Brokeback Mountain

aberdeen12

...and back to the original question --

This movie is showing in only one theater here because it's in very limited release. Even in LA and NY, it's only listed in 4 theaters in each city.

Why does everyone always assume Houston is being slighted?

For the record, I couldn't care less about this movie. It wouldn't make any difference if they were straight, either. It just seems lame to me.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This movie is showing in only one theater here because it's in very limited release. Even in LA and NY, it's only listed in 4 theaters in each city.

For the record, I couldn't care less about this movie. It wouldn't make any difference if they were straight, either. It just seems lame to me.

I totally agree but when "Y Tu Mama Tambien" was released it was only released in one theater screens here in Houston at the River Oaks. As soon it took off it was released in more theater screens across the nation and Houston. That movie had three things going against it it was entirely in Spanish, it had a gay seen, and full-frontal male nudity

I totally agree but when "Y Tu Mama Tambien" was released it was only released in one theater screens here in Houston at the River Oaks. As soon it took off it was released in more theater screens across the nation and Houston. That movie had three things going against it it was entirely in Spanish, it had a gay seen, and full-frontal male nudity

Reviews are quoting a "per screen" revenue for this movie and saying it's the highest of anything out right now. (No pun intended on the "out" comment)

So, that's surely what they're after. They limit the screens to start, so there's an artificial spike in demand and they get press for all the packed theaters in each town. Then, they roll it out gradually in response to increasing demand. Sounds like pretty solid marketing to me.

If you look around, most major cities only have one or two theaters showing this film. Mid-size cities haven't gotten it yet.

So, that's surely what they're after. They limit the screens to start, so there's an artificial spike in demand and they get press for all the packed theaters in each town. Then, they roll it out gradually in response to increasing demand. Sounds like pretty solid marketing to me.

Are we still talking about a movie, or are we talking about the Xbox 360?

I just watched the movie earlier tonight.

I have one word.

Brilliant!

All jokes aside - this is a watershed movie that EVERYONE should see. It will change you.

The movie's point is really not 'gay cowboys' as much as it IS about real love, loneliness, and being honest with yourself in your life choices. The one sex scene was just a brief footnote to the story and shouldn't scare away any reasonably open-minded adult viewers.

Houston is apparently paying attention - both shows Friday were sold out about 3 hours ahead, and the line when I saw the movie Saturday was wrapped around the building an hour before the first showing. The audience seemed to cross all boundaries - older 'society' women stood waiting in nasty weather with 20-somethings while gay couples chatted with straight couples in line. When the movie let out many people were unsuccessfully fighting back tears, myself included.

I plan to see it again as soon as I can.

Also, it doesn't matter that this is a watershed movie with tons of pre-hype. The core of the issue is, it's a low-budget film from an independent label with no A-list stars. I can name about 10 movies from this year alone that should have played on multiple screens (at the local multiplex) but didn't because they came from independent distributers.

I saw the movie over the weekend and really enjoyed the film. The actors were believable as cowboys in love. I went to the 5pm Sunday showing in Cinema 2 (it is actually playing on 2 screens at River Oaks) was full. The movie goers were mostly gay and lesbian couples with a few older straight couples thrown in.

I wasn't ready for the twist at the end...

I encourage everyone to go see it.

We saw it in Manhattan Xmas eve. There were all kinds of people in the audience-mostly straight from what I could gather.

It was nothing like I imagined. I encourage everyone to see it. Everyone.

It is tragic and telling all at once. You may see people you know in real life.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone explain why Brokeback Mountain, starring two of Hollywood's biggest stars, is only being shown at 1 cinema in Houston (It came out on Dec 9)?

where is it showing? i'd like to see it.

Also, it doesn't matter that this is a watershed movie with tons of pre-hype. The core of the issue is, it's a low-budget film from an independent label with no A-list stars. I can name about 10 movies from this year alone that should have played on multiple screens (at the local multiplex) but didn't because they came from independent distributers.

it really is the sad state of movie going. we get king kong and mr. and mrs. smith rammed down our throats, but good story-telling filmmaking gets ignored in this country. i end up watching a lot of foreign films.

