Mardi Gras Galveston

• 3 weeks later...

One thing I am not looking forward to is traffic. Anyone have ideas where to park and catch a bus or streetcar to the Strand? I am not trying to be Hurricane Rita-ing it when I reach the island stuck in bumber to bumper while on the seawall or any major streets. I don't even feel like going over the causeway and if there was a way to take a boat, I would. Any recommendations on how to not spend the day in traffic on the island and how reliable are the streetcars going through the East End and the Strand?

i've been the last two years around 7pm on friday or saturday for night time activities and didn't have much of a problem. the causeway was clear and i just take harborside around to avoid the strand, then park at a friends place who lives by UTMB and cab it in for a few bucks.

i guess i've heard of horror stories during the day, maybe i've been lucky.

transtar extended their coverage all the way to the island:

transtar traffic map

• 6 months later...

fdsdic6.gif

Every year the Galveston park board gives an excuse to why attendance was down in that particular year's Mardi Gras parades.

In your opinion, what is keeping Galveston's Mardi Gras from becoming the premiere event on the gulf coast? New Orleans was hit pretty hard last year, not to mention we are working with a metro area that is larger. There seems to me to be a disconnect from what people actually want and what is provided. This is going to be my first year joining a crew, and I'd like to know what you guys think. Any suggestions or thoughts on how Galveston could improve its festival?

Every year the Galveston park board gives an excuse to why attendance was down in that particular year's Mardi Gras parades.

In your opinion, what is keeping Galveston's Mardi Gras from becoming the premiere event on the gulf coast? New Orleans was hit pretty hard last year, not to mention we are working with a metro area that is larger. There seems to me to be a disconnect from what people actually want and what is provided. This is going to be my first year joining a crew, and I'd like to know what you guys think. Any suggestions or thoughts on how Galveston could improve its festival?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Galveston try to keep its version of Mardi Gras a bit more family-friendly? That might be what's holding it back. Now if they let the Girls Gone Wild people go nuts on the event, that'd get people down there pronto.

Sex sells.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Galveston try to keep its version of Mardi Gras a bit more family-friendly? That might be what's holding it back. Now if they let the Girls Gone Wild people go nuts on the event, that'd get people down there pronto.

Sex sells.

Well, there is the "Munchkin Parade" for the children, but other than that I don't think there is a conscious effort to tame the event at all. There is certainly a lot of "showing of the breasts" and drunkenness going on, on the Strand.

What would you suggest TheNiche?

Interesting Info

AN UNAUTHORIZED HISTORY OF

MARDI GRAS ON GALVESTON ISLAND

Galveston's first recorded Mardi Gras celebration, in 1867, included a masked ball at Turner Hall (Sealy at 21st St.) and a theatrical performance from Shakespeare's "King Henry IV" featuring Alvan Reed (a justice of the peace weighing in at 350 pounds) as Falstaff. The party moved to the private home of Jackson Wheeler, a whiskey merchant on Mechanic Street later that evening, where it soon turned into a free-for-all orgy with men and women running around naked in full view of shocked passers-by. A constable later wrote that he was powerless to do anything, because many of the prominent men of the city were involved. Henri LaBonne, a Frenchman who allegedly operated a bordello on 3rd street at the time, furnished a bevy of females to the partygoers. By the following afternoon, the party was in full swing, with about 150 citizens on the premises, most of them intoxicated. One of the most influential men in town at the time was Milton Manor Chance, owner of a shipping line. His wife discovered that he was cavorting at the house on Mechanic St., and saddled the horse. When she arrived, she found her drunk husband in a "compromising" situation with one of the 3rd street girls, and clubbed him over the head with a flatiron. Chance was gravely wounded, and nearly died of the injury. He managed to survive, but suffered from severe headaches for many years afterwards. After three days the party broke up - but the damage had been done. The following year another wild party was held, although not as ribald as the original by any means. These parties continued sporadically, in the private domain, for many years. In 1985, Mardi Gras Galveston went public.

The Houston Chronicle said this about Mardi Gras in Galveston: "It's not the real thing, but it's still a good party". Ahem…. I guess we could say the same about some of the things that go on in H-Town, but why bother? After all, they're right, it IS a good party.

Mardi Gras was allegedly invented by a drunk French cross-dresser in Paris back in 1695 as an excuse to dress up as a female. The custom of throwing beads was started by American settlers who tossed beads from covered wagons to distract warring indian tribes while they made their getaway. The custom of showing breasts in exchange for beads was started by indian squaws at Manhattan Island, New York in the late 1600's. Reportedly, a British trading company exchanged $24 worth of beads and viewed over 6,000 native American breasts, receiving Manhattan Island as a door prize.

What would you suggest TheNiche?

Publicize the T&A.

Honestly, I've never been. Mardi Gras doesn't even register on my calendar until the City of Galveston puts out its annual "why we lost money again" press release. But I can tell you this: high school and college kids from down in the Rio Grande Valley are consistently driving to NO for Mardi Gras. I've never even heard Galveston brought up as an alternative idea. They probably just don't know about it. You've gotta get the word out.

It'd be helpful if some whiny religious folks could raise all hell trying to get police to crack down on the 'goings on'. If you can garner national media attention (and you might play the Katrina card to grab more attention) and place the idea in peoples' minds that Galveston is a playground for young horny drunks, it'll probably have a net positive effect at Mardi Gras. Oh, and if you can get COPS to film an episode displaying all the vices available in Galveston, that might help too. Don't worry about prospective Mardi Gras goers being scared away by all the focus on beefing up the police presence...they are young and invincible, after all.

Publicize the T&A.

