Shepherd Square Shopping Center At 2075 Westheimer Rd.

hindesky

Yeah there is NO way in living heck anyone is touching my Target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

👹

(at least i don't want them to anyway haha!) 

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just thought about this:

You know one thing though that will be a nightmare? The getting in and out of the Target lot as busy as they get and the traffic buildup at Westheimer and Shepherd! That is already horrible especially with people trying to take illegal turns at the light and those wanting to turn left into the exxon heading east bound...

yikes! i wonder what can be done if anything to ever alleviate any of that mess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Roundabout that destroys the Exxon and the bank on the corner

Wouldn't solve anything, but would be quite interesting

Particularly considering that half the drivers around here have absolutely no clue about what to do on a roundabout, and the other half consider the idjits to be good targets to play chicken with. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's very unusual to see a Target in a building that wasn't always a Target. The exterior doesn't really match their brand/look either, but then I hope long term the shopping center owners keep that brick and never try to cover over it.

I've always liked the 1990s trend where shopping centers had that eclectic brick/masonry exterior. Nowadays new shopping centers all tend to be modern, gray boxes.

Edited by zaphod
Typing fail
  • Like 1

I hope long term this shopping center gets replaced. Maybe it could even be done piecemeal, with the Target retained as 3 better blocks develop around it. Strip malls are a poor use of land, especially a piece of land as large and centrally located as this one.

But in the short term, this Target is going to make an absolute killing.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping for Sprouts but Target will be handy.

Traffic will be.... interesting.   But then I thought Trader Joes would be a mess and that ended up working ok.   Turning into this center going South on Shepherd or West on Westheimer is a mess though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveB said:

I was hoping for Sprouts but Target will be handy.

Traffic will be.... interesting.   But then I thought Trader Joes would be a mess and that ended up working ok.   Turning into this center going South on Shepherd or West on Westheimer is a mess though.

Yep already mentioned this intersection and leading up to it being a disaster! so yeah...it's going to be interesting...

having said that, it seems like this place is getting ready to open before too long.

anyone hear rumors of an opening day yet?

1 hour ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Wow.  Ever knew that. Any pic?

I could not find a picture of the Jimmie Greene Chevrolet dealership at 2611 S. Shepherd but I vaguely remember it though. I don't remember the last iteration of the building being anything unique like Knapp Chevrolet at the intersection of Houston and Washington Avenue. I did remark in this forum (Old Car Dealerships) in January of 2010 that I was told the owner of the property got a princely sum when he sold it for development as a shopping center.

• Like 1

I haven't found any pictures either.  This could be explained by it being a totally undistinguished building that I came to know all too well by having to take my first new car - a real POS - in for warranty work quite frequently.  Ahh, 1978 GM design, material, and build quality... haven't bought a GM product since. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmac said:

Not great quality at all, but this is from the January 28, 1955 Chronicle story about the opening of the dealership.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 6.53.59 PM.png

Other than different signs and different cars in the lot it looked pretty much the same 25 years later. 

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, gmac said:

Not great quality at all, but this is from the January 28, 1955 Chronicle story about the opening of the dealership.

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 6.53.59 PM.png

1955 was a great year to open a Chevrolet dealership. Advertising for the 1955 models called them "The Hot One" and they were with COMPLETELY NEW styling and an all new overhead valve V8 engine replacing the venerable but not nearly as powerful "stove bolt" six cylinder engine. The building was certainly not that exciting but, in those days I guess, the cars sold themselves.

Edited by Specwriter
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 10:03 AM, wilcal said:

2 days! Do you know if this is still the case?

Edit: just did some googling and found a HBJ article from earlier this month that says opening date is Oct. 25

Based on other store openings from around the country this weekend, Oct 21st is the soft opening and Oct 25th is the grand opening.

• Like 4