We saw it in Manhattan Xmas eve. There were all kinds of people in the audience-mostly straight from what I could gather.

It was nothing like I imagined. I encourage everyone to see it. Everyone.

It is tragic and telling all at once. You may see people you know in real life.

A friend and I saw it on New Year's Even in Manhattan and it was a similar experience to what you described, nmainguy. I definitely enjoyed it, but it was definitely not a happy, feel good type of movie.

Can anyone explain why Brokeback Mountain, starring two of Hollywood's biggest stars, is only being shown at 1 cinema in Houston (It came out on Dec 9)?

Now that it has performed well it is playing on more screens around town. Take a look below:

Landmark River Oaks Theatre

2009 West Gray Street

Houston, TX (713) 866-8881

11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm, 7:00 pm, 8:00 pm, 10:00 pm

AMC Studio 30

2949 Dunvale Rd

Houston, TX (281) 319-4262

12:40 pm, 3:35 pm, 6:35 pm, 9:35 pm

AMC Willowbrook 24

17145 Tomball Pkwy

Houston, TX (281) 319-4262

10:40 am, 1:30 pm, 4:20 pm, 7:10 pm, 10:05 pm

AMC First Colony 24

3301 Town Center Blvd S

Sugar Land, TX (281) 319-4262

12:45 pm, 4:05 pm, 7:10 pm, 10:10 pm

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen this movie, nor will I ever. Just not my cup of tea.

I have heard a great deal of praise about the movie, but no one has said exactly what makes it so great. I know it won a Golden Globe, but I have my suspicions about that. Given the nature of many of the GG winners this year, I can

I have not seen this movie, nor will I ever. Just not my cup of tea.

I have heard a great deal of praise about the movie, but no one has said exactly what makes it so great. I know it won a Golden Globe, but I have my suspicions about that. Given the nature of many of the GG winners this year, I can

It won the Golden Globe because it has a great story line. It is well written.

Whether or not as you say " I can’t help but think the awards were a way for a generally Liberal Hollywood to give a slap in the face of the Conservative administration" is true.

indeed

is there going to be a huge backlash against e. annie proulx and larry mcmurtry now? eh, probably not (there are always those few, though...)

Two switch hitters cheating on their wives.

What a great story.

:angry2: What about American Beauty that is a story about a man who fantasied about a teenage girl. I do remember that won quite a few rewards. I have to take your sarcasm with a grain or salt Coog.

My point is that controversy sometimes makes for good story lines that appeal to audiences, and add to that good acting, directing and great distribution. Then you will hear the words "And the winner is.... The Oscar goes to...."

:angry2:

Don't be angry eelimon, it kinda IS what it boils down to. Give your significant other enough respect to tell them that you have found someone else and let them make the appropriate adjustments so they can move on with their lives. Don't carry on for 20 years behind their back and then expect forgiveness. "I just couldn't QUIT them honey." Go tell it to Jerry Springer !

"American Beauty" had more than ONE storyline going on in it. "Kaiser Sose" might have "fantasized" about her, but he didn't ACT on it, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggg difference.

Don't be angry eelimon, it kinda IS what it boils down to. Give your significant other enough respect to tell them that you have found someone else and let them make the appropriate adjustments so they can move on with their lives. Don't carry on for 20 years behind their back and then expect forgiveness. "I just couldn't QUIT them honey." Go tell it to Jerry Springer !

"American Beauty" had more than ONE storyline going on in it. "Kaiser Sose" might have "fantasized" about her, but he didn't ACT on it, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggg difference.

I understand your point but these two people lived in an other time when they thought they had to live as strait men. They figured the only way they could be with each other was if they committed adultery. Rather then come out and be truth full to themselves and those around them family friends coworkers.

TJones Brokeback Mountain is in the same state were gay men were still being killed for being gay well into the 1990's

Archived