trymahjong

2/10/20 meeting for public input re: Bridge over Brazos street at Spur 527

2 minutes ago, bulldog said:

I haven't complained because I'm happy the city is finally fixing a bridge that has been literally falling apart for years.

Well, that's what people think is happening, but the reality is that the City is considering not rebuilding it or even tearing it down.  See the renderings at the top of this thread. If that's an issue for you, you need to send them feedback at Buildforward@houstontx.gov

3 hours ago, Ross said:

Until they have kids and want to live somewhere that isn't full of douchebag bars, has yards, garages, good schools, etc. We moved from Midtown to the Greater Heights after our son was born, and didn't want him playing outside with prostitutes, drug dealers, and drunks walking by. We could deal with those aspects when it was just my wife and I, but Midtown is a pretty child hostile area once they get past toddler stage.

There would be more families on the streets, and the streets would be much more hospitable to children, if half of them weren't mini-freeways with cars zooming down at 40-50 mph. 

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

There would be more families on the streets, and the streets would be much more hospitable to children, if half of them weren't mini-freeways with cars zooming down at 40-50 mph. 

Traffic was never an issue for us, or our neighbors. The issue was the street people hassling us, staring at us, asking for money, peeing in our yard, sleeping off a drunk against our fence, and other similar fun things. We lived East of Main, and traffic just wasn't an issue.

If cars are going 50 mph, then there's an enforcement issue, and you need to be calling HPD and the Constables every 20 minutes from every phone you own, writing letters to the Captain in charge of that area, writing the Mayor and council members, and anyone else you can think of. Ask for more lights and stop signs. The streets of Midtown are the same size they were when the original subdivisions were platted 100+ years ago, they weren't made wider in recent times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ross said:

The issue was the street people hassling us, staring at us, asking for money, peeing in our yard, sleeping off a drunk against our fence, and other similar fun things.

They were just enjoying the walkability of the neighborhood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ross said:

Traffic was never an issue for us, or our neighbors. The issue was the street people hassling us, staring at us, asking for money, peeing in our yard, sleeping off a drunk against our fence, and other similar fun things. We lived East of Main, and traffic just wasn't an issue.

If cars are going 50 mph, then there's an enforcement issue, and you need to be calling HPD and the Constables every 20 minutes from every phone you own, writing letters to the Captain in charge of that area, writing the Mayor and council members, and anyone else you can think of. Ask for more lights and stop signs. The streets of Midtown are the same size they were when the original subdivisions were platted 100+ years ago, they weren't made wider in recent times.

Ross, if we get more lights and stop signs on those streets, isn't that essentially the same as replacing the Spur with an at-grade avenue with signaled intersections (what I've been advocating)? Won't more lights and stop signs cause the imminent death of downtown as all of Sugarland turns elsewhere for office space?

Edited by H-Town Man

24 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Ross, if we get more lights and stop signs on those streets, isn't that essentially the same as replacing the Spur with an at-grade avenue with signaled intersections (what I've been advocating)? Won't more lights and stop signs cause the imminent death of downtown as all of Sugarland turns elsewhere for office space?

No, because the Spur will still be there. Closing the Spur would be a really bad thing. Controlling the traffic is reasonable. There's no reason to allow people to drive 50 on Midtown streets. We had a few issues with speeding on LaBranch, and they put up a stop sign. That lasted about a week before the head of Public Works at the time got pissed off about it delaying his drive home, and had it removed after performing a nominal traffic study. His response to complaints about speeding was "call HPD"

4 hours ago, Ross said:

No, because the Spur will still be there. Closing the Spur would be a really bad thing. Controlling the traffic is reasonable. There's no reason to allow people to drive 50 on Midtown streets. We had a few issues with speeding on LaBranch, and they put up a stop sign. That lasted about a week before the head of Public Works at the time got pissed off about it delaying his drive home, and had it removed after performing a nominal traffic study. His response to complaints about speeding was "call HPD"

Lol, you completely dodged what I said. If you're okay with adding more traffic lights along Smith, Milam, etc., that has the exact same effect as replacing the Spur with a grade-level avenue. It will add the same additional commute time (5 minutes).