Honestly, I've never been. Mardi Gras doesn't even register on my calendar until the City of Galveston puts out its annual "why we lost money again" press release. But I can tell you this: high school and college kids from down in the Rio Grande Valley are consistently driving to NO for Mardi Gras. I've never even heard Galveston brought up as an alternative idea. They probably just don't know about it. You've gotta get the word out.

It'd be helpful if some whiny religious folks could raise all hell trying to get police to crack down on the 'goings on'. If you can garner national media attention (and you might play the Katrina card to grab more attention) and place the idea in peoples' minds that Galveston is a playground for young horny drunks, it'll probably have a net positive effect at Mardi Gras. Oh, and if you can get COPS to film an episode displaying all the vices available in Galveston, that might help too. Don't worry about prospective Mardi Gras goers being scared away by all the focus on beefing up the police presence...they are young and invincible, after all.

LOL so true!

I don't think the organizers know just how unpopular the event is outside of the Houston metro.

Seriously, I go to school with kids from the Houston area and get responses like "Isn't Galveston's Mardi Gras small"? They're from the Houston area for goodness sake!! Don't even get me started on the Dallas kids. They have NO clue, none!

There is not nearly enough publicity either. How about some of those "cheap" late night commercials that show images like this across the entire state or even Oklahoma...

galvestongx8.png

Here are some of my suggestions:

1. Shut the Strand down at 2am instead of 12am.

2. Alcohol Zones (I was told by a cop to throw my beer away a street over from the Strand, while walking to a bar)

3. Mix up the entertainment genres - Its mostly rock and some blues

4. Invite some celebs down as Grand Marshals, then plug the hell out of it.

5. Do the Coca Cola can discount thing, like Astroworld and the Texans. Maybe talk to them about a special edition local purple and gold "Mardi Gras Galveston" can :)

I always hear people complain how they have to "pay". I say that in quotations because I've never been to a Galveston Mardi Gras so I'm not sure what aspect of Mardi Gras Galveston charges money for.

There's lots of Mardi Gras partying on the beach and along Seawall Blvd, and it's free, but all the official Mardi Gras "activities" are along The Strand downtown. It's completely fenced off so they can control access and charge admission to keep the riffraff out. It's not cheap. Eats and drinks are also overpriced.

Personally, I've outgrown Mardi Gras. I've been to New Orleans and Galveston during Mardi Gras, and for me, the whole experience is just overrated. College kids love it of course, because it's just like Spring Break, but I think more mature adults with families have learned to give it a wide berth.

I went to Galveston's version for the last time five or six years ago, and I ended up wondering why I even bothered. Unless you can afford to get into the upper-crust Mardi Gras Balls, you're relegated to the streets, where paying too much for watered down beer and dodging crowds of sloppy drunks loses its charm very quickly. When you've seen one Mardi Gras crewe parade you've seen them all. I'm done with Mardi Gras.

I too have outgrown merely Mardi Gras spectating. That is why I joined a krewe. The balls, building floats, and fund raising is more appealing to me. Standing outside with a cup of beer with the large crowds just isn't my thing anymore. Being involved is much more fulfilling ror me.

I used to go every year in high school and college... I stopped going because

1. The lack of bars/clubs on the Strand - once I hit 21, I wanted to go OUT down there - go barhopping like in New Orleans... then do some dancing. There's like one (?) place to dance there, and only a handful of bars.

2. I felt unsafe... the thug population there got out of control. I know a lot of people who have moved to Houston and have never been to Galveston - they've heard it's dangerous.

I think Galveston in general is on the upswing... the word needs to get out. The last time I was in Galveston, I was so impressed at how the Strand looked. I don't think there's been a lot of press about it though.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well lets see, I used to frequently make the drive from Dallas to Galveston and the coast for beach weekends. I had never before had a problem just showing up in Galveston, till this one time when it was Mardi Gras weekend. Suddenly rooms were priced $200 over their regular prices. It was insane! So we cruised away from Galveston to find a place to stay and planned to check out this Mardi Gras thing the next year. Boy was that a mistake. We had illusions of a similar New orleans style mardi gras. First we had to park...HAHAHA. $20 down.

Then we wait in line for 20 minutes to buy $20 a person tickets to stand in a fenced in street area that was not roomy enough to have the stench of the Porto potties far enough away. Oh did I mention they did sell beer and watered down beverages on the street but probably because hardly anyone could fit into the maybe handful of bars located in this cage of an event. So bring sunblock since its pretty tough to find a place out of the sun. I think I also witnessed about three frat boy type fights. So at least the entertainment was covered.

I'm reallly not trying to be nasty about Galveston's Mardi Gras, but its really hard not too. They are capable of so much more. Not everything has to be a controlled cash event. How about just having a reason to get people together to have fun and stimulate the local economy.

• 2 months later...
You have to pay to see a parade? That sucks.

Not for the parade on the Seawall, just for the festivities in The Strand area. It was a good deal for awhile for the organizers, because it kept out the people they intended to keep out (those without money to spend).

Cool. That's more like it.

I hate having to pay to get into a festival where I have to pay to buy things. I was once driving through downtown on the weekend and of course it was completely empty - except for this huge Vietnamese festival near city hall. And I was starving, so I parked and tried to get in and buy some food. But they were charging like $15 or something to get in per person and then you had to pay again for food. So I went to Mai's instead. I'm sure more people would have been willing to check that out if it was free. Same with Mardi Gras I think.

• 1 month later...

"I'm reallly not trying to be nasty about Galveston's Mardi Gras, but its really hard not too. They are capable of so much more. Not everything has to be a controlled cash event. How about just having a reason to get people together to have fun and stimulate the local economy."

We will see what happens next year, since it will not be a controlled cash event.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the idea is great, cause you always get charged to park in the first place... so why pay again to get in and then again for food and drink when there are very few outlets for either on the strand. I'd rather just go elsewhere. (spoken from experience)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived