched them since.

I could not agree more. Downtown is growing and with this stadium it is going to bring more money and people into downtown. I hope it is another retractable stadium that stands out and people know its in Houston like the Skydome in Toronto. Is that asking to much for a soccer team because the only timed I watched them was when they won the championship and have not watched them since.

I highly doubt it will have a retractable roof... will probably just be a basic stadium... and that's totally fine w/ me as long as it's Downtown.

This stadium is supposed to be around 70 Million and the Berry Center in CFISD was @ about 89 Million, although it dose include an arena. I wonder how much more it would take to get a retractable roof On the Dynamo Stadium. I will just settle for a great veiw of the Downtown Skyline.