21 hours ago, ToryGattis said:

Well, that's what people think is happening, but the reality is that the City is considering not rebuilding it or even tearing it down.  See the renderings at the top of this thread. If that's an issue for you, you need to send them feedback at Buildforward@houstontx.gov

Yes, I know it's silly to think that given the word from CoH and public news sources that all refer to repair and a schedule for it. The last public information was:

In a news release, Houston Public Works said the “bridge deck has deteriorated significantly and is being closed immediately to protect the community from falling debris.”

The 50-year-old bridge will take “several months” to repair, likely opening next summer, officials said.

Interesting that the repair process stalled out right after it started. This turn-it-into-a-park proposal seems like an opportunistic move by Westmoreland. As I said previously it's very clever on their part to use their special interest position to get benefits bestowed on themselves by the government at the expense of thousands of other citizens but I'm optimistic that won't be successful.

Don't worry, the city will be getting my input and that of a lot of other people.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bulldog said:

Yes, I know it's silly to think that given the word from CoH and public news sources that all refer to repair and a schedule for it. The last public information was:

Interesting that the repair process stalled out right after it started. This turn-it-into-a-park proposal seems like an opportunistic move by Westmoreland. As I said previously it's very clever on their part to use their special interest position to get benefits bestowed on themselves by the government at the expense of thousands of other citizens but I'm optimistic that won't be successful.

Don't worry, the city will be getting my input and that of a lot of other people.

Yep, that's what I thought too and then I saw the work stall and wondered what was going on.  The park proposal is from Houston Public Works, so it's very official.  They're seeking input now.

Also very suspicious that the first roll-out of this is at the Westmoreland Civic Association meeting? Also I'm pretty sure there are laws about announcing government meetings. 

"Brazos Bridge Vicinity Concept" project exists exactly nowhere I can find online. The people hyping it up are only referencing the Project # for the $4 million bridge repair contract, which was already awarded. Did they pull the contract after the demolition? This has shenanigans written all over it. I have lots of questions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ToryGattis said:

Yep, that's what I thought too and then I saw the work stall and wondered what was going on.  The park proposal is from Houston Public Works, so it's very official.  They're seeking input now.

What can we do to make them hear us?

I'm most considered about Bagby. I don't mind them adding a light but removing that entrance all together will very negatively impact me on a daily basis. 

Edited by iah77

4 minutes ago, iah77 said:

I'm most considered about Bagby. I don't mind them adding a light but removing that entrance all together will very negatively impact me on a daily basis. 

You can email

'Buildforward@houstontx.gov'

'Jeffrey.weatherford@houstontx.gov'

'districtc@houstontx.gov'

and reference Project N-320445-0006

14 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Smith, two blocks east, will still be an entrance to the spur, now with no cross traffic from Bagby. 💁‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 8:11 AM, trymahjong said:

TxDot has plans for Spur 527-

According to TxDoT spokesperson- 527 is targeted to be placed below ground from Alabama to I59.

That will allow commuters and residents the opportunity to experience NO ACCESS from 527........resulting in better informed opinions I’m sure. ;)

BTW

COH/PWE reported that when Bagby was entirely closed while Brazos bridge was dismantled NO. Repeat No complaints were received at all, from anyone concerning changes in access.

I'm not going to take credit for this, but I did leave a comment to that affect on the map when the city was asking for comments! I'm sure this has been in the works for awhile though. This would be an incredible change. Honestly, there is no reason to have the spur go all the way to Bagby and Brazos. They could simply end it at W Alabama with the outbound lane coming from Milam and the inbound lane connecting to Travis. As you have said, while this bridge has been out of commission there has been no complaints, and there really hasn't been any increase in traffic on Milam and Travis. Looking forward to seeing the diagrams for the rest of what is planned for this portion.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, iah77 said:

Why will shifting over two blocks to use that entrance will "very negatively" impact you?

Are you a downtown commuter or are you using it as a cut-through from 45 to 59?

• Thanks 1

I spend alot of time on 59 by those entrances and exits and the amount of traffic actually exiting into downtown in the mornings and afternoons during rush hour are tiiiny compared to the people trying to stay on 59 (frustratingly so, because people will just sit in the spur exit lanes and then cut back into 59). Actually, when I moved to the area to be closer to work I didn't really understand why those exits and entrances existed (I never had taken them as a young adult) because they seemed so empty and kind of out of place when compared to 288/59. But they are convenient. Despite the convenience, I don't really know why there are multiple exits cause they all just drop you into Midtown. 

