Houston-Galveston Area Council's 4 Year Transportation Plan

Triton

Here’s your chance to weigh in on Houston planners’ $9.8B plan for freeway, transit projects

A 10-lane Interstate 10 to Waller County and a new $100 million express bus line along Westheimer are among $9.8 billion in upcoming highway and transit projects around the Houston area, part of a road map of projects regional planners will detail later this week.

To satisfy federal funding requirements, metro regions must have an approved transportation improvement program, or TIP, that lays out the next four years of projects. The plan is updated annually, with the proposed plan up for comment covering every major road project from 2021 through 2014, across the eight-county Houston region.

Some of the most notable additions from previous years would widen freeways farther from Houston’s core. Among them:

Three projects totaling $265 million to create an eight-lane freeway along an alternate route of Texas 35, south from Interstate 45 to Bellfort, set to start construction in 2022.

Two additional managed lanes and two general-use lanes in each direction along I-10 from Mason Road to Waller County, costing $571 million across three projects scheduled for late 2022.

The plan also includes $3.6 billion across six projects for the first phases of the total rebuild of Interstate 45 and the downtown freeway system. The first projects of that rebuild, which remains controversial, tentatively are set for late 2021. Another $3.1 billion of the upcoming work is not included in the TIP but could be added if future funding is found.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Here-s-your-chance-to-weigh-in-on-Houston-15099992.php#photo-19118001

Interactive Map:

https://h-gac.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=603c774abba745c69b0de5c68b659dc1

12 hours ago, Triton said:

eight-lane freeway along an alternate route of Texas 35, south from Interstate 45 to Bellfort, set to start construction in 2022.

The right of way is already acquired to Griggs it looks like for the Spur 5 extension - here's the thread for it 

I hope that they work with Metro and UP to make sure that the mess at Griggs/Long/Mykawa doesn't get worse; right now there's:

- one road going NW - SE, which is Griggs before the intersection and Long Dr after.  That's where the purple line is planned to go down

- Griggs road going NE

- Mykawa road going South

- Main line track going NE - SW

- Main line track goign North - South

- a track to change from the two mainlines

Now add a 6 lane highway and 2 tracks for a light rail?  This is going to be a mess.  Especially if there's going to be an exit to 610 from the extended spur 5

VBMf2gd.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Makeover over of the East Loop 610 Sidney Sherman Bridge. 

Two bridges must be constructed to be feeder rd bridges and higher than the main bridge to avoid taller ships from bumping into the bridge! The feeder rd bridges must total 8 lns! The feeder rd bridges are to take traffic of going to the next intersection from the main rd! Also, traffic can exit in advance to avoid traffic backups on the main rd! Also traffic getting on can get on later! The main bridge is raised and widened to 12 lns! Also, cable towers must be added! Then this is a cable stayed bridge just like bridges in Jacksonville, Fl, Savannah, Ga, and Charleston, SC! 

When was the last time a ship hit the 610 bridge?  I think most of the major terminals are east of 610 for just that reason.  The bridge does need to be replaced, but probably could be a simpler style - the span isn't nearly as long as the BWY 8 bridge, and it doesn't have to go as high either

11 hours ago, cspwal said:

When was the last time a ship hit the 610 bridge?  I think most of the major terminals are east of 610 for just that reason.  The bridge does need to be replaced, but probably could be a simpler style - the span isn't nearly as long as the BWY 8 bridge, and it doesn't have to go as high either

June 1, 2001. I worked nearby when it got hit for the second time in 6 months. By the same shipping company. I guess they didn't let all the other employees know to watch out from the first incident.😡

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Ship-s-boom-hits-Loop-610-bridge-some-lanes-shut-2031912.php

Didn't a big chunk of pavement fall out of the 610 bridge once?  I just wonder how they would possibly replace it without having to close the freeway for years. I guess use eminent domain on the surrounding waterfront industrial properties?

I guess underwater tunnels aren't as popular as they used to be and cable stayed bridges are the standard for large spans now? A tunnel would be advantageous because they could build it while the existing bridge remains in place and then after the tunnel is done they could disassemble the bridge.

Archived