Sweetgreen Restaurant At 820 Main St.

wilcal

This is the same block as the JW Marriott. It's in the ground floor retail in the parking garage across from Bombay Pizza Co.

Will be interesting to see what hours they keep.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/3/4/21164599/sweetgreen-downtown-houston-salads-coming-soon

Sweetgreen plots its third Houston location

Get ready for Guacamole Greens salad bowls downtown: beloved salad chain Sweetgreen has another Houston outposts in the works. CultureMap Houston reports that it will move into 820 Main Street, according to a company announcement. “Sweetgreen is heading downtown! We still have some work to do, but we’ll keep you in the loop as opening day approaches,” the website reads. The company debuted in Rice Village in 2019, then added a second outpost in Montrose.

Yep, this spot has been vacant for about a decade so it's nice to see something finally going on.  I took a photo of it on the 28th but never got around to finding the thread for the Walker@Main garage where I thought it belonged, so I guess this new thread works!

clDGhh4.jpg

9 minutes ago, Urban Monster said:

So happy to see this! I believe that space has actually been vacant since the garage opened in 2006? 

prior to the JW opening and BG Place being built, that block was skanky as all get out. Massive turnaround right there. 

2 hours ago, Nate99 said:

prior to the JW opening and BG Place being built, that block was skanky as all get out. Massive turnaround right there. 

Sure was! Maybe the sketchiest block downtown at the time, and that’s saying A LOT for that time. Although, I’m still a little sad they tore down the West building across the street. BG Place has very little appeal at ground level. Very disappointing. 

12 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

What’s the deal with the empty building between the garage and the JW?

Any hopes of it being renovated into a hotel?

Swamplot reported that it was purchased by Pearl Hospitality, who owns the JW Marriott in December 2018. 

http://swamplot.com/abandoned-battlesteins-building-bought-by-its-main-st-marriott-neighbor/2018-12-12/

Not sure if this means anything, but the ownership history on HCAD hasn't changed since 1999 😕 Hopefully the deal didn't fall through. 

We had a discussion on here around the time of the sale, but I can't find it. 

14 hours ago, Urban Monster said:

Sure was! Maybe the sketchiest block downtown at the time, and that’s saying A LOT for that time. Although, I’m still a little sad they tore down the West building across the street. BG Place has very little appeal at ground level. Very disappointing. 

Ideally it would have been neat to repurpose the West building, but I don't remember that much about it honestly, apart from wanting to get the heck away from it whenever I went by, but that's not its fault directly.  The Montagu would have needed a redo as well. On net, can't complain. 

I did not know it was that spot. Woooow. If Sweetgreen can make it there, DT has turned a corner. People may laugh at that statement, but that used to just be people sleeping next to those windows at like 8pm. Walking by that when going to a Rox game or going bowling that retail portion made that area feel so desolate.

Now that I think about it, if DT really wants to change downtown, doing whatever it takes to facilitate businesses taking those leases for the empty GFR near areas where they want people would go a loooong way to making DT feel more friendly and vibrant. 

3 hours ago, X.R. said:

Now that I think about it, if DT really wants to change downtown, doing whatever it takes to facilitate businesses taking those leases for the empty GFR near areas where they want people would go a loooong way to making DT feel more friendly and vibrant. 

Tax abatement to keep GFR filled in certain areas?

On 3/5/2020 at 2:55 PM, BeerNut said:

Tax abatement to keep GFR filled in certain areas?

Are you talking about a tax abatement for the landlord or for the tenants? City could refund their portion of the sales tax, but that's only 1% which probably doesn't go very far. 

1 minute ago, wilcal said:

Are you talking about a tax abatement for the landlord or for the tenants? City could refund their portion of the sales tax, but that's only 1% which probably doesn't go very far. 

I was just thinking out loud.  Would probably need to be for the landlord, only concern would be the landlord gaming the incentive.  

• The title was changed to Sweetgreen Going Into 820 Main St.
  • The title was changed to Sweetgreen Restaurant At 820 Main St.

Archived