I split time between the galleria and downtown for work, Bagby is crazy busy on the other side of 45 during rush hour, midtown bagby is nothing compared to that. You could probably lop of a whole lane on Fanin and San Jacinto and Caroline and no one would notice. Fanin especially. All three are just people gunning through midtown to get to DT or the highways/MD/Med Center (raises hand). 

To me, the writing probably was on the wall for the bagby exit/entrance when Whole Foods got there. It meant real development money is going to come into that area, and the way its currently constructed is basically unacceptable. Something had to change. You have three traffic lights on top of each other, so if you're texting your special someone while driving you might see a green but really you have a red (they almost got me). Then you realize that there is an entire neighborhood of actually very, very expensive houses to your right when taking the Bagby entrance ramp that are completely walled off. Whole foods probably looking at that like, nahhh bro, what we gotta do to give these people easier access to our store. I will bet everyone alot of money if another big tenant moves onto bagby in that new development by old st. danes, the city will have another "ah ha!" moment when it comes to walkability in that area. 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, wilcal said:

Why will shifting over two blocks to use that entrance will "very negatively" impact you?

Are you a downtown commuter or are you using it as a cut-through from 45 to 59?

Going from Houston Ave to Museum district using this is a "cut-through"? It's not shifting btw, it's ELIMINATING. How do you know the other lights/entrance can handle people turning during rush hour? Wait till all the highrises start getting occupied. Keep in mind they all have large garages and I can promise you 90% of those people don't plan on riding a bilke or bus to work lmao. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iah77 said:

Going from Houston Ave to Museum district using this is a "cut-through"? It's not shifting btw, it's ELIMINATING. How do you know the other lights/entrance can handle people turning during rush hour? Wait till all the highrises start getting occupied. Keep in mind they all have large garages and I can promise you 90% of those people don't plan on riding a bilke or bus to work lmao. 

source.gif

Edited by mollusk
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 1:55 PM, H-Town Man said:

I agree.
The stretch between Elgin and McGowen is especially notorious for north-south streets. It's .3 miles of signal-free  temptation, according to Google Maps.
Bear in mind that drag strips are only .25 miles.  A 2017 Prius can reach 80 mph in that distance. Heck, even the 82 Westheimer bus breaks the speed limit on Travis on a regular basis.
Some commuters seem to believe that the entrance ramp to 527 begins at the Pierce Elevated, and if they can catch green lights (or lights that were recently green) it's pedal to the metal, baby. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Heck, even the 82 Westheimer bus breaks the speed limit on Travis on a regular basis.

Wow those 82 drivers sound like speed demons.  I was on the 73 and we peaked at 20 on Bellfort - with no traffic, 35 mph speed limit

3 hours ago, iah77 said:

Going from Houston Ave to Museum district using this is a "cut-through"?

The "cut-through" that I was reference is that people are traveling 45S (like Heights area or whatever) and driving towards Sugarland and instead of going through the 45/59 interchange, their navigation apps are recommending that they get off the highway to drive Bagby to then get on the spur. 

Also, I don't think anyone is taking the spur to go to the Museum District. Can you clarify?

Edit: Diagram of people "cutting-through"

Red: Someone bypassing a highway by driving through a neighborhood.

Green: Their normal route.

Blue: The route that will be available to downtown commuters which will remain open. 

jVzxgDX.png

It's not shifting btw, it's ELIMINATING.

I meant shifting drivers over two streets to the other side of the same ramp onto the spur. The same spur entrance will still exist on Smith St. 

How do you know the other lights/entrance can handle people turning during rush hour?

Because the traffic engineers said so?

Wait till all the highrises start getting occupied. Keep in mind they all have large garages and I can promise you 90% of those people don't plan on riding a bilke or bus to work lmao. 

If you live in a highrise in Midtown why would they be trying to leave Midtown to go 59S during rush hour? Unless you are talking about somebody that is living in Midtown but then working in the Galleria or Sugarland, but then they would be reverse-commuting and not competing with traditional commuters. 

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1