This is more of a question than a topic of conversation, but I couldn't find a whole lot of information so I was wondering if anyone had any news regarding this topic. I know back after Hurricane Ike hit the trolleys were damaged (not the bus trolleys) and that they were undergoing restoration.

I had seen articles as recent as last year indicating they were close to coming back, but they weren't there when I traveled there in May of last year and haven't been back since. Does anyone know if they are operating again or is this one of those projects that is dragging along? Any word on when they may come back?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

This is more of a question than a topic of conversation, but I couldn't find a whole lot of information so I was wondering if anyone had any news regarding this topic. I know back after Hurricane Ike hit the trolleys were damaged (not the bus trolleys) and that they were undergoing restoration.

I had seen articles as recent as last year indicating they were close to coming back, but they weren't there when I traveled there in May of last year and haven't been back since. Does anyone know if they are operating again or is this one of those projects that is dragging along? Any word on when they may come back?

I want them back...

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...
14 hours ago, cspwal said:

They might not be legal to just put on the main lines.  The metro LRV are standard gauge, but aren't up to DOT standards to be be on the mainline tracks

If the gauge matches, they could surely get permission to run them on the main lines to get them off the island for emergency purposes.  However, since the tracks are not connected at any place, they would have to transport the cars to the main lines in some way.  Once they have loaded them up to transfer them to the main lines, it seems it might be just as easy to keep them loaded and haul them off the island.

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I don't know if this was the intent behind building them in the first place, but a benefit of the trolleys is that they would encourage beach tourists to park in the strand/downtown in the parking garages there. People think the trolleys are cool and unlike a bus they seem safe and will take them where they want to go, which is down to the seawall. This is a graceful and fair solution to the problem that is tourist parking near beaches, it is better than either building huge surface lots by the seawall or alternatively not having enough parking and excluding visitors from Houston who have been coming to Galveston since the early 1900s.

Another thought is that when tourists park in the strand area they are more likely to eat and drink and buy stuff from local restaurants and shops that in between.

Also if people's cars are parked in a parking garage a mile from the beach they won't take coolers full of beer in glass bottles or whatever else...

Now there needs to be a train from Houston to Galveston again. It would make going to the beach a lot more accessible while reducing weekend traffic congestion from the island and during storm events the train would be a high capacity evacuation shuttle.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, zaphod said:

Now there needs to be a train from Houston to Galveston again. It would make going to the beach a lot more accessible while reducing weekend traffic congestion from the island and during storm events the train would be a high capacity evacuation shuttle.

Ideally the train should leave from East downtown, have a few stops on the way (maybe move Bay Area park and ride 2 blocks west to the train tracks and have a commuter rail station?) and terminate in Galveston

it would need to run 7 days a week at least every 30 minutes to really be useful; probably would mean at least 4 train sets. Biggest problem is just getting in/out of downtown Houston - that line is always busy with freight traffic 

• Like 3