Higher prices, faster speeds part of Houston's 'tougher approach' to high-occupancy toll lanes

BeerNut

Higher prices, faster speeds part of Houston's 'tougher approach' to high-occupancy toll lanes

The proposed changes would apply to four of the five segments of HOT lanes, the lone exception being I-69 north of downtown, where traffic speeds remain above the 45 mph threshold. On the four remaining routes, the lanes will be open only to carpools, commuter buses and van pools from 6:30 a.m. to 8 a.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.

gallery_xlarge.jpg

I think 3+ was inevitable at least in the busier HOV lanes; some of the older entrances and exits are also really poorly designed.  The Gulf freeway has two places where cars are coming at you from both sides to enter, and the 610 exit/entrance you have to slow down to 15 to maneuver.

Does Metro actually have people in those enforcement booths? Or is it all centralized now?

No one is in the booth. I've been in enough bumper to bumper traffic on 59 to look at that booth between Kirby and Buff. Sp. and know no human has occupied that in a long time.

Ever since they opened the HOV for HOT, it made enforcement virtually impossible.

1.) How does a Metro police officer know if you've paid the toll via driving the in the HOT lane or used the HOV lane.... during hours both are allowed?

2a.) Are they really going to pull someone over during peak usage? That's going to hamper traffic A LOT more than a single illegal HOV user. 

2b.) They can only really enforce if you're exiting, or trying to enter the HOV lane. So...… unless they park a cop at every entrance and exit, its really impossible.

3.) Are the penalties of using the HOV strict enough to actually dissuade use. You have to figure that a ticket will cost you ~ $200-300. A HOT toll can be upwards of 6.5. 3-4 weeks of using the HOT lane illegally essentially  makes up for any ticket you get. 

On 2/25/2020 at 4:28 PM, DNAguy said:

1.) How does a Metro police officer know if you've paid the toll via driving the in the HOT lane or used the HOV lane.... during hours both are allowed?

A picture is taken of every car that uses the HoV lane. People look at every single picture and bill your EZ Tag account accordingly.

My brother's kid works for HCTRA doing this, so I make a face every time i go through the toll booths so he can have a laugh if he comes across it.

Archived