Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

j_cuevas713

12 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Can you post the article? I was just thinking about Finn Hall today. Is it empty now?

Ah, it was Culture Map actually. It's a great article with the inside complexities of this food hall. The interesting parts are further down in the article with the disputes and Finn Hall's future:

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-06-20-finn-hall-downtown-food-hall-new-vendors-lit-chicken-papalo-taqueria-pho-binh-david-buehrer-midway-lionstone-investment/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triton said:

I think we could very well witness the closure of some local Houston bars and restaurants. 

As someone who has worked in that industry for awhile now this is a massive understatement. If we have to socially distance past May there won’t be many restaurants left unless the government really steps up to the plate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yes it is truly a sad state of affairs...

I am seeing so may friends already struggle and that was in hopes of tomorrow being the last day of the stay at home order...but now that this has been extended until the end of the month, it is truly frightening.

I have also gotten a handful of emails from various clients saying goodbye from having to close or those being laid off...

what is this world now? wow...

thoughts (or prayers) for everyone...

xo

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Big E said:

Its being built that way because of the of the Texas Capitol View Corridors, which forces the taller buildings to be built with these weird shapes so as not to obstruct views of the Capital building.

True to a point, but they could have made the different components more homogeneous. Of course, some people like the look they chose.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gene said:

Yes it is truly a sad state of affairs...

I am seeing so may friends already struggle and that was in hopes of tomorrow being the last day of the stay at home order...but now that this has been extended until the end of the month, it is truly frightening.

I have also gotten a handful of emails from various clients saying goodbye from having to close or those being laid off...

what is this world now? wow...

thoughts (or prayers) for everyone...

xo

I am guessing the places that have been successful and well-run will be able to get loans to make it through. When I see a place like the downtown Hard Rock Cafe already closing, it makes me think they weren't that successful and knew the writing was on the wall.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I am guessing the places that have been successful and well-run will be able to get loans to make it through. When I see a place like the downtown Hard Rock Cafe already closing, it makes me think they weren't that successful and knew the writing was on the wall.

I dont known ...I think 20 years for a concept that was played out 19 years ago...can be considered successful 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Triton said:

I think we could very well witness the closure of some local Houston bars and restaurants. These places function on small margins.... any major event like this can be death for those type of businesses. Highly encourage people to read a recent Houston Chron article about the restaurants that had to leave Finn Hall. Gives you some good incite about the middle men that some restaurants have to work with which further cut into their margins. 

The middle-man was apparently intense there but, to be honest, I think a lot of the closings there came as a result of the lack of quality overall of the food.  Mala was still pretty legit but a lot of people can't handle sichuan spice and so they need a lot of traffic in the place to get enough people that can.  There were a lot of subpar food options there.  I live and work downtown and barely went.  My coworkers who went said the food was bad.  I think that the management group that charged all of that money failed good places like Mala by surrounding them with options that wouldn't increase traffic.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Coronavirus Delays
On 3/28/2020 at 11:25 PM, H-Town Man said:

Do you know if 6X Guadalupe ever started, other than demoing the previous building? That could be a huge casualty of this virus.

Yeah, they started column construction and the first crane was scheduled to go up the weekend after the City's SiP Order shutdown construction.  It may start up again because the State order is more favorable to construction and supercedes the City order. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Mala was still pretty legit but a lot of people can't handle sichuan spice and so they need a lot of traffic in the place to get enough people that can.

I would say the opposite.  Rather than being like the other Mala Sichuan restaurants (which are excellent, or at least the Chinatown location was), they had a greatly reduced menu that had too much American Chinese food and very few of the offerings that made their other locations great.  There were only like 2-3 traditional dishes on the menu.  I was really looking forward to them opening, because downtown had no proper Chinese food, meaning they had the potential to fill a very valuable niche, but instead all we ended up with was basically another American Chinese place but with prices far too high to compete with the others downtown.  Look around town and fairly authentic Sichuan-style places are opening up everywhere -- Cooking Girl, Pepper Twins, Spicy Girl, etc -- so there is clearly a lot of demand, but so far nobody has attempted this downtown.

Now that the middleman has been removed at Finn Hall we might finally see prices adjust to be more reasonable, because despite working across the street from it, I very rarely went because their prices just weren't competitive.

• Like 2

we are in scary unknown times now.  however, if ANY CITY can bounce back from these odds, HOUSTON is the place.  So, let's try to stay upbeat while hunkering down during this crisis of social distancing and a pandemic that is under no one's control, yet.  Everyone, please stay safe and courteous as most Houstonians have been doing, indeed, most Americans are still doing, since this won't end anytime soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

We've now had a couple of larger jobs in design phase in Houston and Austin put on temporary hold by ownership. This will trickle own to construction eventually.  

I'm guessing your not at liberty to be more specific about the projects?

11 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Hey so did Franks offically close their doors? They weren’t open today. 

I saw that franks outdoor patio thing which is a separate entity closed permanently. I don’t know if Franks original pizza place is closed or not.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 11:06 AM, jmitch94 said:

I saw that franks outdoor patio thing which is a separate entity closed permanently. I don’t know if Franks original pizza place is closed or not.

Yeah Franks Backyard is permanently closed but not Franks Pizza. It was Easter, that’s why they were closed this past Sunday. 

• Like 3

just an FYI for the non-construction folks out there.  we have seen an increase in RFP's and RFQ's coming out of the City and County.  Public money is still flowing right now and the last of the approved school bonds are all bidding.

There is definitely a fall of in the hospitality side, many projects are getting put on hold or are back with the architects for "design refinements".

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
  • The topic was unpinned